Anyone overdriving their Jetbeam bc10 with an rcr123?

Kenaz

Newly Enlightened
Hello,

I read that you can use an rcr123 in the jetbeam-bc10 and get over 400 lumens from it. I tried it and it certainly works. I also read that it is unsafe and sucks the battery dead in 12minutes. My question is, is anyone running their light like this and what are your thoughts? What are your runtimes? Any safety issues detected? Also, if this is unsafe, what could the danger be, could the battery actually explode from this?

JohnnyBravo

Enlightened
I've been using a 14500 in a BA10 for a few months now, and it's fine. I'm about to order a BC10 and use some AW IMR 16340s in it. I've contacted JB, JBUSA, and even Cree. They all say the XPGR5 can handle a battery w/ 4.22 volts off the charger just fine. I'm not concerned w/ runtime in my small EDCs. For serious runtime needs, I use either my Maglite 2D LED or LifeGear 3C.

davyro

Enlightened
I have a bc10 & I've never ran it on a RCR123a but after reading the last thread by JohnnyBravo saying he's been in touch with JB & Cree & that they've okayed
the use of a RCR123a i will try it tonight & get back to you with my opinion & observations.

offthetrail

Newly Enlightened
Read selfbuilts review of the BC10. Battery discharge rate on a rcr123 is around 5C, which is extremely dangerous. This is not a good idea at all. An IMR cell would be ok, but it easy to overdisharge since it would be non-protected. Be careful.

davyro

Enlightened
I tried one of my AW RCR123a's in my bc10 & it wouldn't turn on.So for me that was a bad sign so i took it straight out
& i'll not be trying it again.:thumbsdow

JohnnyBravo

Enlightened
I tried one of my AW RCR123a's in my bc10 & it wouldn't turn on.So for me that was a bad sign so i took it straight out
& i'll not be trying it again.:thumbsdow
Davyro, does it work fine now w/ the other batts? I just realized something. With the AW IMR 14500 in my BA10, it too didn't work. I then learned I needed that little bitty magnetic spacer. Presto! Works like a charm... Perhaps the AW positive ends just don't quite meet up just right inside the B series lights?

TheExpert

Newly Enlightened
That is all i used in my bc10 and it worked fine, dont think it was anywhere near 400 lumens though. didnt have any problems but that is not to say that it is safe.

think2x

Flashlight Enthusiast
My BC10 on an AW protected 16340 was pulling between 1.6 and 1.7A at the tail so I thought I'd wait until I get some IMR's

HIDblue

Enlightened
I've found that some of my AW RCR123's will work in my BC10 while others won't. Seems like the plastic ring (polarity protection) on the positive end of the light is preventing the + side of the AW RCR123 battery from making contact.

Otherwise, I haven't had any problems with it...but I haven't really pushed the run-time issue.

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've found that some of my AW RCR123's will work in my BC10 while others won't. Seems like the plastic ring (polarity protection) on the positive end of the light is preventing the + side of the AW RCR123 battery from making contact.

Otherwise, I haven't had any problems with it...but I haven't really pushed the run-time issue.

It's an issue of abusing the battery, at least. A 5C rate on most lithium ions is bad bad news for longevity of the cell.

amaretto

Newly Enlightened
It's an issue of abusing the battery, at least. A 5C rate on most lithium ions is bad bad news for longevity of the cell.
Why 5C rate?

"My BC10 on an AW protected 16340 was pulling between 1.6 and 1.7A at the tail "

I'm using my BC10 with AW16340 too, no problems. Around 320 lm.

davyro

Enlightened
Davyro, does it work fine now w/ the other batts? I just realized something. With the AW IMR 14500 in my BA10, it too didn't work. I then learned I needed that little bitty magnetic spacer. Presto! Works like a charm... Perhaps the AW positive ends just don't quite meet up just right inside the B series lights?

Yes it works fine with my primaries again,thanks for the tip about the magnetic spacer,i should imagine it will have to be pretty small for it to work
when i get my hands on one i'll try it again.:thumbsup: