Quark MiNi AA² with clicky on the end?

esrevenge

Newly Enlightened
I think this light would be perfect for me...(I watched the recent NutNFancy review), but after reading up this light has no tail clicky...:(

Im not a big fan of twist to turn on since I like to use one hand to click the end.

Nice fit/finish
Cheap
Modes
DEEP CARRY CLIP - I really like this feature and hate near mid-mounted clips.

Dislike
No tail click

So can someone please recommend a Quark MiNi AA² alternative with a clicky?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

weez82

Enlightened
The Preon 2 is close.

Very thin
nice fit/finish
inexpensive
lo/med/high and hidden special mode
deep clip but not as sturdy as the mini aa^2 clip
has clicky switch
comes in CW/NW/High CRI. I recommend the NW or CRI

esrevenge

Newly Enlightened
Im not sure of the terms but I much prefer the types where I can do a momentary on, the same as on my Streamlight Stylus Pro and E21. So I guess that would be called the forward? (but its not a deal-breaker)

Walking my dog at night in the field behind my house if I hear something I just grab my light and press the clicky...with the leash in my other hand. To have to twist the little bezel at the front one or two times, then aim it is not what Im used to.

But the Quark Mini AA2 looks great because its very slim and takes AA...I think it would be a nice upgrade from my Stylus Pro but I would prefer the fwd clicky...

Thanks!

esrevenge

Newly Enlightened
The Preon 2 is close.

Very thin
nice fit/finish
inexpensive
lo/med/high and hidden special mode
deep clip but not as sturdy as the mini aa^2 clip
has clicky switch
comes in CW/NW/High CRI. I recommend the NW or CRI

Thanks...I did consider that as my main EDC now is actually a Streamlight Stylus Pro...but the Preon 2 is more of a penlight and not as rugged as the Quark Mini AA2...or at least in the pictures the Quark Mini AA2 looks more robust...while not being as large as something like my LD20 or E21.

But thanks for the suggestion I may go with that...

Kestrel

Flashaholic
Another possibility is an LD01 head for your SL SP 2xAAA? I might be mistaken, but I thought that the Preon 2 is a reverse clicky? (Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.) I like the forward-clicky of my SL SP, so for the last year or two I've been using a Fenix LD01 head on my SL SP for somewhat-comparable output & modes to the Preon 2, but with the Streamlight body & tail clickie. You might like that option as well. :shrug:

Used LD01's can be pretty cheap when you can find them, $20-$25 or so if you're patient. It's a great upgrade for your SL SP.

Last edited:

esrevenge

Newly Enlightened
I actually have an LD20, its an awesome light...the Fit and finish on it is superb, the black anodizing, the smoothness of the bezel, everything is great.

The only issues I have with the LD20 are:

The stupid clip...its too much towards the center of the light
The clip is kind of sharp around the edges...the clip makes the light go lens up.

So I ended up just taking off the clip.

Another thing, and I dont know if this is normal or not, is that my LD20 takes a while to change modes from the clicky...just pressing the switch wont do anything. You have to depress and hold for about 2 seconds. Id prefer a faster tap to move up in modes.

Other than the the LD20 is great...I was hoping the Mini AA2 would be a bit thinner so I could carry it in my pocket and not be so tactical. But it doesnt have a switch on the end :( and I cant really find anything else comparable, ie short and slim 2AA with deep clip and nice quality.

Thanks for all the help, Im sorry to be so picky.