Recommend batteries/chargers for TK41 and SC600w

Fithos

Newly Enlightened
I have finally decided on a flashlight combo. For my main light I will be getting the SC600w and for my car I will be getting the TK41. I am not too familiar with batteries and chargers and could use some recommendations. I will be getting 16 AA rechargeable batteries and 2 18650's so that I can always have a set charging while using the flashlight. I would prefer to order the batteries/chargers through amazon since I have a prime account so 2nd day shipping is free.

Thanks in advance!

samgab

Flashlight Enthusiast
Easy:
*eneloop NiMH AAs.
*Maha MH-C9000 or MH-C801D AA charger.
*AW 2900 18650's (or Redilast)
*Pila IBC li-ion charger.

With those, you're all set with the best and most reliable cells and chargers.

01xr650r

Newly Enlightened
I have heard really good things about this charger. It is a "smart" one, and I believe it also has a refresh function. Most people will recommend Sanyo Eneloops for the AA batteries. There are other better chargers with more functions, but unless you plan on using them I think the Sony charger is your best bet. You will most likely want low self discharge batteries. They don't discharge from just sitting near as quickly as normal rechargeable batteries do. Costco has a 10 pack of AA eneloops for ~20$ right now, not sure if yours would have it or if you have a membership, just an idea.

I can't really make a recommendation for 18650 or charger. I am looking at getting into them at sometime, but I can't decide whether to buy the redilast or other similar "good" cells, same trouble with charger. Maybe someone smarter on that subject can make a recommendation for you.

LGT

Enlightened
I have finally decided on a flashlight combo. For my main light I will be getting the SC600w and for my car I will be getting the TK41. I am not too familiar with batteries and chargers and could use some recommendations. I will be getting 16 AA rechargeable batteries and 2 18650's so that I can always have a set charging while using the flashlight. I would prefer to order the batteries/chargers through amazon since I have a prime account so 2nd day shipping is free.

Thanks in advance!
Go with what I'm sure many posts will suggest. AW 18650's and the Pila charger. Up front the cost may be higher then other brands, but trying to get by on the cheap, as I did with my ET 18650's which have drained down to 0.14, thereby making it trash, will only end up costing more in the long run. I'm far from an expert on rechargables, but that is just my personal experience. I also tink the SC600 is a nice buy not only because of it's highest output, but because of the low lumens it is capable of.

LGT

Enlightened

Thanks in advance!
Go with what I'm sure many posts will suggest. AW 18650's and the Pila charger. Up front the cost may be higher then other brands, but trying to get by on the cheap, as I did with my ET 18650's which have drained down to 0.14, thereby making it trash, will only end up costing more in the long run. I'm far from an expert on rechargables, but that is just my personal experience. I also tink the SC600 is a nice buy not only because of it's highest output, but because of the low lumens it is capable of.

tre

Flashlight Enthusiast
AW or Redilast 1850 cells and a Pila charger as suggested above.

Yes, get the Sanyo Enelops for AA cells.

For an AA NiMh charger I like the Lacrosse BC-700 better because it will give me stats/display for every bay in the charger at the same time. The Maha display only shows stats for 1 bay at a time so you have to cycle through them to see what is going on with each battery.

moldyoldy

Flashlight Enthusiast
For AA NiMH LSD cells: although the C-9000 is very good, the BC-700 is smaller and still gives some info on the cells. For a really nice travel charger in the US or Europe, my extended family uses the Sony BCG34xxxx charger available on Amazon. Charges from 1-4 cells and with a full discharge function.

For the 18650 cells, both the dual channel Pila and the 4Sevens single-channel charger are highly rated based on tests. For a single-cell 18650 light, I would recommend the 4Sevens single channel charger as being more versatile than the Pila charger. The 4Sevens charger is settable for 3.6 or 4.2 volts and for 0.5A or 1.0A charge rate.

FWIW, I had both the Pila and 4Sevens charger and gave away the Pila charger in an effort to shrink my overload of stuff! Same reason for disposing of the C-9000 charger - relatively large. I kept the LaCrosse and Sony chargers. Size counts when traveling!

cbthedookie

Newly Enlightened
Agree on the TK-41 comments regarding throw. I'm new to the whole flashlight affinity, but have bought a few that are recommend on the boards as I learn what I like. Last night, I finally actually used one of my recently acquired lights - the TK-41 - to help my daughter find a pendant necklace that she had dropped outside. While the light is crazy bright, it really wasn't great in trying to scan across the ground looking for a sparkly item. I'm not sure you'll end up loving this as a "glove box" light, but definitely has the silly grin factor when firing up the brightness...

An on topic - the eneloops totally rock!

mmace1

Enlightened
For the TK41 - all recommendations will be Eneloops.

The MQR06 Eneloop-brand charger is excellent. Not as intense as the one in the first post, but compact/sleek/high quality. It's a smart charger w/ 4 independent charging channels. You can get a new one for $20 shipped on Ebay.

One example on Ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-SANYO-N..._Photographic_Accessories&hash=item3a6c57b071

Actually not to hi-jack, but what advantages does the Maha charger have over the above? I know some, but am unclear what. For charging more battery varieties/testing...? [h=1][/h]

Last edited:

samgab

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, the MQR06 is a fine charger, I'm sure.
But it has a fixed rate. That is 1680mA with 1 cell in it, 1120mA with 2 cells, and 560mA with 4 cells. There is no way to alter that.
The C9000 has adjustable charge rate, anywhere from 100mA to 2000mA in 100mA steps for each of the 4 channels, they are all completely independent... The charge rate doesn't depend on the other channels being occupied or not.
The MQR06 has no discharge or condition function.
The C9000 has the option of cycling cells multiple times, a completely selectable refresh and analyse function, or a break in function which emulates the standard method for determining a cell's capacity.
The C9000 has a selectable discharge rate also, anywhere from 100mA to 1000mA in 100mA increments.

On the other hand, whilst being simpler and not having the full customization of the C9000, the C801D has the following advantages:
8 independent Bays, so the full 8 AA cells that the TK41 takes can be recharged all at one time.
Each bay can run at up to 2000mA per bay, all at once.
There is a discharge/recharge refresh function.

From a supplier such as hamradio.com , the C9000 can be bought for $40 or the C801D for $50, so in my opinion, for the extra benefits, either would be worth the spend.
In the long term, the ability to perform a deep discharge/refresh cycle could improve the longevity of the cells and their ongoing capacity.
On the other hand, eneloops are rated for as much as 1500 cycles, so even without refresh cycles, I'm sure that with just the MQR06 or similar they'll do fine for many years to come.
So whatever suits the individual's needs I suppose. All three are good in their own ways. :thumbsup:

Edit: These digital dingus reviews are useful and informative for the C801D and the C9000.

Last edited:

tre

Flashlight Enthusiast
I found the Sanyo charger terminated early. I could not always get my Eneloops to fully charge like I can with a C9000 or BC-700. The BC-700 also has all the same functionality as samgab listed but it does not have a 2A charge rate for the highest rate. You don't want to use 2A for Eneloops anyway. I once tried to charge Eneloops at 2A and they got hot and hissed - not good. Of course that was a test in an MD-3000 battery cooker....um...I mean charger. You will want all of the other functionality.

Last edited:

Fithos

Newly Enlightened
In looking for the AW 18650 2900 mAh battery I came across the "new" AW 18650 Protected 3100 mAh. Would this be better or should I stick to the 2900? Thanks for all the input, gonna order the pila charger and 18650 batteries today.

Chidwack

Enlightened
In looking for the AW 18650 2900 mAh battery I came across the "new" AW 18650 Protected 3100 mAh. Would this be better or should I stick to the 2900? Thanks for all the input, gonna order the pila charger and 18650 batteries today.

I don't have any AW or Redilast 3100 batteries. I do have some of the 2900s in both brands. I also have some Callie Kustoms 3100. It has been said that all three are made by Panasonic and are very similar. To tell you the truth, I have a very hard time telling the difference in any of these three batteries in real usage. If I buy more, I will buy the Callie Kustoms simply because they cost less.

kartracer77

Newly Enlightened
I recommend (and have) the Lacrosse BC-700 and Eneloops for the AAs. I like having all 4 channels being displayed at once.

Since you alread ordered the Pila, I will just give you some info on what I have. I am considering the Pila also but will wait for version 2 of the I4 (I had the jetbeam I4 but sent it back under the recall.)
I have a terengy 18650 charger. 2 bay independent charger. it terminates my lion cells at 4.20 and my aw IMRs at 4.16. I also have 2 different ultrafire chargers that terminate my IMRs above 4.2 volts, bad for them so I dont use them anymore. if you use IMRs I would avoid the ultrafire chargers. So I am still looking for a 4 channel multicell cell type charger. Does anyone know the termination voltage for Aw lion and aw IMR with the Pila charger? I wish there was a "BC-700 type" charger for Lion cells.

Latest posts