Which is better? Fenix TK-70, Olight SR-90 or Nitecore TM-11?

HighlanderNorth

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am considering buying a light in the 2000+ lumen range in the fairly near future(2-3 months, I dont need it right now). But by then, there will probably be at least one more available option in addition to the three listed above, but assuming there isnt, I'd like to know how these 3 compare from the standpoint of people who've owned them, or know something about them.......

The Fenix TK-70(2200L) is the cheapest, at about $229. The Nitecore TM-11(2000L) is next at about $260, and the Olight SR-90(2200L) is a good bit higher at around $350 - $450.

Whats odd though, is the big difference in battery requirements between the 3 lights. The SR-90 uses 6 18650's, the TM-11 uses 4 18650's or 8 123's, but the TK-70 uses only 4 D's, but only NiMH batteries are to be used in it.

However, even though these lights have increasingly higher battery power from one to the next, the TK-70 with only 4 D's seems to have equally good battery life at similar power settings, using the same LED, although the TM-11 has 3 XML's.

However, I've read 2 times about people who claimed to have minor problems with the TK-70, but the lights could obviously be returned under warranty.

It's hard to judge and compare the beam profile of these lights on videos, because often the spill beam cant hardly be seen in the vid, and the hot spot isnt all that clear in the videos, plus people often overestimate the ranges that they are spotting with the lights.

So, does anyone have an opinion on which of these 3 lights is the better choice?

Also, is there another 2000+ watt LED flashlight that I'm unaware of that may be a better choice, but not too expensive?

tre

Flashlight Enthusiast
1) TM11 is a very floody light with no throw. The SR-90 and TK-70 are very long range throwers with intense beams. Apples and oranges. You need to decide which type of light you want.

2) The SR90 is an older light that advertises emitter lumens. In reality it is about 1300 OTF luems compared to the TK-70 at a true 2200 lumens.

3) The SR-90 is more $$ but the batteries/charger are included/integrated. The TK-70 requires you to purchase 4 D cell NiMh batteries and a charger so add that into the price.

The throw is pretty equal between the SR-90 and TK-70 so you need to consider factors like cost, size, UI, output, etc.

Lastly, don't get too "lumen happy". The TK-70 and SR-90 are HUGE lights. You can get nearly 1000 lumens in a much smaller light that is much easier to carry around. There are a ton of lights between 700 and 1000 lumens that are anywhere from 5" long to 10" long and much cheaper.

Chidwack

Enlightened
What Tre said is true. Not only are there a lot of lights much smaller and less expensive that still give out 800 to 1000 lumens, there are many that still give you more throw than most people will ever need or use. It's nice to have lots of throw to show off with but when it really comes right down to it, a lot of light at reasonable distances is used far more often. For me, I'm starting to go for versatility in my most used lights.

anomalyconcept

Newly Enlightened
There's a few videos on the SR-90 and whole bunch of others lights compared by one of the guys from Going Gear. It's almost comical how much light the SR-90 puts out. They review a wide range of lights under the same setup and conditions, so even if the distance estimations are off, you can still compare them relative to each other. I'm not one for the ridiculously bright lights (they've got the wow! cool factor, but aren't practical for my uses), but my choice would be the SR-90 solely for the overkill.

litimag

Newly Enlightened
So the SR-90 claims of 2.2k lumens are taken from a different set of measurement criteria than the Tk-70? If the 1300 you say is right, then i assume the reflector is very good?

peterharvey73

Flashlight Enthusiast
1) Size
The TM-11 is large @ 4x18650 parallel, compact at 135mm x 60mm, and 343 grams plus batteries.
The TK70 and SR90 are oversized @ 4xD's and 6x18650's respectively.
The TK70 @ 405 mm long x 106mm bezel, and 769 grams plus batteries.
The SR90 @ more than 336mm long x 100mm bezel, and some 1.5 kg in weight including batteries.

2) Beam Type
The TM11 is designed with a shallow reflector, and is very compact at just 135mm long, resulting in a wide spill width, and a true floody beam, with a modest throw of only 283 meter ANSI.
The TK70 has deep reflectors, contributing to it's physically length at 405mm, so it has a narrow spill, but a prominent corona, resulting in a flood-throw type beam; the actual ANSI throw of the TK70 has not yet been objectively tested by independent reviewers.
The SR90 is a single emitter, so it tends to have pure throw, measured to be 634 meters by Selfbuilt.

Thus 3 different lights:
1 totally smaller in size, and pure flood.
The other two similar in being oversized, but different beam characteristics - pure throw of the SR90, versus in-between flood-throw of the TK70.

Question is:
1) Do you prefer large, or oversized?
2) What type of beam profile do you prefer? Flood, throw, or in-between flood-throw???
Therein lies your personal best choice.

If you want large 3x18650, and flood-throw, then you may have to consider the Jetbeam RRT-3 Triple XM-L...

Last edited:

tre

Flashlight Enthusiast
So the SR-90 claims of 2.2k lumens are taken from a different set of measurement criteria than the Tk-70? If the 1300 you say is right, then i assume the reflector is very good?

Correct, it is very wide reflector which produces great throw. It is also a single SST-90 emitter. The TK-70 has 3 XML emitters and 3 reflectors. Each reflector is a much smaller diameter than the SR-90 reflector but the three taken together produce great throw. The XML is also a much smaller emitter than the SST-90. A normally driven XML has a higher surface brightness than a normally drive SST-90 which helps the throw of the XML compared to the SST-90. That is why the TK-70 can use smaller reflectors and have the same throw (of course the raw brute force of 3 emitters helps a bit too).

Most of the lights produced today are measured according to the ANSI/FL1 standard for output (lumens), beam intensity (cd), and throw (to .25 lux). The TK-70 is measured according to such standards. The light coming out of the front of the flashlight is measured after it heats up a bit. The SR-90 was produced before such measurement standards existed so it is using theoretical max lumens produced by the emitter in a perfect world with no heat, a perfect driver, a perfect lens, etc. These things don't exist in the real world so the lumen claims for the SR-90 are totally incorrect by todays measuring standards. Bigchelis measured the SR-90 in his sphere at 1300 lumens or so.

the actual ANSI throw of the TK70 has not yet been objectively tested by independent reviewers.

Actually, I've measured it. I measure all my lights beam intensity in a climate controlled, humidity controlled environment. I measure at 5 meters and 10 meters, take the average of the two measurements and correct back to 1 meter to get beam intensity. I measured my TK-70 at 100,550 lux @ 1 meter. That works out to an ANSI standard beam distance of 634 meters for the TK-70.

Last edited:

peterharvey73

Flashlight Enthusiast
Actually, I've measured it. I measure all my lights beam intensity in a climate controlled, humidity controlled environment. I measure at 5 meters and 10 meters, take the average of the two measurements and correct back to 1 meter to get beam intensity. I measured my TK-70 at 100,550 lux @ 1 meter. That works out to an ANSI standard beam distance of 634 meters for the TK-70.

Yes Tre, these triple XM-L's, and even just a single XM-L can be quite amazing.
It is possible that your TK70 could match, or even out-throw the SR90 altogether with a flood-throw beam.
For example, the TN11 1x18650 can flood-throw some 300 meters, the Scorpion V2 37mm turbohead throwing 271 meters, thus both out-throwing the pure throw Armytek Predator XP-G R5 and Lumitop TD-15 R5's both throwing an inferior 259 meters.
Admittedly, the TN11 is cheating with a 41mm bezel diameter, over the 37mm bezel of the Predator, and 38mm bezel of the TD-15.
However, point made, these XM-L's and triple XM-L provide a flood-throw type beam, yet can totally out-throw their old "pure" throw predecessors like the SR90, Armytek Predator R5, Lumitop TD-15 R5 etc.
I don't think we can generalise about their performance anymore, eg saying that a single emitter will definitely 100% out-throw a triple emitter; I think we must judge them on an individual case by case basis.

Over the next 12 to 24 months, I wouldn't be surprised if technology advanced, and both single XM-L's and triple XM-L's could actually out-throw their previous famous thrower counterparts, with a more useful flood-throw beam?

Last edited:

HighlanderNorth

Flashlight Enthusiast
1) Size
The TM-11 is large @ 4x18650 parallel, compact at 135mm x 60mm, and 343 grams plus batteries.
The TK70 and SR90 are oversized @ 4xD's and 6x18650's respectively.
The TK70 @ 405 mm long x 106mm bezel, and 769 grams plus batteries.
The SR90 @ more than 336mm long x 100mm bezel, and some 1.5 kg in weight including batteries.

2) Beam Type
The TM11 is designed with a shallow reflector, and is very compact at just 135mm long, resulting in a wide spill width, and a true floody beam, with a modest throw of only 283 meter ANSI.
The TK70 has deep reflectors, contributing to it's physically length at 405mm, so it has a narrow spill, but a prominent corona, resulting in a flood-throw type beam; the actual ANSI throw of the TK70 has not yet been objectively tested by independent reviewers.
The SR90 is a single emitter, so it tends to have pure throw, measured to be 634 meters by Selfbuilt.

Thus 3 different lights:
1 totally smaller in size, and pure flood.
The other two similar in being oversized, but different beam characteristics - pure throw of the SR90, versus in-between flood-throw of the TK70.

Question is:
1) Do you prefer large, or oversized?
2) What type of beam profile do you prefer? Flood, throw, or in-between flood-throw???
Therein lies your personal best choice.

If you want large 3x18650, and flood-throw, then you may have to consider the Jetbeam RRT-3 Triple XM-L...

Yeah, I'd much prefer an intermediate flood/throw type light over just a pure thrower. Especially if the pure thrower uses an older LED that is only equal in throw to a newer flood/throw type, but with only a narrow focused beam.

I'd rather have the best of both worlds if possible........

justanotherguy

Enlightened
1) TM11 is a very floody light with no throw. The SR-90 and TK-70 are very long range throwers with intense beams. Apples and oranges. You need to decide which type of light you want.

2) The SR90 is an older light that advertises emitter lumens. In reality it is about 1300 OTF luems compared to the TK-70 at a true 2200 lumens.

3) The SR-90 is more $$ but the batteries/charger are included/integrated. The TK-70 requires you to purchase 4 D cell NiMh batteries and a charger so add that into the price.

The throw is pretty equal between the SR-90 and TK-70 so you need to consider factors like cost, size, UI, output, etc.

Lastly, don't get too "lumen happy". The TK-70 and SR-90 are HUGE lights. You can get nearly 1000 lumens in a much smaller light that is much easier to carry around. There are a ton of lights between 700 and 1000 lumens that are anywhere from 5" long to 10" long and much cheaper.

Like the Lambda Varapower stuff? I might list mine soon.Batteries and all.
Tony

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
1) TM11 is a very floody light with no throw.

Maybe I am a bit particular here but: if a light uses reflector, it does mean it has some kind of hotspot. If it has some kind of hotspot and 2000lm it does mean it should have SOME throw...:poke: :)

peterharvey73

Flashlight Enthusiast
The TM11 actually has 286 meters of throw according to Selfbuilt's independent tests.
Not bad for something only 135mm long.
And, if you like the Zebralight SC600's 107mm length, 1x18650's and 750 lumen flood with 145 meters of throw, surely you must like the TM11's 2000 lumens of flood and 286 meters of throw.
Both lights use very similar concepts...

JudasD

Enlightened
sorry to resurrect an oldish thread. Does anyone have any pictures of the flood from a tk70 and tm11 as comparison? I currently have a tk70 and am interested in if the tm11 has even more flood. I do realize that the throw is completely different between the two. I am only curious about the flood aspect here.

Thanks,
JD

peterharvey73

Flashlight Enthusiast
TK70: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1Wun9ct7RE
TM11: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K21RyStbwGQ

I don't know of any wall shots of the TK70.
The best I can do to help you here is for you to look at Marshall's Flashlight Comparisons 2.1 on youtube.
You will notice that the larger and deeper reflectored TK70 has more throw, and a narrower spill.
While the smaller and shallower Tiny Munster has less throw, but a much wider area of illumination.
Hope that helps...

tonkem

Enlightened
Perhaps I can throw out a new name to the mix.. Lupine Betty TL, to be released next week at Gretnabikes.com. I know the price is high at over $800, but your choice of beam angles starting at 15 deg, then 22 deg, and lastly 26 deg, all over 2000 lumens on high. The 26 deg beam is 2600 lumens, measured lumens, not at the emitter. The Betty TL uses 7 Cree XML LEDs. I own a Lupine Wilma TL which puts out 1100 lumens on high(which currently uses a combination of the Cree XPG and XML LED's depending on the degree beam you want, and though they are thermal regulated, it puts out a massive amount of light, compared to other lights I have owned, very floody and throws a bit as well. I have owned many surefires, as well as a Polarion PH40 4000 lumen HID and I love the size and power of the Lupine lights. They are primarily a bike light manufacturer, but have over the last couple of years got into flashlights, and I am glad they did :) I also purchased a Lupine Piko X duo headlamp and have been happy with it as well. They are a bit expensive, but you get what you pay for sometimes, and you can mount them on your bike and take them for a ride at night. Talk about versatility. :)

Good luck in your search.

If you want more information about the Lupine flashlights, go here: http://www.lupine.de/web/en/products/flashlights/betty/tlset/ this link is for the betty, but all the others are there too. You can purchase, in the US, at www.gretnabikes.com.. This is the wilma tl, which I have, and the betty tl is below it. I will probably pick the betty TL up next week, once the dealer confirms they have them in stock :)
WTL1.jpg

Betty-TL-Handweb.jpg

Tonkem

JudasD

Enlightened
TK70: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1Wun9ct7RE
TM11: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K21RyStbwGQ

I don't know of any wall shots of the TK70.
The best I can do to help you here is for you to look at Marshall's Flashlight Comparisons 2.1 on youtube.
You will notice that the larger and deeper reflectored TK70 has more throw, and a narrower spill.
While the smaller and shallower Tiny Munster has less throw, but a much wider area of illumination.
Hope that helps...

Thank you for this tip. This is VERY helpful. So helpful in fact that i just ordered a TM11 :naughty:

Thanks again,
JD

peterharvey73

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am sure you'll be happy with the Tiny Munster.
It is so compact and easy to carry with an ergonomic side switch, gives a very practical broad beam, and throws reasonably far @ 286 meters.
Let us know the serial number on the inside of your TM's head...

JudasD

Enlightened
Serial number is VL11-1110. still waiting for batteries to charge. hurry, hurry, hurry!!!! LOL

JD

LIGAF

Newly Enlightened
Perhaps I can throw out a new name to the mix.. Lupine Betty TL, to be released next week at Gretnabikes.com. I know the price is high at over $800, but your choice of beam angles starting at 15 deg, then 22 deg, and lastly 26 deg, all over 2000 lumens on high. The 26 deg beam is 2600 lumens, measured lumens, not at the emitter(...)" "(...)They are a bit expensive, but you get what you pay for sometimes, and you can mount them on your bike and take them for a ride at night. Talk about versatility. :)(...)"
Tonkem

impressive little lights...probably the strongest lights for its size in production...thanks for the heads up, never heard of this company until your post/link...regrettably, they are quite pricey...for now, i'll get the tk70 to quench my thirst for hi-po light but it's good to know there are such small/light alternatives for future knowledge....i "need" a polarion [abyss double s] more than anything in the 'wish list' department but now the betty tl has taken the second spot on that list hehe...it seems to actually be the only truly practical/carry light cannon in size/weight, as opposed to every other light with that kind of throw, on the market currently...and the 3 different throw/flood configurations available to choose from only add to its appeal...