PD30 vs SC80 vs ?

RiverRatMatt

Newly Enlightened
I'm looking to get a new light for a few reasons. My 4sevens Quark 123^2 hasn't been 100% reliable from the get-go (hopefully I have it 100% now, time will tell), and there are a couple things I don't like about it. I've decided I do like having all modes available without sitting down and doing some magic to get into a mode changing mode (which doesn't always work with my Quark, I have to try about 10 times to get it into change mode), but I think I have to live with two immediately selectable modes. I like the way my L2D works, but I'd like to be able to set the main secondary mode to something rather than cycling up through modes, but those are just my personal gripes so far.

So what I'm wondering is this:

How does the XP-G emitter stack up to the XM-L emitter?
Is the PD30's operation different from the L2D?
Where are Fenix lights made? Zebralights?
Any others to consider?

Thanks guys!

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
dont get the PD30, thats the older model.
theres a PD31 and PD32 now.

fenix and zebralights are made in china.

i like both companies, but zebralights have appealed to me more.

you might want to check out the nitecore IFE2, its not perfect, so you should read the reviews on it first.
also check out some of zebralights other models, such as the SC600, or SC60. those only take 18650 though.
sunwayman has some interesting models too, i like them for their control ring brightness control.
spark also has an interesting model similar to the zebralights, but i cant remember its model name.

RiverRatMatt

Newly Enlightened
Didn't know that about the PD30, thank you for the heads up. Fenix and Zebralights being made in China is a pretty big turnoff for me.... how about the Nitecore? Do any manufacturers make their lights in the US?

I'd like to stick to CR123As, sorry I forgot to mention that in my first post :x

ExtremeX

Newly Enlightened
There is still a reason to get the PD30, its still physically smaller than the PD31 and PD32, but you cant run an 18650 since its bigger in diameter. I have a PD31, excellent light, and one of my most used lights.

The SC600 Zebra is on my short list, I find the interface really nice for how I would like to use my lights.

Plenty of good brands and lights out there, get familiar with what type of interface / UI you want to work with and go from there. Check out the vids for the Zebra and Klarus XT series of lights with the dedicated mode switch.

Last edited:

ExtremeX

Newly Enlightened
Didn't know that about the PD30, thank you for the heads up. Fenix and Zebralights being made in China is a pretty big turnoff for me.... how about the Nitecore? Do any manufacturers make their lights in the US?

I'd like to stick to CR123As, sorry I forgot to mention that in my first post :x
If you don't like lights just because they come from china, you are really doing yourself an injustice...

Some of the best brands out there are Chinese lights. Fenix for example is one damn good light, every bit as good and some people prefer Fenix to 4Sevens.

Olight, Jetbeam, Klarus, Fenix, 4Sevens... some of my favorite brands are all chinese, and excellent lights.

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast

ive owned plenty of brands that are made in china and USA. right now half my lights are from china the other half are made in USA.
build quality leans towards USA made.

check out Surefire, Malkoff, HDS, and Peak LED. all are great quality, along with a great warranty.
im not going to list 100 lights so youll have to do your own research on what your looking for.

Leoht

Flashaholic from Mars
I have been carrying A PD30 R4 for 18 months and it has never let me down. It also has a great UI. I also like the UI of my SC600 but the PD30 gets the most pocket time. The bigest advantage i can see for the SC80 would be the 0.12 Lm low.

Last edited:

RiverRatMatt

Newly Enlightened
I do own a Fenix and 4sevens light, I'd just like to see what USA offerings are out there.

I don't understand the USA lights. Surefire, Peak LED, and Malkoff all look like they were made in the 80's. Surefire is extremely vague about which emitters they use and what the technical specs of their light outputs amount to. Peak LED's information makes little to no sense, and their lights especially look... old. Again, no information on emitters or specs that I can comprehend.

What gives? Can anybody give me any recommendations? I want performance about Quark 123^2 XM-L level (though I guess XP-G is just as good ? ) with CR123A batteries.

ExtremeX

Newly Enlightened
I don't want to say Surefire wasn't made for the flashoholics because they still are. But I'm sure most of their target market... doesn't really care or may not even understand all these specs. Most people I know that buy Surefire is LE / Military. They just want a good beefy light with a good warranty. Its a good light, but they arnt really on the forefront of new technology and design. Plenty of Surefire lights on this forum, but for MY money, the china lights seem to win me over almost every time.

The reputable Chinese brands are still miles ahead of all the other CHEAP stuff, you can find on store shelves and even the ultrafire / trustfire stuff.

You might want to check out HDS brand lights, they seem to have a very strong following, American Made, but also very durable.

RiverRatMatt

Newly Enlightened
Fair enough, that makes sense to me.

I'm really digging those HDS lights now that I give them a second look... that three mode (4 on some, the strobe being a big feature to me actually) setup is exactly what I've been looking for.

Now I have to decide how many lumens I want... I'm really tempted by that High CRI light but 100 lumens seems a little low? I'll have to look at some beamshots to decide if there's much of a color difference.

Cheers!

Last edited: