surefire 6p + nb xml drop-in, shake to switch modes

jak3All3n

Newly Enlightened
hi, i have a 'surefire 6p' light, it's actually made up of a z41 tailcap + mcclick + oveready tl65 cell tube + oveready p60 adapter + nailbender xm-l 3-mode drop-in + z44 bezel.

last night, i noticed that i am able to make the light switch modes by shaking it real hard.

anyway, this isn't meant to be a complaint, just an fyi to those who care to know.

badtziscool

Flashlight Enthusiast
Most likely what's happening is that when you shake it hard, the drop-in loses contact of either the body or the battery momentarily and that momentary loss of contact mimicks the action of the switch when you change modes. If you want to alleviate that, you'll have to find out where it's losing contact and address it.

RepProdigious

Enlightened
Yeah happened to a ligt i love to use as well, mine was losing contact at the drop-in board (pos side of the cell). Was an easy enough fix tho, i just soldered a little spring to the board so the cell now sits squeezed between 2 springs instead of one and a plate. Works brilliantly and also protects the cell from nasty hits when you drop the light.

psychbeat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yah my L2Ps (especially the older one) do this on unprotected cells.
I just added a sheet of paper rolled around the cell and stretched both springs a bit. Another spring or magnet etc would work too.

jak3All3n

Newly Enlightened
Most likely what's happening is that when you shake it hard, the drop-in loses contact of either the body or the battery momentarily and that momentary loss of contact mimicks the action of the switch when you change modes. If you want to alleviate that, you'll have to find out where it's losing contact and address it.

yes, i figured as much but i didn't expect it considering there's a spring on both ends of the battery as well as an outer spring on the drop-in for negative contact.

jak3All3n

Newly Enlightened
Yah my L2Ps (especially the older one) do this on unprotected cells.
I just added a sheet of paper rolled around the cell and stretched both springs a bit. Another spring or magnet etc would work too.

hmm, makes me think the actual body is longer than it needs to be..