need a new light for my police duty belt

boxerdog23

Newly Enlightened
My first jetbeam m broke and my second was lost. It was a great light in terms of its size...but I had some issues with it running well...time for a new one....must fit on my duty belt...needs to be bright I make on average 80 plus traffic stops a month....I will be getting a larger light latter...thinking about olight m21

DWood

Newly Enlightened
As a firefighter, my lighting needs are different than a police officers. That said, I do a lot of firearms training and I am familiar with the need for weapon lights. First question, do you carry and/or are you allowed a pistol mounted light? If so, Surefire X-300, hands down, is your best option for power and reliability on a handgun.

If so (allowed pistol mounted light), the light on my belt would be a thrower with a medium rating of 250+ lumens, like the Olight SR 51 I just got. 240 on low and 900 on high, with rechargeble AW 18650s 2900 mah rock. 240 is your working light with 900 available for wide area searches. Anyway, that's my input.

k9hutch

Newly Enlightened
Thrunite TN11...one or two x 18650 batteries, bright, bright , bright, and a quick turn of the head gets you a strobe. My second belt light is an Olight i6 Paladin with a Surefire grip ring. Weapon light is a Surefire X300 with a DG-12 pressure switch. Lastly, the pocket/backup light is a Jetbeam BA20. Inexpensive and bright.

I went through the spectrum of lights (Malkoffs, Surefire, etc...) before settling down with this group. I have throw/brightness and the strobe feature for the occasional wreck. My guys have gone out and purchased a bunch of the BA20s after seeing how bright it is and it is relatively inexpensive.

madecov

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just went with the Klarus XT-10 with AW 18650's. It fits in my Gladius holster. The interface is almost perfect as an LEO light since it is operated one handed. I hate twisty heads as a duty light. I also carry a 4sevens tactical quark as back up. My second choice would be a Fenix TK-21 since it is virtually a one handed flashlight.

k9hutch

Newly Enlightened
Madecov...the Klarus is next on my list...I also hate twist heads, so the Klarus is next...still like it?

signal 13

Enlightened
Surefire X-300, hands down, is your best option for power and reliability on a handgun.
:thumbsup:

I've gotta say that my Malkoff M91 is my favorite traffic stop light. Lights up the entire interior of a vehicle and blinds everyone inside without even shining it directly into anyone's eyes. I have it in a C3 with a Z48 tailcap which gives it enough length to tuck under my arm if I need to go hands-free to do some writing or something. It's a CR123-hungry little sucker, so I'm having my C3 bored to accept some IMR 18500s. Right now I'm carrying it in my pocket with the pocket clip until I have a holster made for it (since I sold my blade-tech C-series sized holsters like an idiot!)

My backup light is a Surefire LX2 carried on my belt in a blade-tech bezel-down holster and I have my Surefire M3LT within reach or tucked in my back pocket on calls.

tacticalj

Newly Enlightened
I'm running a nitecore sr3, but waiting on a sunwayman t20c. I looked at the klarus xt10 and the quark 123 turbo and the eagletac p20c2 mk2 at the same time, but went with the sunwayman instead. I also looked at olight m20 warrior and i6 paladin. All were high prospects for a patrol light. I'm also running a ultra stinger with a terralux (i think) conversion bulb. Very good throw and good runtime. Puts good light out to 100+yds. alittle bright for indoor use, but effective for traffic stops and disorienting people.

Quiksilver

Enlightened

I've gotta say that my Malkoff M91 is my favorite traffic stop light. Lights up the entire interior of a vehicle and blinds everyone inside without even shining it directly into anyone's eyes. I have it in a C3 with a Z48 tailcap which gives it enough length to tuck under my arm if I need to go hands-free to do some writing or something. It's a CR123-hungry little sucker, so I'm having my C3 bored to accept some IMR 18500s. Right now I'm carrying it in my pocket with the pocket clip until I have a holster made for it (since I sold my blade-tech C-series sized holsters like an idiot!)

My backup light is a Surefire LX2 carried on my belt in a blade-tech bezel-down holster and I have my Surefire M3LT within reach or tucked in my back pocket on calls.

Why are you trying to blind people who aren't aggressors?

To OP:

SureFire 6P + Malkoff M61 + McClicky tailswitch. Can find all 3 at oveready.com.

madecov

Flashlight Enthusiast
I find the Klarus to be nearly perfect. I do wish it had memory so I could set it for a mid level and have it stay there, but that is a minor issue. Overall it is as close to perfect as I have found for me. YMMV

signal 13

Enlightened
Why are you trying to blind people who aren't aggressors?

If I was REALLY trying I'd shine it directly in their face, but tactical advantage is why. People have tried and will try their best to hurt and/or kill me and my brethren. Therefore, it is good to have the upper hand. Ya know? Nothing like a wall of light to discourage any shenanigans. I've prevented many physical confrontations with that M91. People never look directly into the beam, they look away, which is where I want them looking. Makes me a harder target.

Oh, and I treat EVERYONE as an aggressor. I'm courteous and respectful at all times, but I'm always ready in case someone tries to engage me.

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
If I was REALLY trying I'd shine it directly in their face, but tactical advantage is why. People have tried and will try their best to hurt and/or kill me and my brethren. Therefore, it is good to have the upper hand. Ya know? Nothing like a wall of light to discourage any shenanigans. I've prevented many physical confrontations with that M91. People never look directly into the beam, they look away, which is where I want them looking. Makes me a harder target.

Oh, and I treat EVERYONE as an aggressor. I'm courteous and respectful at all times, but I'm always ready in case someone tries to engage me.

Agreed signal 13...my dad was an SP for 23 years, and a beat cop/sherriffs deputy several years after that...other than the physcological advantage, the bright light primarily prevents the perp/s from seeing/knowing what you're doing...whether the perps have ill intentions or not. If they didn't blast you with light when they stopped you, a perp would/may take advantage of what the cop's doing. For an extreme example, what if the cop dropped his piece? With a bright light on them, they can't see what the cops doing...or when he may be at his weakest...

RI Chevy

Flashlight Enthusiast
We must all use any of our tools to our advantage, to help and maintain order, and go home at the end of our shift. There is no substitute for a good bright light!

DWood

Newly Enlightened

I said the X300 was the best PISTOL MOUNTED LIGHT that I know of, not the best light.

BIGLOU

Enlightened
I also concur... I got the X400 on my 1911
DSC05246.jpg

I recommed a G2Z or Z2.
DSC03161.jpg

I also have the older SF Milliennium weaponlight in all Nitrolon. I love it as P60 drop-ins fit in it.
DSC03016.jpg

Last edited: