Why is there no lens on a Fenix E01?

esrevenge

Newly Enlightened
Its just the LED bulb...would it have a higher chance of the bulb getting damaged since there is no lens on it, or what is the reason for this?

Also is there water resistance without the lens?

Id really like to order one, but just wondering.

Many thanks...

davecroft

Enlightened
I just got an E01 today to go on my keychain. Nice cheap, simple little light.

The reasons for no lens?

1, Price. It keeps the price down by not having an expensive LED, reflector and lens setup.

2, Durability. As far as I'm aware, the dome of the LED in this light is made from a type of resin which is probably more resistant to knocks than a thin glass lens would be.

Yes it is waterproof - just dunked mine in the sink to check!

E01.jpg

Last edited:

twl

Flashlight Enthusiast
And not only that, but if there was a lens on it, then it would be harder to scuff up the LED with the steel wool, and make the beam more acceptable.

Blue72

Flashlight Enthusiast
No need for a lens, 5mm Leds have a dome lens incorporated into them

As far as water resistance, its a matter of luck and how much water resistance you are looking for. Some hold out water well, some dont. The above pic and links are not a real indicator, since there is very little water pressure in a sink or a bottle.

The first thing I would do is replace the o-ring. The one from the factory is poorly made and deteriorates easily. They can be picked up dirt cheap at your local hardware or plumbing store. The other problem is the inconsistency of epoxy potting in the e01. Some are filled well and others have very little.

Last edited:

twl

Flashlight Enthusiast
got a picture of the acceptable beam or of the scuffed up LED?

It should be easily found with a search of the archives.
There have been several posts and even threads on this subject, with pictures.
The beam still isn't that great, even with the steel wool treatment, but it becomes more diffused so you don't see all the purple and yellow blobs as easily afterwards.
The E05 is a hundred times better IMO, for five bucks more.

Kestrel

Flashaholic
Its just the LED bulb...would it have a higher chance of the bulb getting damaged since there is no lens on it, or what is the reason for this?
I would suggest using the 'CPF only' Google search for the following terms: 'Fenix E01 damaged'.

The search returns are here.

Reviewing the threads in the search results, it can be ascertained that there are essentially no reports of broken E01's on CPF, aside from damage due to alkaline battery leakage or scuffed anodizing. :ironic:

Some interesting threads are here:
My Quick Fenix E01 Torture Test
Arc AAA and Fenix E01 5 Story Drop Test

There is a lot of good info in the CPF archives that can be found via the search function, as twl stated above.

Best regards,

calipsoii

Flashlight Enthusiast
The running joke is that after a nuclear war the only thing will be cockroaches and E01's. Yours will be fine, don't worry. ;)

esrevenge

Newly Enlightened
I would suggest using the 'CPF only' Google search for the following terms: 'Fenix E01 damaged'.

The search returns are here.

Reviewing the threads in the search results, it can be ascertained that there are essentially no reports of broken E01's on CPF, aside from damage due to alkaline battery leakage or scuffed anodizing. :ironic:

Some interesting threads are here:
My Quick Fenix E01 Torture Test
Arc AAA and Fenix E01 5 Story Drop Test

There is a lot of good info in the CPF archives that can be found via the search function, as twl stated above.

Best regards,

Hi - Thanks for the links and helping me in this and my other thread...

Best regards!

Harry999

Enlightened
I love the flood beam on the EO5 but prefer the longer runtime of the EO1. I have managed to get my EO1s to get quite a flooded beam with repeated steel wool treatment. The EO1 beam is now more than acceptable. I intend to order five more next month as 'spares'. I think I might also get a blue and purple E05. I already have the black E05. I keep the E05 attached to my man bag. That flood beam is useful for finding dropped things!

It should be easily found with a search of the archives.
There have been several posts and even threads on this subject, with pictures.
The beam still isn't that great, even with the steel wool treatment, but it becomes more diffused so you don't see all the purple and yellow blobs as easily afterwards.
The E05 is a hundred times better IMO, for five bucks more.