Novatac Classic- Brightest suitable LED??

SunnyQueensland

Enlightened
I want to get more use out of my Novatac Classic and would do so if the emitter was more 'up-to-date'

Any suggestions what would be the brightest option, tint is not important. And where would I get the emitter from please?

Is it even possible?

Thanks in advance.

SQ

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
Go check the Cutter website and see what they've got to offer. They're where most of us get emitters from and they just happen to be local to you!

I'm not a modder, but I do know that there have been a lot of XP-G's put into these and I'm pretty sure that XM-L's have been used as well.

moderator007

Enlightened
From what info I can get online the classic should put out 400ma or so to the led (120 lumens). The xr-e from what I have read should have about the same beam pattern as the p4. But with the best bin of xr-e being r2 that would only give you around 136 lumens (jtr1962 test here)at 400ma.
A xpg r2 at 400ma should give you around 163 lumens(jtr1962 test here). The xp-g r2 will change the beam profile giving you a larger hot spot and possible more spill. But more light over all.
A xm-l u2 at 400ma should give some where around 172 or above lumens (Caculated guess). The xm-l will also change the beam profile with a much larger hot spot than the xr-e or the xp-g and possible more spill. But more over all light.
The xm-l with a lower vf may give you more current than i caculated given the same driver. The driver could possible give a little more current with the xm-l.
My choice would probably be the xp-g r2. But it's your choice! :)

Update : Almost forgot, shiningbeam is a good place to look for leds. If you have the time to wait for a china shipment then lck-led.com has some good prices. Also illumination supply, led supply, and cutter.

Last edited:

Latest posts