Zebralight question - pocket carry - Help please

Coop57

Enlightened
Recently recieved my 1st Zebralight H31W. Really like everything about this light. EDC in FLP along with a tube of Chapstick and cell phone. My question is will it accidently turn on? I have been backing off on the the tail cap threads to prevent accidental turn on. I almost always where jeans. No not tight skinny jeans but loose workingman jeans.
Thanks for your help.

Vesper

Enlightened
When I clip my Zebralight to my jeans pocket or similar I'm in the habit of locking out with a quick unscrew of the tailcap. Its nice switch is easy to use but easy to activate and I've also had it come on accidentally and surprise me with the hot pocket syndrome. Simple little twist is good peace of mind.

GeoBruin

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've never ran into problems with hot pockets using an "h" series light. The SC51w I had would sometimes turn on in my pockets, but that kind of makes sense with the side switch.

You're in a different position than most people who ask this question. Most folks ask this before they buy. You already have the light, so you can just test it. Wear it around without locking it out for a while and see if it turns on in your pocket. If so, try locking it out and see if it's worth it to you.

whiteoakjoe

Enlightened
I kept mine (H51Fc) in my front pocket for about 5 or 6 weeks and it did turn on once in that time. I felt the heat because it came on in high, I now have it in a waist pack for work that gets just as much contact and banging around, but have the tail cap unscrewed. I went back to my Quark tactical AA with deep pocket clip for EDC. and like it better, but the reason l like it better is the simple UI with 2 levels and the better pocket clip.

notsofast

Enlightened
I have had the SC50+ come one so I tried the H51 and it came on. I glued an o-ring on the switch and haven't had it come on yet. (1 month)

Harry999

Enlightened
The O-ring solution works well. I adapted it slightly & used a metal keyring/split ring. It fits in better with the all metal light. I have not had a single activation since despite having pretty cluttered pockets.

Sent from my smart phone using Tapatalk

Tsportmat

Newly Enlightened
I've never had my SC51w switch on, but then I don't carry it that often. A good way of carrying them if to just clip them to a belt loop, they're so small you don't even notice them - then it doesn't fill your pockets or impede sitting down like a back pocket would.

tony613

Newly Enlightened
Preferred method of carry is a very personal thing. If it is something of value to me then my preference wouldn't be to put it outside a pocket on a belt unless I also had a backup lanyard attached to a belt loop or something similar. For me, it's just too easy for it to get knocked off and damaged when it hit the ground, or worse, lost. I don't have this light but my LiteFlux LF2XT always rides inside my pocket even though it has a (very thin) clip with a very short lanyard attached (for attaching to my bicycle helmet). It's so small I frequently check to make sure it's still there.

I second what GeoBruin said, "... just test it", in your pocket. If it comes on for you and you don't want to unscrew the tail cap then try your preference between a rubber o-ring (soft "touch" when using switch) or a metal ring - split ring - thin washer (better visual match but maybe rougher "touch" around the switch).

Let us know what you come up with.

Coop57

Enlightened
I've never had my SC51w switch on, but then I don't carry it that often. A good way of carrying them if to just clip them to a belt loop, they're so small you don't even notice them - then it doesn't fill your pockets or impede sitting down like a back pocket would.
I should have explained that I must carry inside pocket. I work as a landscape contractor an anything I where on the the outside stands a good chance of getting lost.

LGT

Enlightened
I would suggest backing off the tail cap to avoid it turning on in your pocket. While carrying the same light in my pocket, it has turned on a couple of times. "hey flashlight guy, your pockets' on fire" Is a little embarrissing.

davidt1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I should have explained that I must carry inside pocket. I work as a landscape contractor an anything I where on the the outside stands a good chance of getting lost.

Put an 0-ring over the switch, but not in direct contact with it. This mod takes 1 minute to do and you will never have to worry about accidental activation or locking and unlocking the tail cap ever again.
IMG_7086.jpg

LGT

Enlightened
Put an 0-ring over the switch, but not in direct contact with it. This mod takes 1 minute to do and you will never have to worry about accidental activation or locking and unlocking the tail cap ever again.
IMG_7086.jpg
Seems like a good idea. Does this O-ring come with the light as a replacement for worn out rings, or is it someting you bought elsewhere?

Gordo

Newly Enlightened
I followed davidt1's suggestion about the o-ring.
These are not the ones that come with the light.
I purchased them at Lowe's in the plumbing section.
Very simple, very effective.

Zero problems since.

LGT

Enlightened
I followed davidt1's suggestion about the o-ring.
These are not the ones that come with the light.
I purchased them at Lowe's in the plumbing section.
Very simple, very effective.

Zero problems since.
Thanks, I'll be wandering around in Lowe's soon seeking these out. One other question. Are they attached with glue, or just placed on?

scott

Enlightened
FWIW- the o-ring is a #111. I think I paid .29 at my local hardware store. The Lowes nearest me did not have it. I used GOOP to glue it to the light. The o-ring mod solves the problem.