Li-Ion Incandescent: make a mod or get a Pila?

Alan_L

Newly Enlightened
Since Ginseng has started his Welch/Allyn group buy I got the idea of making my own Li-Ion rechargable out of a Mag 2C. If I use Otakayama's Perfect Mag Reflector, some W/A 01274 potted lamps, and a pair of Pila 150A batteries, I should be able to make a pretty nice light. The problem is, after I totalled the cost of the reflector, lamps, Pila batteries and charger I could just get a Pila G3 for about the same amount and be done with it.

I don't know if anyone out there owns a Pila light and has used the W/A 01274 lamps, but would the quality of light be that much better out of the W/A bulbs? Or how does the quality of a Pila flashlight construction compare to the Mags? I guess I'm asking if it would be worth it for me to make my own mod and no one can really answer that except for myself since only I know how much the time and effort is worth to me. But I just thought I would throw this idea out and see if anyone has opinions since there are much more experienced modders out there than me on this forum.

Edit:
I just saw Jumi's post on his 20W Li-Ion Mag. Sorry if some of the same topics are covered in there too. But Ginseng has it right - the cost of $30 per Li-Ion cell is one thing that keeps me from jumping right in and buying everything I need.

paulr

Flashaholic
There are cheaper ways to get li ion cells, for example from extended cellular phone batteries.