How does Olight S65 compare to Jetbeam PA40?

carl k

Newly Enlightened
I asked this in another thread but was afraid it would get buried before someone could answer my question. I bought a Jetbeam PA40 for my GF. Its a very nice light. I now discovered the Olight S65. Looking at Going Gear's videos of these two lights it seems the PA40 might be floodier, while the S65 throws further. What I am interested in a is a floody thrower if that makes sense. Don't really like the tunnel vision effect of pure thrower lights. Could someone tell me if the S65 is actually as floody as the PA40 in actual use, versus trying to see it in a video? Thanks for the responses.

Chidwack

Enlightened
I would have to ask what percent of throw or flood you want. I don't have either of these lights although my brother has a Jetbeam PA40 coming in the mail. I may end up buying one if I like his. The only thing I have that compares to these two lights is a Fenix TK41. On turbo mode it has plenty of spill and it's still my second best throw light slightly behind my Olight M3X and way ahead of my Jetbeam BC40. This light has really impressed me.

I kinda like the idea of the Jetbeam PA40 having a carbon fiber body. It won't feel as cold in the hand on cold nights.

regulator

Flashlight Enthusiast
Both great light but I think the Olight has a couple of advantages over the PA40:

Nearly the same size but with 50% more battery capacity with 6AA's vs 4AA's due to its unique battery configuration/holder.
It has a side switch.
It has higher output.
It has more throw.

I like both though.

Animalmother

Newly Enlightened
Helped me make my descion, got an Olight.

Last edited:

roadkill1109

Flashlight Enthusiast
You'll probably have to decide whether you want a flooder or a thrower, Can't have the best of both worlds unless you go Coast/Led Lenser with the focusable heads, but there are tradeoffs, Anyhow, If you want a light to complement your GF's PA40, might as well get a thrower. No sense having both flooders and no range.