Best 3 x- XML light out there

hivoltage

Enlightened
Like it says, would like to hear what is the best 3-xml light out there. About to pull the trigger in the Nitecore TM11 Tiny Monster!!!! Anything better out there ?

twl

Flashlight Enthusiast
From what I've been reading on CPF, it seems that the TK70 has the least number of failures.
You might want to read the TM11 malfunction thread before buying.

Actually, the consensus seems to be that the Dry 3 XML is the most reliable out of the box, and the cheapest too, but it has no thermal regulation, so you have to pay attention to the heat build-up, and switch to lower modes when needed.

Personally, I'm waiting until the manufacturers get all these bugs sorted out before I dip my toe into that 3 XML water.

fnsooner

Enlightened
The Dry triple XM-L is worth a look. I've got two of them, a cool white and a warm white. They are pretty nice.

peterharvey73

Flashlight Enthusiast
If u want an oversized 4xD's or 6x18650's triple XM-L that doubles as a baton/weapon, try a TK70 or SR92 respectively; the TK70 has deeper reflectors for flood-throw, while the SR92 has shallower reflectors for more pure flood.

For a large 3x18650 deep reflectors flood-thrower, try a Jetbeam RRT-3 Triple XM-L; it's more or less designed to be held overhand, or two-handed operation, so it's UI is a bit of a pain.
A pure thrower like the old RRT-3 SST-50 should be held high above the shoulders for maximum throw, thus using the overhand grip operating the tail end switch, but it is a pain that a flood-throw like the Triple XM-L model has no side switch.

For a compact large 135mm long x 60 mm bezel 4x18650 shallow reflectors pure flooder, try TM11.
The first batch had a few issues, but the subsequent batches have apparently fixed the issues now.
I will let everyone know when my TM11 arrives late next Thursday/Friday.

The Dry Triple XM-L is very good value for money, according to the Law of Diminishing Returns.
The styling matches the price.
It seems to have no ergonomic side switch, for the underhand hand shake grip, more commonly used for flooding purposes???
For max throw, we hold the flashlight high, but for flood, we often hold relaxingly low below the waist line.

I got the TM11 big flooder, because I already have a big thrower.
So it's all throw, all flood, or a bit both ways in between; pity there is no all-in-one flashlight.
I have tried zoomable MagLites and LedLensers, however they both seem to throw better than they flood; when they flood, their spill is very wide, but somehow extremely dim with no hot spot at all - if I remember correctly...

Last edited:

hivoltage

Enlightened
So the Tm11 has no ir is weak on throw? Lets compare it to my Fenix TK35 which still impresses me for it's size. Does the Nitecore out throw it by a lot?

peterharvey73

Flashlight Enthusiast
Please see Selfbuilt's data below.
The TM11 throws about the same as the TK35 @ 286 meters versus 283 meters.
TM11 a bit bigger and heavier than TK35.
However TM will flood 2000 lumens versus TK35's modest 830 lumens.
TM also has ergonomic side switch for lazy underhand hand shake grip, and TM has nice upmarket styling, but costs so too...

TM11-FL1-Summary1.gif

Last edited:

brandocommando

Enlightened
I just ordered one of these in a 4500K neutral white, great deal on these going on right now...
twocents.gif

Only one mode though, not sure if that works for you.
BigBruiser-Final-7.JPG
BigBruiser-Final-1.JPG

Last edited:

brandocommando

Enlightened
I will not get the light for a couple weeks, but from what I've read it is mostly flood. I would think the optics should help with throw a little bit though.
It would be cool if someone could do a 3X XM-L shootout! I would happily let someone borrow mine
(once I get it) if they had some of the other triples to compare it to. I would be particularly interested in getting the output tested on my BB. It should be in the 2500 lumen range!
I was looking at the TM myself, but I have always wanted an Electrolumens creation. Also, I live in Oregon, (same state where they are made) so I am supporting the local economy!:thumbsup:

monkeyboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like the single mode Der Wichtel mag dropin. But you do have to find a suitable host and fit it yourself. I like the fact that there's no electronic overlord to throttle down the output when it gets too hot.

ExtremeX

Newly Enlightened
I think the Jetbeam RRT-3 is my fav 3 x XML.

I also think it has a much nicer beam patten than the TM11 and a more useful interface.

hivoltage

Enlightened
Well, I think I am torn between Jetbeam and Nitecore...if anybody has seen both then feel free to chime in. I would like to get an order in today. Again, looking for a nice floody throw and something to outdo my prized TK35. Also...anybody have any CPF discounts?

ExtremeX

Newly Enlightened
Well, I think I am torn between Jetbeam and Nitecore...if anybody has seen both then feel free to chime in. I would like to get an order in today. Again, looking for a nice floody throw and something to outdo my prized TK35. Also...anybody have any CPF discounts?

Ive seen both, and the RRT-3 has a lot more throw than the TM11. RRT-3 still provides massive amounts of flood. The beam is just more usable overall, more balanced than the TM11 for sure.

I like the TM11, but with the problems others have been having, makes me not want it. Its biggest perk is size, but it also has some downsides. The low isn't low enough, Jetbeam gets me to 5 lumens so I can still use it in the house, car, tent, whatever....

They are both nice, but I think the RRT-3 edges out as a light that cant fill more applications.

hivoltage

Enlightened
Leaning towards the Jetbeam, a couple more inputs would be nice!!!! And thanks for all the help deciding everybody.

HIDblue

Enlightened
hivoltage, you may want to wait a few days for the black Friday sales to pop up from most of the CPFMP dealers...you could save a good chunk of change considering the price of both the JB and the Nitecore. IIRC, they were pretty darn good last year...

hivoltage

Enlightened
Good Point!!! Where would I find the deals at on here? Probably the dealers section huh? I do get emails from a couple dealers

RCLumens

Enlightened
Hi There! I just got my RRT-3 a week or so ago and think it's a GREAT light. From a beam standpoint, it's really going to be tough to beat unless you get a much larger light. That being said, the triple RRT-3 is going to be heavier and larger than your trusted TK-35. My only complaints are that it's not the most comfortable light to grab and click the tail switch. My Olight SR51 is about the same size, but having the side switch is a good thing for this sized light. The dial settings is great for getting the brightness you want, but again, really calls for two handed operation. For me, I went with the RRT-3's beam, and mode selection capability, not to mention, taking heat better, outweighed the negatives. Now... I did hear on this site that Sunwayman was coming out with a V-60 Triple XML as was Zebralight...??? Oh well, one can always trade? If you have your mind set on the RRT-3, I think you;ll have NO regrets, especially with the beam, brightness runtime, dependability, and it's very easy to use ring selector. Cheers! RC

peterharvey73

Flashlight Enthusiast
RRT-3 is considerably bigger, heavier, older UI, flood-throw 346 meters throw, 5 lumen low, and has more weight to absorb the heat, so stays on turbo longer.
TM11 is compact, lightweight, newer easier to use side switch, pure flood 286 meters of throw, roughly 10 mins turbo, 25% more run time of 1:15' versus RRT-3's 1 hour.
Btw, if I'm not wrong, the TM11 not only has cheaper box packaging than the Jetbeam's magnetic flap box, but the annodising on the TM is pure matt finish, where the Jetbeam is semi-matt semi-polished finish; co-incidentally, the Zebralight SC600 compact 1x18650 side switch 750 lumens pure flooder and 145 meters short throw also comes in a cheap cardboard box, and a pure cheap looking matt finish, worse - no ss bezel.

Personally, I only got TM flooder, because I already have RRT-3 SST-50 pure thrower which throws some 400 meters, give or take; thus RRT-3 Triple XM-L not enuff advancement for me to buy, plus in between the other two.

Lightjunction gives 12% cpf discounts, while Bugoutgearusa gives 15% discounts, and both sell both Jetbeam and Nitecore...

Last edited: