best drop in for throw - ahorton modded wf501

jcf1

Newly Enlightened
Hi folks - I have a cheapy ultrafire wf501b running 18650s that I have fitted ahortons aspheric lens/spacer kit to. It is already a pretty awesome thrower, but I was hoping I might be able to squeeze a little bit more out of it. Currently it has a dealextreme xml drop in, and I want a bit more. Any ideas?

GeoBruin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Best XML thrower I have ever seen is the 3 mode XML from Manafont. It is severely over driven on high, so the surface brightness is about as good as it gets for an XML. On top of that, the reflector seems to be made to eek as much throw as possible from an XML.

If you really want pure throw however, at the cost of some output, Nailbender's XR-E R2 will do wonders with Ahorton's kit.

jcf1

Newly Enlightened
Nice one - I'll have a look at that. Its for a rifle lamp so multiple modes are no good for me at all - needs to be high or off.

GeoBruin

Flashlight Enthusiast
I believe Nailbender does a single mode XR-E. Also, if you want to see what the XR-E will look like before getting your nailbender, you can get a single mode XR-E Q4 (slightly cooler, slightly lower flux bin) from Solarforce for like $9.00.

ahorton

Enlightened
Agreeing with everything else so far, you can also do some fun things with the XP-C Q4s. Get a 1.2 mm wide strip of copper (less than 1mm thick). Solder the XP-C onto it. Solder wires onto the bottom of the two pads. Glue it down to a cheap $2 DX dropin pill. Flood some epoxy into the pill to hold the wires in place. Drive it around 1A with a 3 x AMC7135 board.

Total cost of all parts is under $10 (though it'll cost a bit more by the time you pay for shipping and spare parts). It'll take a few hours if you've never done one before but after that you'll do the second one much quicker.

The XM-L is probably giving you around 10,000-16,000 cp, a 1A XR-E R2 gives about 20,000 cp. The XP-C as I've described will get around 32,000 cp.