Suggestion on a new emitter for my skyline.

12ga

Newly Enlightened
I recently bought a skyline off the marketplace and the Cree was de-domed. I got it and I am not as happy with the beam as I thought I would be. I am now thinking about replacing it, just heating up the solider and replacing the emitter (it seems like something a novice like me could handle.) My question is what would work best with this application? I know the tail cap limits the battery comb/output, but anyone modified one already? I am a fan of cool white color and would like a nice bright thrower, any help would be great. Thanks in advance for any advice.

p.s. If you know where I could purchase your suggested emitter please let me know via pm.

twl

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you want to keep the long throw, then you'll want to keep the small emitter size of the XRE-R2 emitter that it came with, or maybe an XPE-R3.
If you want more flood, then you can move to an XPG.
I'm not thinking that an XML would be a good choice for that platform, unless it was lightly driven, in which case the XPG would likely be just as good anyway and give more throw.
XML would be quite floody in that application.

The XRE was famous for throw, and that's what that light had in it to begin with because it is supposed to be a thrower that fits in your pocket.
So, that's what I'd replace the LED with, if it were me doing it.

I don't have a handle on emitter vendors, so I won't try to answer that one.

12ga

Newly Enlightened
I was thinking about the x-ml myself, but If it is going to sacrifice throw I might go with the xpg. Sawlight I sent you a pm about your light and the xm-l. I also saw someone replaced one with an sst-50 but that seems like a big undertaking.

sawlight

Enlightened
PM replied to, it's still a throw monster, there isn't much else this light is going to be! I'll try and get you those beam shots!

12ga

Newly Enlightened
Just ordered my xm-l t6. I will post up some pics once it gets here, if I can get it all to go together.