MagLite drop in : 5*Cree R2 5-Mode 1200-Lumen White Light Drop-in LED Module

dmarti

Newly Enlightened
Hello first post, love the forums BTW.

I purchased a: 5*Cree R2 5-Mode 1200-Lumen White Light Drop-in LED Module (52.7mm*42mm/8.4V Max) (52.7mm*42mm/8.4V Max) from DealExtreme SKU 900135242
I bought it with hopes to drop it in one of my old D cell MagLites ( I have a 2, 3 & 4 cell unit) to breathe new life into my old flashlites.

I am looking for a tutorial, as I understand from searching on these forums, that there is some modification that is required for the MagLites to accommodate them.

Can some one point me in the right direction where to find it?

Thanks in advance, I can see the love of flashlights will be addicting, can't wait!

Sales Link Removed, replaced by SKU - Norm

Last edited by a moderator:

dmarti

Newly Enlightened
Thank you. Would anyone suggest a method to grind those rings down with? Dremel? If so which head?

LumenHound

Flashlight Enthusiast
A Dremel will work well. You will need to use a router style cylindrical cutter bit and a cut-off wheel to get that particular job done.

Remember, ALWAYS wear eye protection when using a rotary tool.

dmarti

Newly Enlightened
Thanks, as an alternative, what other flashlights will that drop-in fit into without modification? Can anyone point me to a link for the "M*g "C" head" that fivemega references above?

Thanks in advance!

LumenHound

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have a look at the Budget Lights section of the LED Flashlights area of CPF. There are some threads about various kinds of complete multi-emitter flashlights for less than $40 that may interest you.

dmarti

Newly Enlightened
Have a look at the Budget Lights section of the LED Flashlights area of CPF. There are some threads about various kinds of complete multi-emitter flashlights for less than $40 that may interest you.

Thanks LumenHound, I will do so. Do you know of any other flashlights will that this specific drop-in will fit into without modification? All my searches point to a need to modify the host to some extent.

Thanks!

moderator007

Enlightened
Your welcome dmarti, according to what I know this drop in was made for the WF-500. It just happens to work in a mag with a little modification.

durandkahn

Newly Enlightened
Does anyone know if this drop in will work with the 4 Cs or 5000mAh NiMH? I really like this drop in and would like to figure out the best batteries to use!

durandkahn

Newly Enlightened
Hi there Im new to CPF and Im very interested in the 5 cree R2 5-mode 1200-Lumen drop in module for my m@glite 3D! I was wondering if this module would be compatible with 4x 5000mah NiMH? And leaving the host completely stock besides flipping the tail-cap spring? Can anyone help me? Thoughts?

Gtamazing

Newly Enlightened
Last edited: