35W Mag HID Mod

ma_sha1

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are Mag HIDs in 10W, 14W etc. But I haven't seen a full power 35W HID Mag mod that still looks like a mag afterwards.

Here are some previous CPF references on similar projects:

Big Head method: Use a giant 4" head to house a slim ballast inside the head:
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?223571-35W-HID-Maglite-Mod-Finished!-Beam-Shots
Big Neck Method: Download mag HID drop-in:
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?241715-MagHID-Drop-in
Another one similar to download's method:
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?174036-45w-HID-M-G

I had a round ballast laying around for a while, its too big to go into the mag tube until I realized that if I "think outside the tube"...

1. Cut the 3D mag tube above the switch
29621040.jpg

2. Grind the edge of the Mag tube to go inside the metal skirt of the round ballast,
Solder ballast to switch & inset into the mag body.
57888270.jpg

3. Sleeved for 3x18650 with recessed tail spring
70424730.jpg

4. Before JB weld the ballast to mag tube perminantly, connect a HID bulb for a quick test.
83255859.jpg

5. let there be light!
12812975.jpg

Sorry folks, I have run out of time...

Last edited:

ma_sha1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sill need to modify & mount the bulb, but here is the finished look:

dscf1361wy.jpg

dscf1357r.jpg

ma_sha1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why 18650s instead of 26650s? just what was on hand?

Yes, just what's on hand. I am running low on 26650 cells & just got theses high capacity
panasonic 3100 mah 18650 that I am eager to try out.

ma_sha1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow, it's like that ballast was made for a maglite, what is it?

Its 35W round ballast for automotive applications, very compact & doesn't have the extra igniter that sticks out like most of the slim ballasts.

Al Combs

Enlightened
That's another very nice improv' job. Glad to see you back at it so soon.:)

Isn't that kind of dangerous running a bulb like that out in the open; UV or explosion? Be safe.

seven11

Newly Enlightened
This is an awesome mod! Great job getting a 35W HID in that small of a package. Looks great!

ma_sha1

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's another very nice improv' job. Glad to see you back at it so soon.:)
Isn't that kind of dangerous running a bulb like that out in the open; UV or explosion? Be safe.

Thanks!
Yes, there is some UV but not much w/o reflector focus & this is very short exposure for taking pictures & with eye glasses on, I've done this from time to time, It's like go out in the sun briefly vs. sun bathing. I am sure you've seen the thread where a dude shine a HID to his face & got a sun burn? It'll take 5-10 minutes, with a reflector focused beam at a closer distance to get a sun burn & thus become harmful exposure.

This is an awesome mod! Great job getting a 35W HID in that small of a package. Looks great!

Thanks

Last edited:

ma_sha1

Flashlight Enthusiast
35W HID usually draws 3.2 to 3.5A, 3x18650 3100mah cells should last about 50 min. Or so.

ma_sha1

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you cut the case off the ballast, would it fit inside a mag tube?

No. The case is only 1mm thin, if you cut the case, the diameter of the ballast w/o case is about the Mag tube OD not ID.
One would have to remove the black thermo tar & see if possible to shrink the diameter down further.
I suspect some components are squeezed right to the edge of the case.

ma_sha1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mounting the bulb is a pain, as there is not enough room, the bulb need to be pushed down to achieve focus, had to cut the stem of the HID bulb so that I can connect it in a way to make it very short. I JB welded a brass ring but had to remove it later on, as the brass leg is too close to the exposed wires & it was causing a spark.
dscf1369.jpg

Mark620

Enlightened
Mounting the bulb is a pain, as there is not enough room, the bulb need to be pushed down to achieve focus, had to cut the stem of the HID bulb so that I can connect it in a way to make it very short. I JB welded a brass ring but had to remove it later on, as the brass leg is too close to the exposed wires & it was causing a spark.

To solve this problem you could use Corona Wire coating.AKA.Corona Dope

Snip from AD said:
It protects surfaces against moisture, dries quickly, and insulates up to 325°F. Used on flybacks, coils, and transformers to improve the insulation and weather-resistant properties of wires. High dielectric strength of 3000 volts/mil.

Mark620

Enlightened
You would need >8 mil coating

24K/3K=8:naughty:

Dont forget the air gap too.