Survival AA-XENO Tiger E03 v2 Cree XM-L T6 difference to XENO Tiger E03 v3?

csaddict

Newly Enlightened
Hello, I was just wondering about the difference between V2 and V3 of the Xeno E03 XM-L T6 flashlight.
As well I was wondering about a good survival flashlight that can use both AA and 14500. I was looking into
the Zebra sc80 as well the Quark "X" AA2 but not too sure. The ideal qualities for my flashlight is

1)Waterproof/Rugged (good lens that doesn't scratch or break easily)
2)Accepts a variety of cells (Ex. AA and 14500)
3)Small, and good knurling
4)Good throw and/or flood (high lumen is ideal but realistically anything above 100 lumen is good enough)
5)Easy on the battery drain.

I understand these qualities is what everyone desires in a flashlight, and I know I will not get everything. However a good overall flashlight is my goal.

Thank you

I'll be more than happy to hear some suggestions for this novice flashaholic. :)

Deal4

Enlightened
Well, I can't respond about the XENO brand lights as I don't have any, but with your other question about a good all around flashlight I want to highly recommend the Zebralight SC51!
Most likely you have heard about it as it is a very well liked light around these parts!
I have a number of lights that I can and do use on a daily basis, but the SC51 is the one I use more than 2x any other light I own! It is not common to get 200 lumens from a single AA light without having to use a 14500! That said, you can still use 14500 with the SC51 as well.
The only thing it doesn't do extremely well is throw. It is not a throwy light, but over 90% of normal situations do not require a far throwing light.
There are many other good lights out there, so if you do your research I'm sure you will get one you will like!
Good luck hunting!
Shad

AutoTech

Enlightened
Forget the e03 if you want a thrower, it's probably the floodiest AA light I've got. It's a nice little light but I wouldn't recommend it if you want throw.

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
for a survival flashlight i would not go with the Xeno E03. and i do have a couple of them. i have not experienced any problems with either of mine. both mine are used around the house.
reason i wouldnt go with the xeno is because of the switch. its not the greatest. Xeno even packages an extra switch with the light.

for a survival AA light, i would go with something simple. like a single mode twisty, from a quality manufacturer. im thinking PeakLED
also, it not be a battery drainer too, to minimize heat issues, and battery safety.

kreisler

Banned
That said, you can still use 14500 with the SC51 as well.
How come? Does the PROTECTED TrustFire 14500 fit, are you sure?

The website says:
Operating Voltage Range: 0.7V - 2.5V
Battery: One 1.5V AA (NiMH, lithium or alkaline). 14500 Li-ion batteries are not supported. Batteries are not included in the package.

Deal4

Enlightened

csaddict

Newly Enlightened
Well alright guys thank you for your input, it has helped a lot. I will now stay away from the Xeno, as I am after all looking for a rugged light and not something that needs to replace parts once a while.

I am currently looking at the 4 sevens Quark AA R5 edition (man I wish the make an XM-L single AA version), as a survival pack light.
Also the Torch light C78 is something I would get for around the house, or heck it can be my back up survival light. the link to the specs if you guys wanna see --> http://www.dealextreme.com/p/torch-...ree-q3-wc-130-lumen-led-flashlight-1-aa-29095

But if all fails, then I'm just gonna get a big stick wrap the end with a big bundle of cloth soaked in Vaseline and light it on fire. I'm going Caveman style, lets see those 400 lumen lights beat that! :D

jondotcom

Enlightened
You might check out some small backup lights like the ITP A1, A2, A3 or Olight I1, I2, I3. Good little lights that can sit on your pocket, drawer, whatever until you need it.