Klarus (Tactical) switches. Which do you prefer ?

SixCats!

Enlightened
Hi all,

I was wondering if CPF Klarus owners have a preference for either the "dual" tail & side switch such as found on the (for example) the Klarus ST20 or the dual rear switch as found on the XT2A. Both systems seem pretty darn good. I was just wondering which one you might like better (and why). Thanks.

Regards,
SixCats!

Danjojo

Newly Enlightened
I think having both switches on the tail is a much better design, really can't see any advantage to the ST20's mode/strobe location. Would seriously consider the XT2A as my next light if it wasn't almost 6 1/2 in. long. Almost Jetbeam PA-40 territory.

SixCats!

Enlightened
Hi Dan,

Thank you for your response to my question. I agree with you that both switches on the tail makes (appears) to be a better design. I hope to hear from Klarus owners who have experience with both type of switches and user opinion as to any (possible) pro's or con's.

Regards,
SixCats!

Samy

Enlightened
I have the ST20 and although a great light I find that I can't hand the light to anyone as the side switch confuses non flashaholics to no end and i get concerned when using it that I'll accidentally bump the light and change modes. I'm keen to try the XT2A as I tend to favour tactical tail switches.

The ST20 has much more throw than both my Quark XPG or XML lights.

Cheers

SixCats!

Enlightened
Hi Samy,

Thanks for your thoughts regarding the "side switch". I think I'm now beginning to lean towards the tactical tail switch.

Regards,
SixCats!

MrLi

Newly Enlightened
I have the Klarus ST20, and I use this more often when I go for night walks around my apartment complex. I like holding the flashlight with my thumb on the side button...it just feels natural for me if I want to change mode.

However, for searching stuff and short duration usage, I think I'd prefer the tactical tail switch (thumb at the rear switch).

Admittedly I haven't tried the tactical tail switch like the XT10/XT2A yet...but i like that idea too. Going to get me on of those soon...jumping on the "get 'em all" bandwagon :D

SixCats!

Enlightened
Hi MrLi,

If I may inquire.....what are you "overall" impressions of the Klarus ? I'm really impressed (what I've seen on the net) of the Klarus line. The ST20 looks good but, so does the (newer ?) XT line. I am liking the XT2A model as well as the XT 1C "CR123" model. I wish Klarus had a XT 2C model available. I'm having a real difficult time trying to decided between "AA" and "CR123" models (of any make). I suppose I shouldn't worry as sooner or later, I know I'll own one of each. Oooh, gotta get a "AAA" model (most likely a Streamlight) as well.

Regards,
SixCats!

MrLi

Newly Enlightened
Hey SixCats,

I only have 1 Klarus, the ST20, for now...but among my collection, I really like it. It's the slimmest among my AAs (Fenix LD20, Fenix E21, Dereelight Javelin, 4Sevens Quark X AA). Also, among those AA lights, the ST20 color is more cooler than my other AA (more white-ish). For me, definitely nice to hold in hand, though some people (my colleagues who were playing with it) felt it was too thin to hold.

I'm no expert when it comes to the technical details but i feel the build quality is nice, but I honestly like the mode on the Klarus. The ST20 has 2 modes, tightened (low > medium > high) and loosen (lower > sos > beacon). To access strobe, you press and hold the side switch in either mode.

It has mode memory on the tightened mode, which I really like because I usually leave the light on medium for tightened mode. The momentary on function (forward clicky) is a plus for me too...that's one thing I wish I had on my Fenix LD20.

For me, I started with AA lights first...then as I spend more time in CPF, so does my wallet :D
Because after the flashlights, came the eneloops, then came the Maha c9000 charger :duh2:

The XT series is in my list to buy next...just not sure which one I want lol. I'm in the same boat, as in, I'm liking the tactical tail switches but I'm not sure if I wanna go AA or CR123 lol

SixCats!

Enlightened
Hi MrLi,

Thank you for your in depth response regarding your ST20. It sounds like you have a VERY nice light. Regarding your friends feeling that the ST20 is "too" thin.....the first time I handled my (first purchased as a CPF member) Streamlight PT2AA, I also felt it was too thin. However, since using the PT2AA over the last several months, I must admit I've become pretty fond of it's "feel/size" (and overall quality). I believe this familiar "feel" would make it much easier for me to go with the Klarus XT2A should I decide to go with "AA's". I'm kinda leaning towards the XT1C just to try my "hand" at something different. Let us know MrLi what you decide. Thanks again.

Regards,
SixCats!

Samy

Enlightened
I agree with MrLi that the ST20 is very comfortable and natural to hold with a thumb on the side button and if you like to change modes very often and access strobe quicker than anything else out there then this is a great light. I like to change brightness settings regularly and I find that my Zebralight SC51 is excellent for this, but doesn't have the runtime or anywhere near the throw of the ST20. When lending lights to family members tactical Quarks are best, I've tried the Zebralight and Klarus and it ain't going to happen for either. ;)

Cheers

madecov

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the XT-10 and it is very very user friendly. I have it as a belt carried duty light. I find out of all the modern lights today that comes closest to being perfect as a Police duty light for me.

I have on order bot versions of the new AA lights with the tail switch. I will be using a second XT-10 as a duty weapon light on a patrol carbine.

SixCats!

Enlightened
Hi all & HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Well, I had a bit of petty cash to spend on a Flashlight so, tonight, I ordered the KLARUS ST20 (two AA side switch model) from going gear. I think it will be a nice light especially considering it's on sale for $39.00. I just HAD to have a new toy and didn't want to spend too much money. I hope I made a good purchase. I'll let you know my impressions when I receive the light NEXT year. Oooh, I also purchased
(last week) a STREAMLIGHT PRO STYLUS AAA (single mode) light. I think it too will be a neat lil' light.

Regards,
SixCats!

madecov

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was so impressed by the XT-10, I ended up getting the complete XT series. And will also get the XT-11 once it is readily available

SixCats!

Enlightened
Hi guys,

Madecov, glad to hear you like the XT series. I may later purchase a XT series after the price goes down a bit. Samy, yes indeed, I too thought $39.00 seemed like a real bargain price for a nice two cell (AA) ST20. I like the fact that the ST20 has a pretty bright HIGH as well as a VERY low settings as well. In addition, I very much like the fact that the STROBE can be accessed with just a simple squeeze of the side button, regardless of what other mode I might be in. I like my first purchase, a STREAMLIGHT PRO TAC (AA) series (3 modes- Bright/Strobe/Low) but dislike having to cycle through STROBE in order to get to Low. Also, if I ever needed to use STROBE for an emergency/defensive situation, it is MUCH too difficult/confusing to quickly access the Strobe.

Regards,
SixCats!