Need a bit of over the phone networking help...

guiri

Flashlight Enthusiast
IDEALLY someone that has a WD TV Live but not necessarily.

WD TV Live is one of those things that connects to your tv and lets you watch your content on the tv.
Mine is networkable and was working fine but something has changed and now it won't see my server
or my computer..
I need someone to walk me through stuff like subnet, dns server and all that stuff to make sure
they're all on the same page so to speak.

Any takers?

By the way, I stay up VERY late so californians that are up late can volunteer too (if anyone wants to volunteer that is) :)

Thanks

George

Dr Jekell

Enlightened
Have you tried turning it off, unplugging the network cable, turning it back on then once it is started up again plug the cable back in.

You could also see if there is a auto config utility for the device that may be able to fix it for you.

Ninja edit: PDF manual - http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/library/UM/ENG/4779-705062.pdf

Page 25 - Check network connection
Page 182 - Network Settings
Page 119 - Network trouble shooting
Page 21 - Network setup

Last edited:

guiri

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tried that but nothing. ALso, the network manual you showed me is for the streaming media unit which mine isn't. Mine does not have wireless either.

I think I mostly need someone to talk me through the ip settings n' stuff to make sure I have all the right numbers in there.

I tried with my manual setup but it keeps telling me I have the wrong dns server.

Actually, now it tells me network setup done but still nothing. I think it says this because I shut my server down (one of the drives was making a funky noise)
but the computer is still connected to the router so I would think if things are ok, it should find the computer which I COULD access before.

Thanks

George

guiri

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not for me. If your number is a landline, it only costs me 2 cents a minute to Australia :)