LED flashlight for aircraft inspection.

Herk

Newly Enlightened
What does everyone recommend for aircraft inspection LED flashlight? Consider 20-30' infrequent need with closer inspection criteria of 3-6' used more often. Right now use SL4AALED propolymer, which works fairly well. Anything out there with a narrower beam and a bit smaller?

V8TOYTRUCK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmm, I guess you could get a KL1+E2e. The Surefire A2 aviator was made just for that purpose. It has 3 small LEDs for close up work as a low beam, then if you fully depress the switch you get a incandescant high beam.

Herk

Newly Enlightened
I figured it would be the L4 but I had to ask. I do not really like the aviator just due to the incandescent bulb. Prefer the long run time of LED's. Thanks.

Saaby

Flashaholic
How about, uhh, the A2. If I'm not mistaken (What't the heck is that phrase) or rather, if I'm correct, it meets some extra FAA type regulations.

catch228

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Herk said:
I figured it would be the L4 but I had to ask. I do not really like the aviator just due to the incandescent bulb. Prefer the long run time of LED's.

[/ QUOTE ]

The runtime on the L4 is also only an hour, similar to incandescent lights. I carry mine along with an extra set of batteries. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

ksbman

Flashaholic*
Are you doing a mechanic walk-around or a pilot walk-around?

Is it a big aircraft or a little aircraft?

A pilot with either big or little aircraft or a mechanic with small aircraft the L4 would be perfect.

I'm an airline mechanic (big aircraft) and the L4 doesn't light up the tails well enough for me. I took my Blaster V to work one night to try and it was awesome. It is too big to carry around, though. A Blaster VI would be the LED I would use if I didn't prefer a rechargeable light.

I'm anxiously awaiting the Surefire 8AX/KL7 combo.

Herk

Newly Enlightened
I'm a flight engineer on C130's. Exterior inspections and interior inpections. Also needed for MX repair in engine areas and hydraulic areas.
I was not aware of the run time on the L4 being only an hour/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif. I still would like to stick to LED only flashlights.

eluminator

Flashlight Enthusiast
How about the ARC LS? And when you are crawling around in cramped spaces have you though about the PT Aurora headlamp?

tylerdurden

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you need more throw than the L4, you're going to want something using the Pelican M6 reflector (either a PM6 with a McModule or the new McLux PR head on either a McLux or a SF Ex body).

BlindedByTheLite

Flashlight Enthusiast
why not a Streamlight TL3? i believe you get 4 hours on high and like 40 or 50 hours at a lower power or something.. (and so not to confuse, it doesn't have two seperate settings.. it just naturally dims after 4 hours)

i don't think it puts out quite as much light as an L4, but the L4 is probly the nicest LED light readily available at this time.. (from what i hear)

John N

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know it's not smaller, but how about an Elektro Lumens Tri Star?

3 x 1W, focused, 3 x D cell (should be pretty good run time - 12 hrs claimed).

The business end:
Tri-Star.3.jpg

Tri Star, top, vs 5W, bottom:
Tri-Star3W-BlasterVI.Beamshot.jpg

-john

Atomic6

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd recommend A Modified Pelican M6 with a diffusor Accessory. Get the PM6 McModule LED that tylerdurden
mentioned and then put a SureFire Tip-off Difussor sized for a 6P on the front. It has a spring loaded, flip-up lense filter. The diffusor lense will be awesome for the close-up (*****'n flood) and you'll be able to count rivets on the tail at midnight with it wide open. You'll need a different carry method using the tip-off because it won't fit in the factory supplied PM6 holster. You could consider installing one of McGizmo's button tabs on the body and use a clip to hang it on your belt or bag, or use an oversized O-ring fwd of the tailcap with and lanyard. You'll also want the clickie tail cap mod by Don too. The stock tail switch on the PM6 is boring. All this PM6 stuff is at the Sandwich Shoppe and the SF stuff is anywhere you want to get it. C130's are awesome.

brightnorm

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
Herk said:
... I was not aware of the run time on the L4 being only an hour/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif. I still would like to stick to LED only flashlights.

[/ QUOTE ]

Herk,

That's one hour of constant regulated brightness

If you need a longer throwing very bright LED light you might consider the Streamlight TL-3 LED (Streamlight's "TL" series should not be confused with the "TT" series)

It is bigger than the L4 but is still a compact 3x123 light:

L 6 1/4"
Bezel dia 1 5/8"
Body dia 7/8"
Wt 6.7oz

Although its total output in lumens is less than the L4 Streamlight uses a unique focusing bezel/reflector to create a surprisingly powerful long-throwing beam. The light is not regulated but achieves an impressively slow rate of beam decay:

b]---------LSH-P----L4-----McM--------TL3-----MIN----% DIM
8:05pm--34.4------81.9----82.8-------60.3------0--------0-------------
8:55pm----------------------------------54.2------50-------10
9:22pm----------------------------------51.0------77-------16
9:53pm----------------------------------49.3-----108-------18
10:37-------------------------------------43.9-----152-------27
11:07pm---------------------------------33.5-----182-------44

After 50 minutes the TL-3 LED has lost only 10% of initial brightness, 6% after 77 minutes, 18% after 108 minutes and 27% after 152 minutes. So, after approx 2 1/2 hours its total output is still greater than an LSH-P with fresh batteries.

These figures are proportionally accurate but do not represent actual lumen figures.

Brightnorm

Herk

Newly Enlightened
I see that there are many options. The PM6 with Mcmodule /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif.
I would like something that my fellow engineers would bite off on. It would have to be practical (one flashlight, many uses) we already carry too much stuff /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif,somewhat affordable,push-button on/off switch of some kind, battery life,easy to carry and all-around dependability. If they don't bite off on my suggestion, no problem /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif, At least I'll have one /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif.

Herk

Newly Enlightened
Thanks, your post. Helped my decision making be a bit easier. I will look into the TL-3 LED. Thanks again.
----------------------------------------------------------
SL4AApropoly,Attitude,CMG Infinity,CMG infinity Ultra (lithium),SL Scorpion,Many broken Maglights(C,D,AA,AAA)

Atomic6

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
tylerdurden said:
[ QUOTE ]
Atomic6 said:
put a SureFire Tip-off Difussor sized for a 6P on the front.

[/ QUOTE ]Will that work? The PM6 bezel is a bit smaller than the 6P Bezel.

[/ QUOTE ]

filter.jpg

I bought this filter thinking it would fit the G2. It didn't. It fits snugly on a PM6. The product info on the filters indicates a fit on: 3P-6P-6R-6Z-7Z-9P-9Z - FYI

shankus

Flashlight Enthusiast
If a 1 watt luxeon is bright enough, I recommend the MadMax+.

And I forgot. Welcome to CPF, Herk!

FBA

Newly Enlightened
Re: LED flashlight for aircraft inspection.

hi Herk, i am working in aviation line too.i carry four lights with me all the time. my colleauge say i'm crazy but i don't bother with their remarks.
i carry TL-3- for exterior inspections,ARC LSH-P for close up work or inspection(with 123 tsp),ARC AAA for task that needs minimal lights(i hang the ARC AAA around my neck like you wear chain &Pelican Mity light for places which i know i'll get dirty like landing gears .
with the ARC AAA around my neck it is like a semi-handsfree operation.no need to put back in your pocket then take out again then back to your pocket... troublesome.
still waiting for TSP AA or my LSH-P.
and by the way if anyone wants to borrow light from me, which happen frequently, i'll give them the Mity light.