Mini review of Lumapower D-Mini EX2

Colinsdad

Newly Enlightened
Hey there guys and gals! I wanted to give you guys a peek at the EX2 I picked up recently from Ricky over at Lumapower. Some time ago, I wrote Ricky an email asking him if he had any plans to use the then-new XML emitter in a package that was similar to my VX Ultra, which had, over the last year or so, become one of my favorite outdoor lights, in both 1X16340 and 1X18650 configs. Ricky contacted me and said basically "oh yes....trust me when I tell you we have something in the works as we speak for this emitter that will certainly interest you!". So, I began to read up a bit more on the XML and what Ricky may have in mind for its use.

After reading up on the specs of the XML, I realized that, theoretically at least, the XML had the ability to probably outperform the SST50 emitter in the VX ultra, given that it was driven correctly. When the light arrived some weeks ago, I was pleasantly surprised to see that it resembles the VX Ultra rather closely, in both form and function. The major differences between the two lights are:

1) The EX2 has a much deeper SMO reflector, rather than the VX's rather shallow OP reflector
2) The T6 XML in the EX2 matches, if not exceeds, the SST50 in the VX in performance, and does so in a 1X16340 config
3) The runtimes in the 16340 config are GREATLY improved over the abysmal runtime of the VX in that config-If I remember correctly, Selfbuilt did a review of the VX where (on an 750 MaH IMR 16340) it ran about 15 mins before cashing it in. With an AW 16340 protected, I was getting over an hour on high.

Here's a cut-and-paste of the EX2's specs from Battery Junction:

Features and Specifications
  • LED: Cree XM-L T6 Cool White
  • 4 Levels of output: 100%, 40%, 15%, 5%
  • Smart UI: Ultra->High->Med->Low + Tactical Strobe
  • Output:
    • Using 1 x Li-Ion 18650: 15 to 600 lumens (out the emitter)
    • Using 1 x Lithium CR123A: 15 to 350 lumens (out the emitter)
  • Runtime:
    • Using 1 x 2800mAh Li-Ion 18650: 120 minutes on Ultra, 3,000 minutes on Low
    • Using 1 x Lithium CR123A: 120 minutes on Ultra, 4,000 minutes on Low
  • Battery Types: 1 x Lithium CR123A, 1 x Li-Ion CR16340, or 1 x Li-Ion 18650 (using optional D65 Extender). Note: Only 1 x 18650 may be used with the extender tube. (Batteries not included)
  • A smooth reflector maximizes throw
  • Double-sided AR-coated lens
  • Forward tactical click switch with thread-lock design
  • Able to tailcap stand in "candle" mode
  • Dimensions:
    • Length (with standard battery tube): 4.04" (102.5 mm)
    • Bezel Diameter: 1.67" (42.5 mm)
    • Body Diameter: 0.96" (24.5 mm)
  • Weight (with standard battery tube, no battery installed): 4.3 oz (122 g)
  • Made of T6061 aircraft aluminum
  • Type-III Hard Anodizing
  • Package includes: spare o-rings, spare rubber tailcap boot
Size-wise, the two lights are fairly similar:

The EX, just like the VX, is a very handy size- for size reference, I have medium-large hands:

The operation of the lights are very similar, with four well-spaced settings. The tailcap switch is a positive-feeling forward clicky with momentary and memory. And, as in all LP products, the GITD treatment is evident in the tailswitch and the ring inside the bezel- always a nice touch, IMHO.
Now, for the outdoor beamshots:thumbsup:

I will preface these pics with my impressions of the EX's beam profile as compared to the VX Ultra- It has more focused overall beam pattern, with a much more focused hotspot and tighter corona than the VX. The T6 bin tint is a bright white color, with just a very subtle hint of blue. As you can see from the pics, the SST50 is a "warmer" tint in the VX than the EX2. The below pics were taken with a Casio Exilim 10.1 MP camera with the "AUTO ISO" mode on. I'm not much of a "camera dude", so, I apologize with the picture quality. Both lights are on their HIGH setting, with the EX2 using a AW 16340 and the VX an IMR 16340 and the target is approx 25 yards away. The VX is on the left and the EX on the right.

As you can see from this pic, the EX is definitely more of a "thrower" than the VX Ultra is.

This is a pic of just the EX2 at 25 yards.

In this pic, the EX2 is on the LEFT and, for sake of a similar comparison, I used a 4sevens mini XML on the right. Both lights are on their HIGHEST setting and the fence is 50 feet away this time. As you can see, the EX2 is doing a MUCH better job lighting up the target, and has a much more useable beam at this distance than the 4Sevens(which has a Titanium innovations CR123 primary).

In closing, I have to say that there is really no "winner" in this comparison test, as I really like these two lights very much! In fact, I still leave my VX Ultra in the glove compartment as an emergency light- it still elicits "Wow's" from people who are not flashlight savvy and see this sucker up close. The Mini XML does the same thing, but, I seem to have my son "borrowing" it all the time with RCR's; again, 4Sevens makes EXCELLENT products, so this is not me trying to take anything away from the Mini XML here- its just not a thrower like the EX2 is. All in all, Ricky has again built a VERY capable tactical light in a very handy size and, with the good runtimes with just 1X16340 configuration (the 18650 extender is extra), a very novel XML product that will certainly give the owner many years of trouble free service.:thumbsup: