single 123 format throwers?

abinok

Newly Enlightened
Im looking to acquire a small, light weight light using a single 123 or RCR123 with lots of throw. it needs a good amount of spill... but mainly I need throw. Im currently using a jetbeam BC10 powered by a IMR 123 cell. The output is adequate, but the beam configuration is not quite throwy enough.

Im currently leaning towards a Quark 123 Turbo X on a mini quark body.

Is there any other options I should look at?

peterharvey73

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow, the BC10 R5 throws 167 meters according to Selfbuilt's tests.
The RRT-0 R5's are discontinued, but there may be old stock left?
The new RRT-0 XM-L's are floody so only throws 150 meters now.
If I'm not wrong, the Quark 123 Turbo X is very floody?
Ditto the Thrunite 1C XM-L, and the Lumitop Incendio V5's.
The old V10R R5's threw around 130 meters; the new V10R XM-L throws some 115 meters.
The only throwy single 123 left is a HDS Rotary or Clicky 200 R5???

abinok

Newly Enlightened
I would assume the Quark turbo x would throw pretty well. The reflector is about the same size as the Thrunite Scorpion V2 turbohead... and that light throws great. Turbo X has a 1.5" reflector.

Im familiar with the RRT-0 xml, and you are quite rite, the BC10 handily beats it in throw.

archimedes

Flashaholic
Im looking to acquire a small, light weight light using a single 123 or RCR123 with lots of throw. it needs a good amount of spill... but mainly I need throw....Is there any other options I should look at?

Hmmm, small single-cell throwers .... how about SureFire E1B, HDS 170 ("legacy" version with the Osram Golden Dragon emitter), or early versions of the JetBEAM RRT-0 (R2 or R5 emitters) ?

BTW, the "throw to size" ratio of the E1B is ridiculous :D

EDIT: here's a link to a typically awesome selfbuilt review of relevance:

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...R-Round-up-Review-RUNTIMES-BEAMSHOTS-amp-more!

Last edited:

pinetree89

Enlightened
A budget option might be the Fenix E15. In a way it's Fenix's attempt at a TIR. They come nowhere near the quality of Surefire but it is quite a throwy beam in a small 1 CR123 format. The beam is far from perfect with some wire artifacts and vague transition from the hotspot to spill, but for around $30 what can you expect?

Out of my Olight i1, Mini 123, and Quark 123 it's surprisingly the throwiest of the 4.

abinok

Newly Enlightened
Ive got a E1B... im wanting something with a larger reflector.

heres the Quark turbo x on a 123 body as mentioned above...
fenix2.jpg

fenix1.jpg

Does the Lumapower Incindio take a large turbohead?

peterharvey73

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the Lumapower Incendio V5 Turbo is no match for your 1.5 inch Quark Turbo X above.
Your 1.5" Quark Turbo X above is the biggest 123 size I've ever seen!

gcbryan

Flashlight Enthusiast
What emitter is in that Quark TUrbo. I see from the 4Sevens site that they are offered in XM-L and XP-G. Were older versions ever offered in XP-E?

So the driver in the Turbo can handle only one CR 123 (3V)? I love the look of that light pictured above. I'd like it in a XR-E or XP-E version though.

abinok

Newly Enlightened
What emitter is in that Quark TUrbo. I see from the 4Sevens site that they are offered in XM-L and XP-G. Were older versions ever offered in XP-E?

So the driver in the Turbo can handle only one CR 123 (3V)? I love the look of that light pictured above. I'd like it in a XR-E or XP-E version though.

The head pictured in the above photo is the Turbo X... its got a XML driven at one amp. its got a 3-9v driver in it, and ships with a 2x CR123 tube.
I believe there are XPE-R5 models, but with a head that is .3" smaller diameter.

Phil40000

Newly Enlightened
Easy answer, the Lumapower D-mini VX with R2 led and Turbo Force head will out throw anything else i have tried and can run on 1xRCR123 or 1x18650 RCR. You can order the complete set-up direct. I have an XM-L pill that i can swap for the R2 and although the XM-L gives 550 lumen it is not a patch on the R2. I have bought and sold nearly every light mentioned here as they were poor throwers compared to the Lumapower. The Lumapower incendio upgrade XP-G with Turbo kit (18650 tube and larger, clear reflector is a good 1x123 thrower as well but again not as good as the D-mini.

abinok

Newly Enlightened
Easy answer, the Lumapower D-mini VX with R2 led and Turbo Force head will out throw anything else i have tried and can run on 1xRCR123 or 1x18650 RCR. You can order the complete set-up direct. I have an XM-L pill that i can swap for the R2 and although the XM-L gives 550 lumen it is not a patch on the R2. I have bought and sold nearly every light mentioned here as they were poor throwers compared to the Lumapower. The Lumapower incendio upgrade XP-G with Turbo kit (18650 tube and larger, clear reflector is a good 1x123 thrower as well but again not as good as the D-mini.
How in the world did I forget about the d mini!
If I recall, you can screw a d26 pill in and swap out emitters and electronics. I've used a couple of xre r2 lights with 1.3-1.6" reflectors and they certainly throw. I wonder if a d mini with the big reflector and a nailbender drop-in might be what I'm after...

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anyone got a quark turbo that they can compare with the turbo-x?
The turbo-x is not driven hard at all (~33% of max if it's driven at only one amp), so the led will not have any good surface brightness. It has a bigger reflector than the normal turbo, but it has a bigger led, so i guess the led/reflector size ratio may be the the same on both. I suspect the normal turbo to be a way better thrower.

Kenaz

Newly Enlightened

Phil,
Where can I purchase the d mini with the exact setup you mentioned?

Louis

Phil40000

Newly Enlightened
I bought the complete D-mini set-up direct from Ricky @ Lumapower, just make sure that you ask for the smaller R2 emitter and the large Turbo Force head. The 18650 extension tube comes as standard, this set-up will provide 250otf lumens compared to 550/600 emitter lumens with the XM-L but the R2 is miles ahead throwise. At the weekend i put the XM-L pill in my D-mini to see what it was like, it puts out more light but it is very floody, the R2 emitter puts out a super thin laser like beam profile which goes on forever, it also puts out a uniform large ring that is still useful for walking in the dark etc. I have spent hundreds of pounds buying lights that people have said were good throwers only to find them poor at best. It was member bigchelis that told me about the Lumapower set-up, in every post like this he mentions the Lumapower D-mini and quotes how much more lux (true throw) it gives compared to other lights.