Headlamps with very low lumen setting?

africanexperience

Newly Enlightened
Can anyone point me to headlamps with a very low lumen setting - similar to that of Zebras? I find the lowest setting very useful - far more than the brightest one.

Thanks guys!

Gregozedobe

Enlightened
Do you just want low levels of illumination, or are you after long run times and/or variable levels ?

If you purely want low levels and nothing else then simply obscure the lens (opaque tape, paint etc) to get the level of illumination you want.

Why not the Zebralight headlamps ? I find L2 on my H51 to be reasonably low (but think it might be slightly higher than the rated 0.2 lumens). The H600 goes even lower (h2 rated at 0.1 lumens)

africanexperience

Newly Enlightened
Sorry, I was really a bit hasty and not specific enough. I am after long run times and variable levels but with an emphasis on the low end rather than the high. And a floody beam rather than a thrower. I have a H501 but it's erratic operation and problems have put me off a bit - just exploring what other options are out there. Battery type either AA or AAA. I don't want to spend lots as a headlamp is not my primary illumination - its more for reading in bed and general camp chores. Quite tempted by the Icon Irix, in fact I love the idea of a rotary knob, but I wonder how the low setting would be.

f22shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry, I was really a bit hasty and not specific enough. I am after long run times and variable levels but with an emphasis on the low end rather than the high. And a floody beam rather than a thrower. I have a H501 but it's erratic operation and problems have put me off a bit - just exploring what other options are out there. Battery type either AA or AAA. I don't want to spend lots as a headlamp is not my primary illumination - its more for reading in bed and general camp chores. Quite tempted by the Icon Irix, in fact I love the idea of a rotary knob, but I wonder how the low setting would be.

Maybe the spark sd52? (2aa)

Last edited:

Bolster

Flashlight Enthusiast
African, I have an Irix II and will estimate the low lumens for you, give me a day or two.

FWIW the Spark SD52 has a very dim sublumen mode but do you want two AAs? There will be an SD5 along soon (1AA).

africanexperience

Newly Enlightened
Bolster that would be fantastic - thanks. Not too bothered about battery numbers, but I don't really want a battery carrier hanging off the back.
Thanks

Henry50

Newly Enlightened
$20 - 35 lumen (half setting available)- http://www.blackdiamondequipment.com/en-us/shop/mountain/lighting/gizmo-headlamp - "72 hrs" 2 AAA. I have this one, if you have any questions let me know. drop me a pm as a reminder if i dont reply.

"Max Burn Time: 100 hours at 4 lumens, Minimum Burn-time: 20 hours at 24 lumens" - manufacturers specs according to this review: http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Lighting/Headlamps - LED/Black Diamond Gizmo Headlamp/Test Report by Mike Wilkie/

$20 - 12 lumens http://www.blackdiamondequipment.com/en-us/shop/mountain/lighting/ion-headlamp "15h" 6v battery

$19 - 16 lumens http://www.blackdiamondequipment.com/en-us/shop/mountain/lighting/wiz-headlamp "120h" 2 AAA. The only downside with this one is AFAIK it turns off after a while (its designed for kids where it accidently gets turned on in backpack)

Last edited:

Bolster

Flashlight Enthusiast
African, I have an Irix II and will estimate the low lumens for you, give me a day or two.

The specifications say 5 lumen bottom. My Lumen-toob estimate says six.

That's actually pretty darned bright. In the middle of the night you want sub-lumen.

The lowest headlamp level I'm aware of comes from the H501r, which has a .1 lumen level.

Last edited:

f22shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry, I was really a bit hasty and not specific enough. I am after long run times and variable levels but with an emphasis on the low end rather than the high. And a floody beam rather than a thrower. I have a H501 but it's erratic operation and problems have put me off a bit - just exploring what other options are out there.

h501 is one of my fav headlamp. maybe my most used flashlight. but i realized while playing with an almost dead alkaline aa cell that it needs a bit of power to start up. for example, that same cell can start up my st5(1aa) but not the h501. i remember someone else complaining about shutting off and not being able to turn on in another zebralight(123 version, carrot?).

africanexperience

Newly Enlightened
The specifications say 5 lumen bottom. My Lumen-toob estimate says six.That's actually pretty darned bright. In the middle of the night you want sub-lumen. The lowest headlamp level I'm aware of comes from the H501r, which has a .1 lumen level.
Many thanks for doing this Bolster, its really appreciated! So looks like Zebralight are pretty much unchallenged in this area. Thanks.

africanexperience

Newly Enlightened
yeah, I would love to own a saint - but I will not use a lamp with a rear battery pack and CR123 batteries are unobtanium where I live, so that is ruled out. If only the saint would come in a single AA I would probably buy one.

africanexperience

Newly Enlightened
Thanks Bolster - I have seen it, thanks. I am actually waiting for a CPF review on it before deciding on a HL, but realistically it would have to be very, very good to convince me to drop that amount on another light right now. It certainly wont be the aesthetics that sell me on it that is for sure!