Sunwayman V10R vs. Zebralight SC31

snakyjake

Enlightened
Every year around Daylight Standard Time I try to buy a new light (I'm late this year). This year has brought me to the duel of Sunwayman V10R and Zebralight SC31. Tough choice.

Main use is around the house and outside; pocket carry comfort; prefer a wide beam. I sometimes hold in mouth, so it needs to be mouth comfortable (I can do this with my Fenix PD3).

I'm looking at Sunwayman because of the simple interface and momentary on. You press the button, and the light is instantly on the setting you have on the ring.

I'm looking at ZL because of the smaller size and rave reviews. You press button, but the light is either high or low, delayed. There's an extra click if you just wanted momentary light.

For this duel, I need to see some photos showing size differences, and showing relative size in the hand. This is about the comfort when not being used.
Also for the duel, I want to see how fast the power-on and power-off draw is (just like a shootout...who is the fastest). With my other lights I fumble to figure out which end has the button, do a bunch of clicks to find the setting I want, sometimes clicking past the setting I wanted. My Liteflux LF3XT has an electronic button, and it is slow. I also don't like hearing clicks, but like to feel the feedback.

If anyone has both lights, can you share your opinions?
Are both lights small enough to be comfortable in jeans pocket?

The battle is going to come down to size and UI.

Thanks. Jake.

twl

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Zebralight is smaller by a good amount.
The Sunwayman will win the speed contest because you have to carry the Zebralight with the tailcap locked-out to prevent accidental turn-on in your pocket.

UI battle comes down to if you like a dial with infinite adjustments, or if you like multiple clicking for many different brightnesses.

It's a tough call, but all things considered, I'd take the Sunwayman. I like the variable ring, and I really like the Sunwayman build quality, and I don't like having to lock out the tailcap on the Zebralight. The Zebralight UI might be popular, but I don't like the way the button will accidentally activate the light.
I really think that Sunwayman looks to be taking the lead in quality Chinese lights. They are really doing well.

They have a new model upcoming called the M11R or "Mr. Elfin", which is totally kick-***, but it eliminates the tail button in favor of everything being done on the control ring including on/off. And it's shorter and has a bunch of improvements such as a knurled control ring, and it really looks hot! But it's not out yet. You can look in the Sunwayman forum on CPFMP to see some pre-release photos. It's smokin' hot!

Last edited:

snakyjake

Enlightened
Thanks for the M11R note. Love the idea of the control ring, but not sure if I want to give up momentary on. If ZL requires lock-out, then my decision is easy.

25.jpg

Tiggercat

Enlightened
I have both. I love both. As mentioned, size and possibly total output go to the ZL; everything else goes to the SWM.

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
i edc a V10R Ti, and used to have a SC30w.

my biggest problem and only complaint i can think of with the SC30w, was that i had to lock out the tailcap.

i like the V10R UI more, which is more simple. clicky for on/off, and control ring for brightness.

pocket clip on the zebralight is better. i dont even use a clip on my v10r, i just drop it into my pocket.

both lights have a nice smooth beam, but the zebralight is smoother.

fit and finish i would give a slight edge to the zebra. the newer zebra designs seem to be quite robust for such a compact light.

aesthetically i like the v10r, but thats strictly a personal choice. also, doesnt hurt that mine is a Ti model. :devil:

i think the zebra was a really nice light all-around, but locking out the tailcap was a deal breaker for me as my EDC. although my second most carried light is a ZL H501w. which i do lock out the tailcap. :shrug:

Also, my V10R momentary is not as responsive as say, my McClickies. i can still mimic a strobe effect with it though. its just that you need to press down the swtich a little further before momentary activates. around 40% of the swtich travel before the click. hope that makes sense.

Last edited:

treek13

Flashlight Enthusiast
For a good size comparison, check out selfbuilt's Zebralight SC30 & H31w review. There is a photo with both the Zebralight SC30 (same body as SC31) and the Sunwayman M10R (same body as V10R).

I went with a Zebralight SC31W over the Sunwayman due to the smaller size & because of my preference for neutral tint lights.