O-Light SR-51 as a dive light?

Tommygun45

Enlightened
Hey there, had a question. I have an O-Light SR-51 with an IPX-8 rating. According to the definitions on various sites it says that this means submersion in 1 meter for 30 minutes. However I have also found a site that says you can have it in greater than 1 meter for extended periods of time with no ill-effects. Anyone know how the waterproofness of the SR-51 holds up, given that its rated an 8?

CyberCT

Enlightened
Hmm, for diving down 30 feet and beyond, my guess would be no. However, maybe for snorkeling it should be OK. I have taken my brighter Fenix lights which are all IPX-8 rated out in up to about 8ish feet deep freshwater. They work great and have not given me any problems. I did lube all the threads with plumber's grease though just in case.

Be careful and make sure Olight is good for water submersion. Initially when doing research on IPX-8, I have found some manufacturers use this rating but when their lights were actually submerged in a little water, the lights failed. I don't think Olight was one of those brands, but maybe do a little more research on it just to make sure.

Scubie67

Enlightened
I think IPX-8 rating is just 2 Meters for 30 minutes...Its really meant if you accidentally drop it in a puddle it should still work,not extended submersion.BTW Depth ratings on lights should exceed depths you plan on diving.If you were going to do some tech diving courses and want to do some 300 foot dives you should really get a 400' + rated light at the bare minimum and preferably a light rated for 500' or more to do repeated diving at that depth

CyberCT

Enlightened
I see what you are saying. However, there was a thread on this site that showed a tour of the Fenix factory in China and all the work / testing they do. Apparently they drop their lights into 30 feet of water for some time to check the waterproofness. I don't know if it's with all their lights but they do it with at least some. And 99% of their lights are IPX-8 rated. Somewhere else on this forum, someone lost a Fenix light outiside and found it like a year later, underwater in a river or some body of water. The light still worked.

DM51

Flashaholic
Please do yourself a favor and forget the IPxx ratings - they are meaningless BS. They are tests conducted under static conditions and are therefore completely artificial. They cease to have any relevance whenever dynamic factors are introduced, such as when a light is moved or operated under water.

There is only one way to be certain that a light will survive being operated underwater: use a dive light.

Latest posts