Winter and flashlights, is it just me?

sawlight

Enlightened
Most times I'm fine all summer long, now that I have acquired a decent assortment of lights that is:devil:
But come winter time I find myself wandering the the halls of CPF and the market place more and more. Maybe it's because it's darker longer, maybe it's just too cold to want to be outside and I have time in the evenings, not really sure.
But every winter it seems I "need" a new light. I don't even know what I'm looking for, but I sure have to look in case I miss the light I might need!
Am I the only one that gets hit with this or are most of you just year round addicts? (not meaning that in a bad way at all either:))

LRHogFan

Newly Enlightened
I think the fact that it's darker longer and also in my case, I'm looking for Christmas ideas for myself and others and just happen to always migrate to the flashlights.

MrLi

Newly Enlightened
I'm guilty of it too, especially when it gets dark earlier during winter time. Just finding more reason to use my flashlight even though it's just a short walk to my car at the parking lot at work :D

Also, I'm watching out for sales, especially the holiday season is kicking in !

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
I think the extra darkness does put added strain on a flashaholic. And, it is time for those holiday purchases.

Geoff

edpmis02

Enlightened
Me too!! Nov 2007 Got my first quality light (L0D Q4).
Nov 2010 purchased a neutral MiniAA & Quark 123.
Oct 2011, purchased two LD01's and a neutral Quark AA-2.
Now I am looking at something with a little more punch.. Zebralight SC600w, TK15 or an Olight holiday kit. Even thought about Maglite 2D for $15. Just can't decide...

Really do not need any more.. It is pretty bad when (in the winter), I have three lights on me.. and another three in the car, and three on my nightstand.

Last edited:

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm the opposite: comes March and then I'm looking for new lights to use in the summer. I guess I like to be able to go out in the field and test my lights right away without freezing my fingers off...

jamesmtl514

Flashlight Enthusiast
I second what Cataract said. Our winters are COLD. It's a lot less fun going out to play with them.
I do however find that I spend more time on here though, looking for new toys for the spring/summer. Its fun looking forward to going out and playing with them.

Mr Bigglow

Enlightened
I am in agreement with the OP. Our winters may be cold but for me their outstanding characteristic is that they're &^!$$& ing DARK and that the #$*&%@# ing DARK lasts for at least 12 $*&% ing hours. If you can't use a light now, then summer should be easy with paper matches.

LGT

Enlightened
I don't really buy more lights in the winter then other seasons. But I just want to say that I think cool whites are my absolute favorite lights to use in the winter with a nice snow cover on the ground. What colors they may seem to steal in the spring and summer, they highlight in a snow covered scape.

catherine

Banned
it is a little sad that although it is winter now, but the temperature is high. i can't find any feeling of winter. i like winter, and also like flashlight. Even the sun in the middle of the sky, but i bring one mini flashlight in my bag.

sawlight

Enlightened
See, LGT, I'm the total opposite! Once I managed to get high CRI in one light, I was ruined! I wish I could have found a warm E21 when I bought mine, even been thinking about selling it and getting a H51c.
I find I use my RA a lot more now, even in the daytime, I was trying to put cotter pins in tie rods today, it was overcast but even at 12pm it was dark enough to warrant it, now in June it wouldn't have been a problem!
I hate daylight savings time as well, but that's another topic! But with it getting dark at 5pm, and me liking to be outside as much as I can, lights really become more prevalent to me this time of year it seems.

ericjohn

Enlightened
i know what you mean, and as many have said i think it is because there is less daylight, and also Christmas time. i tend to enjoy the romantic glow of a standard PR bulb with carbon zinc or zinc chloride batteries during the winter time, and that is the type i buy for myself around that time of year. (only american made though bright star, etc.) i would also like a powerful multi mode LED for in case i have to be outside in the dark. bought my first mini maglite in the dead of winter.

as i write this post my keyboard is being lit by my garrity table lantern.

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to CPF to all the new members posting in this thread!!!

I am always on the hunt for a bargain. I usually don't buy the latest bleeding edge tech but rather stuff I've admired for a while. I just got a KL6 with a Lux V emitter. I put it on a M3 tube with a SW02 switch. That makes for a rather puny lumens to size ratio but what a cool looking light!

Winter for me is more pockets to carry stuff. My jacket has a L4 and a couple of glow sticks in it.

My "summer" pocket light, an Arc AAA has now been swapped for a "winter" Aeon.

And yes I am enjoying the longer nights with my lights.

kelmo

Paytonium

Newly Enlightened
It most certainly stems from the fact that it gets dark earlier...but to throw out a more manly explanation, we want to be able to overpower our neighbors entire "Christmas light" setup with one Quark Mini. And when the neighbor catches on, out come the big guns (insert 700 lumen torch of your choice).

yifu

Enlightened
Here in Australia, "winter" is where days get hotter and longer and brighter. When the sun goes down after 8.30, there is simply no need for flashlights.

Gregozedobe

Enlightened
Here in Australia, "winter" is where days get hotter and longer and brighter. When the sun goes down after 8.30, there is simply no need for flashlights.

Note: not all Australians agree with the above poster - we do have a winter, it is just at a different time of the year to that experienced by the denizens of the northern hemisphere.

As for "there is simply no need for flashlights" that's just heretical blasphemy here on CPF. Even with daylight saving time in summer it's easy to need lights, you just have to stay up a bit later at night ;)

mat_the_cat

Newly Enlightened
it is a little sad that although it is winter now, but the temperature is high. i can't find any feeling of winter.
I know exactly what you mean - here in the UK we've only had a few frosts so far, mainly it's just been grey and damp.

I'm probably not considered a true flashaholic, as I only buy a new light when there is a defined 'need' for one - my enjoyment comes from the use rather than the purchase. And this time of year my lights see some heavy use, I do a lot of stuff outside when I get home from work, looking after animals and tinkering with cars usually. I don't let the dark stop me!