Maratac AAA Momentary On!

dtolomei

Newly Enlightened
Hello All,

First let me apologize if this has already been written about, but in a quick search, I found nothing on this topic.

So, I just got a Maratac AAA Cu a couple of weeks ago, and I'm not going to lie, at first I was very displeased. Right out of the box (or paper bag in this case :shakehead), the light was failing to push through the modes. Sticking on medium, jumping to high, skipping low, and just showing all around erratic behavior when trying to switch between modes. This is to be expected over time for a light of this size at this cost, but when it arrives at your door? I find this unacceptable.

I read over everyone's suggestions on this issue, but nothing solved the issue. Then, completely on accident, I realized that if you tighten the head just about an either of a turn before it turns on, you can pull this little guy by the head into your palm and it will come on as if there's a momentary switch. When using the light in this manner, it switches between modes flawlessly! After this realization, this Cu has replaced my QTC Eiger as my EDC due to it's weight and size.

Hope this post helps some of you Maratac owners out there enjoy this little light in a new way.

Cheers.

Tiggercat

Enlightened
This is completely different from my experience. I can squeeze and activate my Quarks, Preon, Olight EOS i1, Klarus X6, and EagleTac D25C, but my Maratac AAA (SS) is solid as a rock.

derfyled

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's called ''thread play'' and it's quite common on many twisty light.

dtolomei

Newly Enlightened
Hi Tiggercat,

Could be a result of the softer Cu as opposed to your SS. The machining on mine doesn't really leave a whole lot of play & takes very little pressure to engage.

calipsoii

Flashlight Enthusiast
I experienced the same issue with my Maratac Cu. I haven't used it in quite some time because it's impossible to reliably get it into the mode I want. Might sit down when I have time one day and try to buff the PCB a bit and debur the body, but I'm not super hopeful.

mikesantor

Enlightened
Im with Cypher. I have had my Cu since about 2 weeks after it came out. Im a construction worker and it has been on my keys getting banged around the whole time. Everything is flawless. As a matter of fact, I have never had even one problem switching through modes.

Im sorry to hear you are having issues. I really do love my Cu...

RedForest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah it's just down to the tolerance of thread machining, it's the same thing which causes it to skip modes when twisting. You should be able to fix it by taking the spring out of the tube at the bottom and either stretching it a lot so it pushes the cell much harder against the positive contact or replacing it with a stronger spring.

cnjl3

Enlightened
How weird, my Maratac Cu AAA switches modes flawlessly, never had a problem with it. I feel no thread play yet I can palm pressure squeeze through all the modes, so even though I can't feel any thread play it has enough to allow switching modes. But for momentary lighting scenarios I do prefer holding the head of my CU AAA tightly between my index finger and middle finger with the other fingers curled like a fist and then I use my thumb to switch it on/off if I only have one hand free.

Latest posts