Short on time, Need MAG suggestions..

drew332

Newly Enlightened
Due to upcoming sells for black friday I need some help. Is the stock MagLED worth buying or should I get an incan 2c etc. to mod? How about a big 4d light? I have a 3d running 4cs (currently searching bulbs) have a 2d that is in bad shape. I would like a c size to run lithiums in. Are the big lights of much use for modding? I will get definite sizes available tomorrow. What is the best size for hotwire? Basically looking for the best size or two...
Thanks.
Drew

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
go for 4c, turn it into 1185, (3x18650), but do get deep FM ver2 reflector for it, it will throw really far.
you can turn your 4d mag into serious hotwire as well, 4x26650 cells, and 12w 50-90w bulb, but you will need metal reflector and borofloat glass.
magleds are ok, great lights for normal person 99% of the time, too weak for us, spoiled flashoholics

drew332

Newly Enlightened
Thanks, that is what i was looking for. Anyone else have a different idea? What if they have no 4c? Go 3c?

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks, that is what i was looking for. Anyone else have a different idea? What if they have no 4c? Go 3c?

I built a 4x18650 in a 2D dorcy light. The plastic ones have spacing ribs that let you sneak 18650 side-by-side. I have it running a 35W halogen. I measured the running voltage at about 11.8v. Not overdriving it, but nice and bright. If I take care of the batteries, I think the first thing to go will be the sliding metal switch thing.

I'm sure that's not what you're looking for though, since it won't be as durable as a mag mod.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
3c wont fit 3x18650 cells needed for 1185, bon't bother with smaller cells.
you can run 3c on 2x18650 with rop lo bulb, rop ho bulb will give you more lm, but it needs cells capable of high discharge, plus heat will be an issue for rop ho when running for 10 min and more nonestop.
you will need aluminium reflector\glass lens in any hotwire mod.

drew332

Newly Enlightened
i checked what was available this morning. 2c, 3c, and 4d. So is the 3c the best option for a hotwire host?

papageorgio

Newly Enlightened
The 2d with a cree r2 is 15 bucks at home depot...you could mod it, but I actually like this light a lot! great thrower on a budget, way deeper reflector than my old mag with the aftermarket led upgrade...