Fenix LD10 vs. Zebralight SC51

Ciliatus

Newly Enlightened
My girlfriend wants to pick up a new light for me for Christmas. I'm pretty torn over these two options. I currently EDC a Fenix LD01 and love it, other than the twisty factor. Anyone have both that could give some pros and cons? I know that there's no correct answer here but I'd love some educated opinions.

Thanks in advance.

Jash

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had an SC51, and while it was a nice light, it just wasn't for me. I went and picked up and LD10 and it's great. It doesn't have that perfect smooth beam of the SC51, but the tail switch is what does it for me. It's just so much better for a small light.

dam294

Newly Enlightened
I had an SC51, and while it was a nice light, it just wasn't for me. I went and picked up and LD10 and it's great. It doesn't have that perfect smooth beam of the SC51, but the tail switch is what does it for me. It's just so much better for a small light.

I agree 100%. I currently have both of these lights and while the SC51 has been reliable I can see it switching itself on easier in a pocket or purse. The tail switch on the LD10 is at least partially protected from accidental activation.

BarryH

Enlightened
I don't have an SC51 or an LD10 but do have an LD20 and really like the it so have been thinking of getting an LD10 for the same thing in a shorter form factor.
The end switch works well for me and I have the flip up/down diffuser on the end for when I want more wide and even pattern for up close lighting or reading.

Fenix has a nice gift set out now with an LD10 and an E05 which is a great little single AAA keyring light with a wide, floody lens. I use my E05 daily.

Coop57

Enlightened
I have both and I seem to reach for the SC51 more often.

Advantages of the SC51: 200 lumens vs 132
Low lumens of .2 vs 9 lumens
Quick access to 6 brightness levels vs 3 levels
Size 80mm vs 100
Better run times
Can be had in different light setups: Cool, neutral, flood
Headband

Advantages of LD10: Has a true stobe. The SC51 is more of a signaling light
SOS mode
Holster

The clip is a draw. Both about the same.

Subjective - The SC51 is more fun to play with.

Last edited:

tre

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had both. Sold the LD10.

SC51 Pros :
fantastic beam
great tint
best UI on the market
small
Amazingly efficient for great run time
my favorite pocket clip
6 brightness levels
great low modes (0.2 lumens or 2.5 lumens)
amazing output on a single AA battery

SC51 Cons:
May have to lock out the tail cap so it does not turn on in your pocket.

LD10 Pros:
Decent efficiency
great output on a 14500 (but not low mode on a 14500)

LD10 Cons:
terrible beam (usually donut hole and a pin hole in the middle - I had two and they both had this)
purple/blue tint
Does not run properly on Alkaline cells or lithium primaries (no "low" mode until the cells become run down)
9 lumens low mode is way too high - it will blind your night adapted vision (it is not 9 either, it is more like 15)
Only 132 lumens output on Turbo mode (may be ok if you don't need more)

Last edited:

yowzer

Enlightened
I too have both (Well, SC50w+). The Zebralight has the better UI (I hate having to click through a bunch of modes), and lower lows, which makes it the winner hands down. Smaller, too. The LD10 is a big light for a single AA.

Chidwack

Enlightened
I don't have the SC51 but I do have the H51. Same light except for the H51 beam goes at a 90 degree angle. Once I learned the UI and played with it for awhile, it's quite simple. This little light has become my favorite 1xAA light. I really like the solid feel of this light in my hand. Love the smooth beam.

Samy

Enlightened
I love my SC51, great little light. I use the 0.16 moonlight and 200 lumen high the most but often change into other modes regularly. The SC51's UI is one of the quickest around.

cheers

MashBill

Newly Enlightened
I have both (and many more). The LD10 is probably my least favorite light. I can't explain it, but it's so un-special, I won't even give it to a friend or family member.

aau007

Enlightened
I had both but is now left with a LD20 and SC51. Keeping the SC51 because I want my single AA to be floody and it has more lumens than the LD10. LD10 feels more solid to me, however. SC51 is lighter and shorter. I also like to be able to access all modes with one hand AND without changing grip. I use the SC51 in underhand mode with thumb on switch or pencil grip mode with index finger on switch.

If you don't like donut hole, do NOT get the LD10.

Warp

Enlightened
I am pretty fond of my SC51W. It's a great little light. It gets fantastic performance out of a regular alkaline or nimh AA. It is very small and compact, especially in length (sucker is short). The UI is pretty cool (tailcap lockout in pocket or purse...it won't accidentally activate). I love the tint on my W unit. The beam is very nice and smooth. Well made.

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have both too and while I find SC51 superior in most aspects there is one thing that I find rather annoying: the switch is not sufficiently recessed and the light comes on by itself too easily when carried in a pocket. I have always to loosen the tailcap. This is of course not applicable if you clip it somewhere.
I suppose that if you have large hands (not my case) you can find the Zebra a bit too small for a good grip while the Fenix has a very confortable size and shape.

But in case I lost both of them I would buy again only the Zebra. ;)

LED_Thrift

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have an SC51w and an L1D, and like them both. However I do like the SC51w much better. Better output, lower low, better UI [plus the fact it has no SOS & strobe is a bonus], better beam, better efficiency, smaller, and more.

Here is what I did to eliminate the accidental activation. Others have just used plastic tubing, I cut some aluminum from a ski pole. You can use hot glue [quick, easy and completely reversible] or epoxy [stronger bond, may be reversible]. If this one falls off I'll use a slightly taller ring. The picture below makes it seem more noticable than it is in real life. It really looks like part of the light in real life.

Deal4

Enlightened
Good idea using the ski pole LED Thrift!:thumbsup: May have to try it sometime, though I personally don't have a problem with just loosening the tailcap a tiny bit.
I know only owners of both lights are supposed to chime in, but I couldn't help myself.:)

I don't have the LD10, but my friend has the LD20. The LD20 is a good tough light that has served a lot of people well, but I do not like the design, the beam, or how you have to cycle through all the modes to get to your desired setting. I'm not saying that it isn't a good tough light, it's just my oppinion that the SC51 is designed quite a bit better.
At first I didn't like the look of the SC51, which is why I waited to so long to get one, but since I got mine about 8 months ago, it has become the light that I use more than twice as much as all my other lights. It is amazingly bright! There are a number of 2 AA lights that don't make 200 lumens. Last I checked the 2 AA LD20 was one of them.:whistle:
I think the quality of the SC51, the ease of use, the amazing output, and how much fun it is to play with make the SC51 a clear winner. :twothumbs
But, if you feel differently, no worries! Both are very good lights!

Ciliatus

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for all of the input, everyone. I've decided to go with the SC51. One of the things I enjoy most about "nice" LED lights is the beam. No donut holes for me. One top of that, the UI has me sold. I like being able to access any mode from the get-go. That was one of the main reasons I loved my LF2XT before its cheap-*** clip broke and was lost forever. Looking forward to Christmas! Have a great holiday season, everyone.

jak3All3n

Newly Enlightened
i have an ld10 q5, it was my edc for a couple of years and always thought it a good light, the only things i didn't like about it was the beam pattern being an xr-e was too focused, i prefer more flood indoors where i use it most, and the ui, i don't like having to click through the modes to get to the one i want.

i also have a zebralight h51 incoming, ordered it last week. i'm thinking i'll like the zebralight more hence the purchase.

pinetree89

Enlightened
I have an LD20 and an SC51w. Here's how I see the two:

LD10/20
Pros:
Lots of accessories, diffusers, traffic wands etc etc.
Cool white beam, with no hints of green blue etc. (at least on my example)
Efficient boost only circuit with good runtimes.
Good beam quality IMO.
Cons:
The threads on the tailcap seem really whimpy to me. It feels like I'm gonna strip them out when I screw on the tailcap.
Reverse clicky, I'm not really a fan
UI is acceptable, but I'm not really a fan of clicking through low and blinky modes.
Mode advancing is really slow. For some reason my example requires a really long time of off time to advance to the next mode (like 1/2 a second). This gets annoying to get to the medium mode.
Clip is less secure snap on kind.
No low-low mode. I think the lowest mode is around 8 lumens or so. Way to much for the middle of the night nature call when camping.

SC51:
Pros:
Cutting edge circuit providing 200lumens on 1AA.
Excellent UI, with quick access to all modes (except strobe)
Outstanding build quality with a potted head.
Excellent durable integrated clip attached to light with fasteners.
Electronic switch for increased service life.
Cons:
Easy activation of button in pocket

That's pretty much how I see it. The LD 10/20 series were great lights in their time a few years ago. They're still great lights and I'll never sell my LD20. It usually pulls camping duty for me with all it's accessories. But for the roughly the same price you can get so much more these days. Fenix really should drop these lights down to the sub $40 range to compete with the Jetbeam BA10/20s. I think they'd sell a whole lot more.

jak3All3n

Newly Enlightened
...Mode advancing is really slow. For some reason my example requires a really long time of off time to advance to the next mode (like 1/2 a second). This gets annoying to get to the medium mode...

i got that with a duracell primary, switching to a fully charged eneloop fixed it, maybe the duracell was weak. have you tried a different battery?

Warp

Enlightened
I am pretty fond of my SC51W. It's a great little light. It gets fantastic performance out of a regular alkaline or nimh AA. It is very small and compact, especially in length (sucker is short). The UI is pretty cool (tailcap lockout in pocket or purse...it won't accidentally activate). I love the tint on my W unit. The beam is very nice and smooth. Well made.

I forgot the mention the low-low (on par with my quark in moonlight) and the extremely wide angle of spill beam illumination as reasons I really like the SC51W. I use it every single night for navigating a dark house.