mini maglite upgrade????

sizerman

Newly Enlightened
whats the brightest drop-in that i can get for my AA mini maglite? I want it to be like WOW bright! Thanks in advance!!

Lightwriter

Newly Enlightened
I have the Nite Ize LED Upgrade II (35 lumens), the Nite Ize 1 watt Upgrade II (55 lumens), and the Terralux TLE-5EX (140 lumens) and I like the Terralux the best, though it's far less than the advertised 140 lumens so I don't think any of these three could be "WOW bright". =)

hiuintahs

Flashlight Enthusiast
whats the brightest drop-in that i can get for my AA mini maglite? I want it to be like WOW bright! Thanks in advance!!

Personally I wouldn't bother with upgrading an AA mini maglite unless you just want to do it for the fun of it. I went through that motion years ago before LED lights caught on like they are today. I bought each of my kids a mini mag with their favorite color, then A Terralux TLE-5 and then changed out the LED on it to a SSC-P4. I think I was into each light around $35. Of course that was a few years back. But if you buy an LED light that already is built for an LED, then you get a better reflector, better heat sinking, and various modes and probably a better regulated output. I know the original Terralux TLE-5 was based on Zetex driver which is fairly efficient but not as linear as most lights today. I have run-time graphs comparing it (SSC P4 modified TLE-5) with lights like the Olight T25T or iTP SA2.

Then when Maglite started puting LED's into their lights in the first place, I did some testing and wasn't too impressed and ended up selling the ones I had bought on sale at Lowes on a Black Friday a couple of years ago. So I might be somewhat negatively biased on Mag lites. I usually buy something, do some testing and comparisons and then if I don't like it, turn around and sell. It's all part of the flashaholic hobby I suppose.

Last edited:

sawlight

Enlightened
I have to agree with the above post, I've bought and tried all the led upgrades I could get years ago, I just loved the size and feel of the lights. But the modules tints were awful, the beams ringy, the outputs no where near what they advertised just really disappointing all around! Then I started buying better lights, and spending less money, being happier!
It's a nice thought, it's fun to play with them, but don't set your expectations high.

Groundhog

Newly Enlightened
I just want to do it for fun.

That was pretty much my reasoning. The MiniMag was useless to me without an upgrade and I didn't want to just ditch them or throw them in a drawer never to be used again. It might not be real cost effective but upgrading 2 of them with the TerraLux and forward clicky from Battery Junction gave me a camera bag light and a tool bag light. I've got a 2 AAA Mag for my glove box that's next.

I'll probably stop there. My 1 AAA Mag will just have to accept being an inferior light.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
with LED minimags for about $11 on sale black friday at lowes I don't see investing a lot in an incan myself.