A simple test of the Ultra Stinger "throw"

Rancher

Newly Enlightened
I received my "Ultra Stinger" Thursday the 26th and let it charge till Saturday morning the 28th it was with me till 1900hrs or 7P.M. that night......
in a back fenced wooded area with close to 0 light pollotion and the moon not up yet..I set up a 48"X 21 mirror against the fence line.. at about a 2% inclination and measured out 30ft..looking directly into the tight focused "hot-spot" will completely night blind you ..large back spots in your vision..I gave my eyes 30 minutes to regain my night vision and tried again at 50ft,,this time the "hot-spot was much smaller..with about 1/2 the effect as at 30 ft...I then went to a known 125 yard fence marker and shined the light on a 10"x8" yellow sign
(non-reflective type)at exactly that distance and using a pair of 15x70
binoculars I could easily make out it was a yellow sign with black lettering ..I know all these test were somewhat crude... sometimes the easiest way to test a light is to try and relate it to common objects..whats a lumen anyways..whats important to me is (just how much can I see and how far away can I see it)..the light has now been off the charger since Saturday morning with about 30 minutes run time.. up to this point and the "hot-spot" still looks just as bright as on night one...

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
i really like streamlight. so much infact that some have accused me of being a streamlight rep.
rolleyes.gif
grin.gif

i think my next streamlight will be the ultrastinger. i just hope flashlightlens will figure out how to machine the bezel so one of their fine ucl can be used.

txwest

Flashlight Enthusiast
Rancher,
That's pretty good reaching power considering all your distances are doubled, with the use of a mirrow. I really like my US, but I charged up my $15 Dorsey 500,00 CP spotlight last night. BOY, is it bright!!!. I wouldn't want to carry it around long, but it does have unbeliverable reach & brightness. TX

Rancher

Newly Enlightened
TX...I used the mirror only for my night blinding test at 30 and 50ft..are you saying that the "throw" on my eyes was actually like standing at 60 and 100ft...I don't understand the physics involved but a "throw" of 60 to 100ft carrying all though tightly packed lumens is nice...I like the affect.. the test at 125 yards was done by shineing the light directly on the sign without the use of a mirror..the mirror didn't seem to darken the "hot spot" at all..fact is it looked to me like a perfect reflection.

txwest

Flashlight Enthusiast
Rancher,
If you're 30' from a mirror, the reflection is also 30' "into" the mirror, giving you a 60' range. You also lose some light in the mirror itself. There is a lot of very expensive mirrors in telescopes, and they don't have 100% reflectivity (is that a word?). I'm sure the mirror you used wasn't that high of quality. So you can imagine what it would be like to look at the light directly at 30'. TX

Rancher

Newly Enlightened
TX would the "reflected light" coming at me directly off the mirror.. at just the right angle cause the reflector in my Ultra... to again reflect back to the mirror...light the mirror received first in my sending it..anyway its a real bright spot of light...I think this Ultra is a sure keeper..this light would be excellent for seaching large warehouses and etc...Neil

Latest posts