flashlight for charging lump on wrist watches

OpusX

Newly Enlightened
I'm a newbie looking for suggestions on a light to charge lume on my watches. I also like to use it to head out to the car at night and look out into the yard and look for animals. Price is no objective as I would like a very nice light. However I would like a light that I can easily carry in my jacket pocket, in other words not very large. I would also like the option of recharging batteries if possible. Right now I am using the Surefire E2D LED defender, so if I get a second light I would like it more powerful than this one.

Thanks and I am enjoying the forums here as a brand new member.

enomosiki

Flashlight Enthusiast
Luminous paint requires ultraviolet radiation to charge. This means that you will require a flashlight that emits UV, which incandescent bulbs will do just fine. But, still, it will take several minutes for the lume to charge even with a high-powered incandescent, which are inefficient when it comes to runtime, so battery-drain will be an issue.

If you are trying to go the LED route, you will need to get a light with UV LED emitter, thus requiring you to have two separate lights. I think you will be better off this way.

I carry an Arc-AAA UV on my keychain for inspections, and it works quite well. It's not much larger than a single AAA battery, so the footprint is minimal. Plus, it lasts damned-near forever on a single alkaline.

Also, E2DL is a fantastic light, and you won't find any other lights of its class with more throw, unless you opt for an aspheric. I suggest that you keep using it.

Everett

Newly Enlightened
Luminous paint requires ultraviolet radiation to charge.

That's not really true--UV will charge it quite well but blue light (which white LEDs emit a significant amount of) will also. It's essentially the same process that happens within the white LED: a short-wavelength blue stimulates the emission of other wavelengths in the phosphor. The GITD material in the watch is a phosphor as well, so the blue die in your white LED is made for this job.

Link Archer VI

Newly Enlightened
Sorry if this sounds a little obvious, but if you're already shining a light on your watch, can't you just read the time by that?

AaronG

Enlightened
Sorry if this sounds a little obvious, but if you're already shining a light on your watch, can't you just read the time by that?

Obviously your not a watch nut :D

All of my LED flashlights will charge lume just fine in a couple seconds. Just pick a stupid bright light and your all set.

If you want rechargable I would pick a single AA light and some eneloops with a charger. There's lots to choose from. I like the sunwayman V10A or some sort of zebralight. The zebralight SC51W maybe or the SC80 looks interesting.

I charge up mine with a 2 CR123 light just because it's the brightest light I have. Anything over 100 lumens OTF should be plenty though.

Fenix, Sunwayman, and Zebralight are my favorite brands

Last edited: