Do you have a ‘set’ of lights for most situations??

CrazyIvan2011

Enlightened
First of all, hello to all…this is my first post here in the forums!
I have been a long time reader, and it was in fact this forum that turned me into a man with a few flashlights…to a self denying flashaholic…to a now accepting happy collector, and im not even so sure why I enjoy it?

Any way, I do not have a great collection or anything (by standards here), but I want to complete a total 'set' of sorts for all occasions, hence the title.

At present I have an ITP A3 EOS SS for EDC (it's always clipped to my belt).

If I know I am going to be away, or in not normal surroundings I carry a Lumapower IncenDio V3U. I also carry this for camping/fishing etc as its great for close up and great flood (the diffuser is very nice to).

If camping/fishing etc, I will also carry my Nitecore D11 as a backup in my pack.

As my head torch, I have a Zebralight H51, which is really nice and floody, but I don't really like the UI to much.

I do a lot of dog walking at night, and sometimes camping far out in to no wear. So for a good thrower I have a cheap 'import', which says it is an 'unbranded' Olight warrior, looks basically like the M21. It does the job, but not fantastic at it.

So for me this is a full set of lights, one for all the situations I should need. If I go beyond this, I guess it then it becomes only justifiable as being a flashaholic and wanting new lights instead of needing them? J

So I was wondering what other people have as 'sets' of lights. I imagine people have a big collection of flashlights, but only a handful that are active and get regular use?

There is a hidden question in this post. As my first, I did not want to simply ask the usual 'what light to get'. I thought it would be interesting and more beneficial to see what others actively use in different real life situations. The particular one I am interested in is a mix of good thrower and flood, with good power and runtime. One to replace my 'unbranded' Olight warrior. Something bigger that my EDC's, but not huge, most probably a single 18650 or x2 R123, with a fairly easy UI.

I'm thinking alone the lines of a ArmyTek Predator V1.2 (although the UI seems very complex, I like the look and specs of the light). A Jetbeam PC25 XM-L or Klarus XT10 (the Klarus does seem to tick most of the boxes, not sure about the throw).

So I hope my first post is not to long winded and drawn out (had some free time at work this morning to write this, sorry) but I am always looking through the posts/reviews on here pretty much everyday…so thought it time to make a contribution my self.

Hope everyone has a good day, it's nearly the weekend!
And I look forward to some replies.

bill_n_opus

Enlightened
Nope, I use my TK70 for everything! :)

Just kidding. I usually grab whatever is handing or lying around. But I know where my tk70 and tk40 are around when I need more light.

Mtbmurf

Newly Enlightened
Welcome to cpf...
Only reason i can think we're all addicted to shiney things...lol
In edc my v10r ti everyday. Upgraded now with a trit switch and an 18650 tube. I love the runtime of the 18650. When i rcr123'd it-it went dead on me alot so i had to have a back up battery. With the adjustable lumens, it has fit all my daily needs. If im going to do something risky or need a die hard never fail light with good runtime i always grab my hds 120, with a programmed sos as a triple click loaded with a fresh primary. ( risky like mountain biking at dusk, boating near dark, hiking in the back country etc..)
I have a thrunite ti-key on my keychain- and trust me its gotten me out of a couple jams when my edc battery crapped out... Try changing a battery in pitch blackness... Thankyou keychain edc for shining light on it.
I have a catapault xml for my 'walking the dog' type adventures and just purely for when i need to shine something a quarter mile away... And its fun to wow your buddies..
I then have spark headlamps. Anyone serious about doing stuff in the dark shouldnt live without a good headlamp. My spark st6 460nw gets alot of use. And again the 18650 gives killer runtimes.
In the past 2 months ive lost power for 2 weeks-hurricane irene a noreaster Albert. Damn my lights got ALOT of use! My headlamps were a savior! I truly learned what i needed during those weeks.
I also keep a bunch of led upgraded maglights around. Durable as all get out and easy to use for everyone.

I have a bunch of other lights, just sold off alot i didnt use. I also suggest a shiningbeam s-mini for edc. Smallest 18650 light around and can run on 2 primaries if need be, and a killer bargain. I also like a quark 123-2 tactical. I gave one to my brother in law and he never leaves home without it. He abuses the crap out of it and it never stops...

cummins4x4

Enlightened
ITP A3 EOS SS for EDC always on my truck key, a few xxxfire 250 lumen running 18650's, Olight SR51 is my main goto and a magcharger is the nightstand torch. And a few of those tiny keychain lights located in various places just in case. Still need a Spark and a DEFT is on the buy soon list.

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have an ITP A3 EOS on my keychain, but I never use it. It's a backup light if I need it to be, but mostly it's there so that I can loan it when someone asks me to borrow a flashlight.

99% of my EDC flashlight needs are met by my high-CRI HDS Clicky. No light pleases me more to use than this light.

I do occasionally EDC other lights, usually in addition to the 2 above: high CRI Preon, high CRI QTC Eiger, Neutral Quark AA, Neutral L-mini II. The rest of my lights are car lights and house lights.

--flatline

fishx65

Enlightened
I've settled on two lights for my camping, fishing and bowhunting adventures. SS aaa Maratac handles my headlamp duties and a Solarforce with the 3 mode Manafont XML does everything else. The Manafont is an awesome combination of throw and spill. I also carry an extra battery for each. The only time I go for other lights is when I may be on a really long tracking job and need extra long runtimes.

enomosiki

Flashlight Enthusiast
Arc-AAA UV for inspections and shenanigans.

Ultrafire A3 3-mode for indoors.

Surefire L1 modded by Milky for when SHTF.

ThruNite TN11 for outdoors and the "let me show you what a real flashlight can do..."

I never leave the house without them.

davidt1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Zebralight H51w: flashlight, headlamp, necklight, desk lamp, and utility light

Maratac AAA: backup/loaner light

Carried and used right from the chest, this light makes my other lights irrelevant.
IMG_8378.jpg

Echo63

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a pretty good setup with my lights
TI Aeon as a long runtime, always on me EDC/emergency light
Novatac 120p as a general EDC
9P with 18500 and moddoo triple as a 1000 lumen flood/work/tactical light

If my edc lights dont cover what i need them too i have a M4 and M6 with lumensfactory bulbs and a LF P7 head which i can swap around to maximise runtime.

If i really need throw - then out comes the maxabeam :)
I have been on the recieving end of the strobe at 150m and it is very bright and disorienting

I am hopefully going to get a SWM v10r TI to replace the novatac soon, and i do need a headlamp, im waiting for the saint minimus vision to be releases

gcbryan

Flashlight Enthusiast
ITP A3 worn necklace style after dark and tucked under my shirt as a backup. Plastic button style keychain light is always with me. Zebralight H51f is my main headlamp. A have a couple of single AA lights and a P60 XP-G. I have an aspheric thrower.

The only thing I'd like to change is for the aspheric thrower (which I modded) to be able to rest on it's head and I'd like a 18650 P60 size light with a side switch instead of tail switch. That's all I actually have a use for.

mvyrmnd

Flashlight Enthusiast
My "set" is now complete, and exclusively High CRI :D

IMG_0061.JPG

IMG_0066.JPG

My Four High CRI lights:
Mac's 3300L w/ downloads SS bezel using 1550mA drivers (2x32650)
Solarforce L2P w/S9 tailcap with a Kerberos Triple dropin (1x18650)
Quark AA Ti Regular (1x14500) modded by asheep
Quark Preon (1xAAA)

Samy

Enlightened
I keep a TK41 by the back door which leads out to the raised back deck with a view to my wide open backyard. A long distance light is required here and the TK41 does a great job of this, but my back yard goes further than the TK41 can reach. Might have to get a TK70 ;)

I keep a Quark Neutral 2xAA Tactical by the front door. This is a good floody light for a more close illumination requirement. I keep the tact mode on highest and a medium mode. This is capable of lighting my frontyard and up and down the street. I can blast anyone with high lumens and is fairly inconspicuous.

I keep a Zebralight SC51 on my bedside table for use inside the house due to its small size and small outputs.

I keep various lights in the cars and on my person at work. I like my lights to be a little more concealed.

When camping, I don't need many flashlights as I hav a good camper trailer setup with LED strip lighting and 12 volt battery power. I usually take a small light to keep on me, like my SC51 and I take the TK41 for some power. I usually keep a quark or something simple around the campsite for family/friends to borrow.

I plan on buying a Zebralight headlight at the same time when the q50 FINALLY gets released. I will use the headlight for camping and for hands free stuff around home (like in the attic) and I will use the Q50 as my new front door light... As long as my wife can overcome the Zebralight UI.

All my lights get used or are hidden somewhere with fresh Eneloops waiting for action.

Cheers

CrazyIvan2011

Enlightened
Wow...I like the high CRI collection there!

I had thought of a Ra Clicky EDC R1B 200, but man are the expensive. I think people are right though, must just be attracted to shinny things. I would like the Ra Clicky, and would get one....but I dont think the output or runtimes would give me any benifit over my Incendio V3U (which I bought only a couple of weeks ago).

I no I will get one at some point, for sheer want of it! But for now, I am really fancing a single 18650 as my main out door light. Im leaning more towards the Klarus XT10, but I still like the look/features and sheer durability (well looks to be) of the ArmyTek Predator V1.2.

What do people think? Seems that more people use a smaller CR123 type light as a main use or most use light?

And thanks for the welcome! :welcome:

AZPops

Flashlight Enthusiast
TN11 in it's holster on my belt.

HDS T170 also in it's holster on my belt.

i2 EOS on my key ring.

V10R clipped on my front pocket. However, as soon as my HDS Rotary arrives from a land called ENGLAND, it'll more then likely have a long rest! As well as the HDS T170.

Still need to rig the holster for the M3X to the roll bar in the Jeep.

bugs-bunny-forever11ThatsAllFolks.jpg

CrazyIvan2011

Enlightened
How much did your HDS Rotary cost from over 'my neck of the woods'? It seems to be fairly pricey over here.
But I really would like one, the rotary action looks very easy and effective to use as an edc, and although a bit bigger, looks like it would be very nice in the hand.

Still at the moment, think my price range is still nearer to the XT10. I would have to buy some 18650's and charger though, as I only have a bunch of AW R123's and charger at present. This bumps the price up a bit...closer to the HDS. What do people think? I know people rave about the clicky's, but think I would like the rotary interface better.

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interesting question. I found CPF a little over 2 1/2 years ago and the obsession, er, hobby has stayed remained strong with me throughout. TENS OF THOUSANDS OF $$ worth of lights have passed through my hands, but it seems that the collection has now refined down to the point of the group that I use.

Fenix E01 on the keyring. Sure, it's not sexy - it's cheap, not the brightest thing in the world - beam is angry blue (on most) until you steel wool treat it, but for $13-14 bucks, it's awesome. Can't kill it - many have tried. Runs and runs off a cheap AAA battery.

Zebralight H51W for chores where a headlight is needed. Cheap, bright, and I DO like the interface. Will be using mine today (off today) to replace a couple of light switches in the house (perfect when the power is off and I need lighting) as well as while I am installing a home made LED under cabinet light bar.

McGizmo High CRI Haiku. Although there are others, this one gets the most pocket carry time. WHAT?! $450 for a 90 lumen light!!? mvyrmnd understands, as do many others - high CRI is great, and to me, this one has a complete lack of tint and allows natural colors to come through. I love it. Plenty of light for normal tasks

McGizmo 6V Haiku XML and 6V Makai XML - EVERY morning and night when I walk my dogs these two lights are my chosen tools. Haiku for a beautiful floody beam to light the way (one of my dogs is 15 and she doesn't see so well any more - the light really helps her.) Makai to light up things far away that go "bump". Sure, there are brighter, cheaper choices, but I love my McGizmos - bulletproof and plenty bright.

I have other lights available, but this "set" is what gets used the most. Thanks for the question - it prompted me to think through it, and this is indeed my 'set.'

RinniSi

Newly Enlightened
Between the Fenix TK35 and PD30, most of my lighting needs are covered. I only take out the TK35 if I know I will be going out late at night and might require more light. The PD30 is a small, light and bright flashlight. I may upgrade to the PD32 in the next little while.

In the off chance I need to do search and rescue, I leave an Olight M3x in the car. The Olight is a little too big to carry around all the time.

R