Jetbeam        
Page 134 of 135 FirstFirst ... 3484124127128129130131132133134135 LastLast
Results 3,991 to 4,020 of 4028

Thread: Elzetta- The industry's best kept secret.

  1. #3991

    Default Re: Elzetta- The industry's best kept secret.

    Quote Originally Posted by adamlau View Post
    JETBeam clearly manufactures the G-Line on behalf of Elzetta.
    Where did you find this information?

    Elzetta has never had such a design, even Alpha has a "bulletproof" look/design, but G-Line looks exactly like a copy of Jetbeam.

    Made in the USA no longer on the G-Line body?
    Last edited by Beard Man; 02-25-2021 at 12:59 PM.

  2. #3992
    *Flashaholic* thermal guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    ny
    Posts
    7,466

    Default Re: Elzetta- The industry's best kept secret.

    I’m sure the G-line are nice lights but they just don’t do it for me. Elzetta has or had a very distinct design/look to them. They shouted toughness! Not getting it with this line. Granted they are not geared towards high speed low drag stuff but would of loved to of seen a downsized bravo for this role.
    If i had one day left to live i would want to be at my workplace.Because every day is like a frickin eternity.

  3. #3993
    Flashaholic* neutralwhite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Monaco.
    Posts
    2,966

    Default Re: Elzetta- The industry's best kept secret.

    me too. not bad, but surprised to see Elzetta go this way. they screamed American made once!.

    Quote Originally Posted by thermal guy View Post
    I’m sure the G-line are nice lights but they just don’t do it for me. Elzetta has or had a very distinct design/look to them. They shouted toughness! Not getting it with this line. Granted they are not geared towards high speed low drag stuff but would of loved to of seen a downsized bravo for this role.
    Malkoff Junkie

  4. #3994
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Lucerne, Switzerland
    Posts
    1,065

    Default Re: Elzetta- The industry's best kept secret.

    me too. not bad, but surprised to see Elzetta go this way. they screamed American made once!.
    Dave Barnett should do a video blog post and tell us.

    In one of his videos Dave Barnett says he carried a 3-cell C133 for several years as an EDC. That's quite a big light for EDC...

  5. #3995
    Flashaholic* neutralwhite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Monaco.
    Posts
    2,966

    Default Re: Elzetta- The industry's best kept secret.

    I believe Dave is no longer with Elzetta.

    Quote Originally Posted by Fuchshp View Post
    Dave Barnett should do a video blog post and tell us.

    In one of his videos Dave Barnett says he carried a 3-cell C133 for several years as an EDC. That's quite a big light for EDC...
    Malkoff Junkie

  6. #3996
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    AL
    Posts
    1,851

    Default Re: Elzetta- The industry's best kept secret.

    No worries, the G line may have mineral glass and no potting, but it has type III ano, and is therefore just as tough as the Z line. It does not sacrifice quality, durability, or reliability compared to other Elzetta products, and provides the same security and peace of mind.

    Do they even realize what they're saying?

  7. #3997
    *Flashaholic* thermal guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    ny
    Posts
    7,466

    Default Re: Elzetta- The industry's best kept secret.

    Lol. I didn’t see that. Do they really say that about G line?
    If i had one day left to live i would want to be at my workplace.Because every day is like a frickin eternity.

  8. #3998
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    AL
    Posts
    1,851

    Default Re: Elzetta- The industry's best kept secret.

    Yep. I was looking at the 1x123 model earlier. That's a compilation from the heading, description, and specs, but that's exactly what they say.
    Just more marketing BS from the same people who brought you the tactically silent switch, so noone will know you're there when you fire up your 1350 lumen personal locator beacon

  9. #3999
    *Flashaholic* thermal guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    ny
    Posts
    7,466

    Default Re: Elzetta- The industry's best kept secret.

    Lmao!! I have said that about silent switches for years. I really don’t get the idea behind them.
    If i had one day left to live i would want to be at my workplace.Because every day is like a frickin eternity.

  10. #4000

    Default Re: Elzetta- The industry's best kept secret.

    I suppose Elzetta is setting around biting their nails hoping those folks at CPF approve……Maglite and SureFire too. (as PK yawns)
    John 3:16

  11. #4001
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    AL
    Posts
    1,851

    Default Re: Elzetta- The industry's best kept secret.

    Quote Originally Posted by thermal guy View Post
    Lmao!! I have said that about silent switches for years. I really don’t get the idea behind them.
    Who knows, they may have just happened to have used a clicky that was quiet, and added the rest.
    Like how you can screw down a twisty head or tailcap 'til it's almost on, and then activate it by pushing on the tailcap body, or pulling on the head. I watched a video about their different tailcaps a while back, and they demonstrated doing it, but called it "adjustable sensitivity", as if it were intentional.
    Bomber lights are right up my alley, and I like that beam, but that kinda stuff is just hard for me to stomach.

    Maybe they'll get some neutral emitters before releasing the Bones. Doesn't hurt to hope. I used a Lee filter on a M61HOT that made it more "neutralish", and could do that with an Elzetta, but it's not the same.

    I actually poked around about an Elzetta/Malkoff collaboration(thought an AVS head with hi/lo switch that could use MD2/3/4 bodies would be really cool), but got shot down. Oh, well. Didn't cost anything to ask.

  12. #4002
    Flashaholic
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ USA
    Posts
    102

    Default Re: Elzetta- The industry's best kept secret.

    Quote Originally Posted by Owen View Post
    No worries, the G line may have mineral glass and no potting, but it has type III ano, and is therefore just as tough as the Z line. It does not sacrifice quality, durability, or reliability compared to other Elzetta products, and provides the same security and peace of mind.

    Do they even realize what they're saying?
    I could take that two ways. Would that imply that the Gs are more reliable than you think, or that the existing line isn't as reliable as most think?:-)
    (yes, I'm joking folks)

  13. #4003
    *Flashaholic* thermal guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    ny
    Posts
    7,466

    Default Re: Elzetta- The industry's best kept secret.

    Ya you get yourself a older head fitted with a old school Malkoff M60 and you pretty much have a light that’s about as reliable and tough as they come.
    If i had one day left to live i would want to be at my workplace.Because every day is like a frickin eternity.

  14. #4004
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Lucerne, Switzerland
    Posts
    1,065

    Default Re: Elzetta- The industry's best kept secret.

    Ya you get yourself a older head fitted with a old school Malkoff M60 and you pretty much have a light that’s about as reliable and tough as they come.
    ZFL-M60 is more reliable than AVS? I wanted to buy a C133 to complement the Alpha, to keep it in the glove compartment.

  15. #4005
    *Flashaholic* thermal guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    ny
    Posts
    7,466

    Default Re: Elzetta- The industry's best kept secret.

    I wouldn’t say more reliable as I would say tougher. Looking at the AVS head the bezel and walls themselves are pretty thin compared to the old school ZLF setup. You would have to really beat the AVS head to get it to totally fail but IMO it’s not even close in strength as the ZLF.
    If i had one day left to live i would want to be at my workplace.Because every day is like a frickin eternity.

  16. #4006

    Default Re: Elzetta- The industry's best kept secret.

    Which model was it that Jeff Gordon looking character dropped from a helicopter and "oops missed the concrete" so they dropped it again onto a concrete slab?
    I think they were wild bore hunting and decided to torture test it if I recall correct.
    John 3:16

  17. #4007
    *Flashaholic* thermal guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    ny
    Posts
    7,466

    Default Re: Elzetta- The industry's best kept secret.

    That was a cool test. Remember the one they pounded like 50 nails into a 2X4 with one?
    If i had one day left to live i would want to be at my workplace.Because every day is like a frickin eternity.

  18. #4008
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Lucerne, Switzerland
    Posts
    1,065

    Default Re: Elzetta- The industry's best kept secret.

    I wouldn’t say more reliable as I would say tougher. Looking at the AVS head the bezel and walls themselves are pretty thin compared to the old school ZLF setup. You would have to really beat the AVS head to get it to totally fail but IMO it’s not even close in strength as the ZLF.
    Good you said that. After I read your comment I went looking for a ZLF.
    Less than an hour ago I found an Elzetta ZLF-M60 on a Swiss auction site and bought it for ~$80.

    Last edited by Fuchshp; 02-27-2021 at 03:37 PM.

  19. #4009
    Flashaholic
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Location
    USA RVA
    Posts
    428

    Default Re: Elzetta- The industry's best kept secret.

    sounds like a good deal... which model?

    Quote Originally Posted by Fuchshp View Post
    Good you said that. After I read your comment I went looking for a ZLF.
    Less than an hour ago I found an Elzetta ZLF-M60 on a Swiss auction site and bought it for ~$80.

  20. #4010
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Lucerne, Switzerland
    Posts
    1,065

    Default Complete Alpha, Bravo, Charlie...

    2 cell, high/strobe, crenelated bezel. The drop-in seems to be M60 with 225 lumen. And clip and 16650 battery.

    I already have the Alpha A113 with additional flood lens. And I think I'm going to buy a Charlie C133 too. Actually, with only these 7 additional parts I'd have all Alpha, Bravo, Charlie models.


    1. Alpha Crenellated Bezel Ring
    2. Charlie Body
    3. AVS Head with Standard Bezel Ring & Standard Lens
    4. AVS Flood Lens
    5. Crenellated AVS Bezel Ring
    6. High-Low Tailcap
    7. Rotary Tailcap


    I don't see any benefit in the "Click Tailcap" if you already have both high/low tailcaps. And I don't need a tape switch. I don't need lights on my two old hunting rifles, never used them even once in the last 20 years...

    With only 17 parts you can build the complete Elzetta Alpha, Bravo and Charlie lineup.
    Last edited by Fuchshp; 02-27-2021 at 04:05 PM.

  21. #4011
    Flashaholic
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Location
    USA RVA
    Posts
    428

    Default Re: Elzetta- The industry's best kept secret.

    Very Nice!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Fuchshp View Post
    2 cell, high/strobe, crenelated bezel. The drop-in seems to be M60 with 225 lumen. And clip and 16650 battery.

  22. #4012
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Lucerne, Switzerland
    Posts
    1,065

    Default Re: Elzetta- The industry's best kept secret.

    Yes, very happy :-)

  23. #4013
    Rob Babcock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Big Sky Country
    Posts
    757

    Default Re: Elzetta- The industry's best kept secret.

    I have a ZLF set up with an M61N and a Ti clip for EDC. I don't carry it as much as I once did as I use a lego Malkoff MDC most of the time but occasionally I still swap it into the rotation.

  24. #4014
    Flashaholic* neutralwhite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Monaco.
    Posts
    2,966

    Default Re: Elzetta- The industry's best kept secret.

    Sound seems like an odd topic to cover in a blog dedicated to tactical lighting. Nonetheless, sound, or the lack thereof, is an important factor in choosing the best flashlight or any other tactical tool. Tactical missions, by their very nature, often demand covert operation. Escape/evasion scenarios are obvious examples where one must work without generating excess sound. Noise created by any means can jeopardize stealth and put such undertakings at risk. It is important, therefore, that all equipment function silently.
    Most manufacturers of tactical equipment recognize this need and make efforts to minimize sound levels of their products. Unfortunately, such considerations are largely ignored by makers of tactical flashlights today. Many of the most popular flashlights on the market have switches that make relatively loud clicks when depressed (hence the common name “click switch”). While Elzetta has adopted the common terminology, we have designed our “Click” switches to operate nearly silently. This allows users to operate Elzetta Modular Flashlights without being heard by people nearby. Some have posited that loud switches are actually beneficial in providing audible feedback that the switch has latched. The problem with this idea is that not only must tactical flashlights be properly designed for extremely quiet missions, they must also function equally well in extraordinarily loud environments. Relying on the audible feedback from a small switch will be futile in the midst of gunfire and chaos. True reliable feedback must come from good tactile feel, not that which is heard by the ear.
    Another source of sound from LED flashlights originates in the circuit boards. While such sound is generally not as loud as a clunky switch, it is often constant when the flashlight is operating. Electrical noise is usually a constant annoying tone. It may be soft enough to require holding the device near one’s ear to hear it. Just because the sound is small, however, does not mean that it is a small problem. Noise emitted by electrical devices generally indicates poor system design and/or poor quality components. When evaluating an LED flashlight, if any discernable noise can be heard, it is advisable to select another model.
    Elite military units and Special Forces teams are often referred to as “Quiet Professionals”. Such a title should not be ruined by noisy gear. Quality tactical flashlights should operate as quietly as the professionals who use them. Light is to be seen, not heard.





    Quote Originally Posted by thermal guy View Post
    Lmao!! I have said that about silent switches for years. I really don’t get the idea behind them.
    Malkoff Junkie

  25. #4015
    *Flashaholic* thermal guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    ny
    Posts
    7,466

    Default Re: Elzetta- The industry's best kept secret.

    Ya I get all that but is the point of a silent switch so you do not give your position away? If it’s night and kinda figure it would be as your using a flashlight would not the light itself give you away? Or am I missing something.
    If i had one day left to live i would want to be at my workplace.Because every day is like a frickin eternity.

  26. #4016

    Default Re: Elzetta- The industry's best kept secret.

    If you are reading a map under a raincoat (or other covering to block light from escaping) while the enemy is near the click can give away your position.
    It's why the signaler sliding switch was used on TL122 lights as early as WW2.
    John 3:16

  27. #4017
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Lucerne, Switzerland
    Posts
    1,065

    Default Re: Elzetta- The industry's best kept secret.

    It's a pitty that almost all pictures in this thread are gone. This thread really needs more pictures!

  28. #4018
    Flashaholic
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ USA
    Posts
    102

    Default Re: Elzetta- The industry's best kept secret.

    Quote Originally Posted by neutralwhite View Post
    Sound seems like an odd topic to cover in a blog dedicated to tactical lighting. Nonetheless, sound, or the lack thereof, is an important factor in choosing the best flashlight or any other tactical tool. Tactical missions, by their very nature, often demand covert operation. Escape/evasion scenarios are obvious examples where one must work without generating excess sound. Noise created by any means can jeopardize stealth and put such undertakings at risk. It is important, therefore, that all equipment function silently.
    Most manufacturers of tactical equipment recognize this need and make efforts to minimize sound levels of their products. Unfortunately, such considerations are largely ignored by makers of tactical flashlights today. Many of the most popular flashlights on the market have switches that make relatively loud clicks when depressed (hence the common name “click switch”). While Elzetta has adopted the common terminology, we have designed our “Click” switches to operate nearly silently. This allows users to operate Elzetta Modular Flashlights without being heard by people nearby. Some have posited that loud switches are actually beneficial in providing audible feedback that the switch has latched. The problem with this idea is that not only must tactical flashlights be properly designed for extremely quiet missions, they must also function equally well in extraordinarily loud environments. Relying on the audible feedback from a small switch will be futile in the midst of gunfire and chaos. True reliable feedback must come from good tactile feel, not that which is heard by the ear.
    Another source of sound from LED flashlights originates in the circuit boards. While such sound is generally not as loud as a clunky switch, it is often constant when the flashlight is operating. Electrical noise is usually a constant annoying tone. It may be soft enough to require holding the device near one’s ear to hear it. Just because the sound is small, however, does not mean that it is a small problem. Noise emitted by electrical devices generally indicates poor system design and/or poor quality components. When evaluating an LED flashlight, if any discernable noise can be heard, it is advisable to select another model.
    Elite military units and Special Forces teams are often referred to as “Quiet Professionals”. Such a title should not be ruined by noisy gear. Quality tactical flashlights should operate as quietly as the professionals who use them. Light is to be seen, not heard.




    Well explained. And yes, one can be completely out of sight in all respects (flashlight included), but still be heard. Yes, most of my lights have switches that are anything but silent (using 'maintained-on'), but most that I'm aware of that are silent are unacceptable for other reasons. That said, some are noisier than others. This is another case where 'momentary-on' (generally silent) is preferable to 'maintained-on' when possible, and but one of a number of reasons why 'momentary-on' feature is an absolute requirement.
    Last edited by aznsx; 02-28-2021 at 10:01 PM.

  29. #4019
    Flashaholic* neutralwhite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Monaco.
    Posts
    2,966

    Default Re: Elzetta- The industry's best kept secret.

    bones is back in stock with new photos coming
    Malkoff Junkie

  30. #4020
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Lucerne, Switzerland
    Posts
    1,065

    Default Re: Elzetta- The industry's best kept secret.

    Alpha and Charlie arrived.

    Alpha
    The flood lens is really, really good for indoor use. Nice neutral tint.
    I took the Alpha under water for a short time. It didn't fail, but later I found water behind the lens. Maybe this is to do with all the lens changing and experimenting when it first arrived.

    Charlie
    I like the size of the 3-cell Charlie, very comfortable to hold. It feels smaller than expected (I've never had a 3-cell light).
    Tint is not really neutral, it's more on the cool side.

    Sound
    While the high/low switch of my Charlie is really, really quiet the high/low switch of my Alpha is almost as noisy as other clickies.
    Last edited by Fuchshp; 03-13-2021 at 01:10 AM.

Page 134 of 135 FirstFirst ... 3484124127128129130131132133134135 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •