Jetbeam Questions

SpydieGuy2

Newly Enlightened
I'm thinking about buying myself a new Jetbeam RRT-21 with the XML LED and was just wondering if there were any know problems with Jetbeam flashlights or the company itself? I'm purchasing the light because my Fenix LD20 is good for indoor and some close range outdoor use, but I really need something with a bit more throw and a wider beam, so after some research I came across Jetbeam and their RRT-21. From what I've read the RRT-21 would serve my purposes almost perfectly, but if you guys can recommend another Jetbeam or even another light then by all means do.

FlashKat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Jetbeam is a good brand. I own the Jetbeam III M XML, and it has been a great light with a bright spot and good spill. The throw with XML lights are not as good as the XPG R5, but comes close.

Enlightened
Well if you are going for JB do check out the RRT-2. I have been using it myself as well as my FIL's staff have been using it outdoors in a pretty harsh manner like 2 months now? It's not continuously variable, but still has the ring UI. It's quite a bit heavier than the RRT-21.

peterharvey73

Flashlight Enthusiast
Jetbeam's are pretty good.
Apart from the RRT-21 XM-L with 34mm bezel @ a conservative 460 lumens and a shortish 155 meter of throw, you could also try these other 1x18650's with pure throw or balanced flood-throw:
1) An end of model run-out RRT-2 XP-G R5 with only 300 lumens output, but roughly 190 meters of throw.
2) RRT-2 XM-L, does not have continuously variable adjustment, but rather has standby, then the silly strobe placed in between, then low, medium, and high; the beam is exactly the same as the RRT-21.
3) Sunwayman V20C for micro-amperage standby, continuously variable adjustment, and similar beam performance to RRT-21.
4) Jetbeam PC25 is the budget line up, with only two modes, low and high, but ironically, it has a pure copper heatsink, and is driven to a maximum of some 650 lumens for a slightly longer throw of 189 meters.
5) Thrunite TN12 with 35mm bezel diameter & driven hard to 750 odd lumens for 230 meters of throw.
6) Thrunite TN11 with bigger 41mm bezel diameter & driven hard to 750 lumens OTF for 271 meters of throw.
The budget PC25 and the Thrunites have head twist for adjustment...

Last edited:

SpydieGuy2

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the replies so far guys! I think I'm liking the JB RRT-2, but need to take a look at the Thrunites first. Keep the recommendations coming!!!!

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

SpydieGuy2

Newly Enlightened
Jetbeam's are pretty good.
Apart from the RRT-21 XM-L with 34mm bezel @ a conservative 460 lumens and a shortish 155 meter of throw, you could also try these other 1x18650's with pure throw or balanced flood-throw:
1) An end of model run-out RRT-2 XP-G R5 with only 300 lumens output, but roughly 190 meters of throw.
2) RRT-2 XM-L, does not have continuously variable adjustment, but rather has standby, then the silly strobe placed in between, then low, medium, and high; the beam is exactly the same as the RRT-21.
3) Sunwayman V20C for micro-amperage standby, continuously variable adjustment, and similar beam performance to RRT-21.
4) Jetbeam PC25 is the budget line up, with only two modes, low and high, but ironically, it has a pure copper heatsink, and is driven to a maximum of some 650 lumens for a slightly longer throw of 189 meters.
5) Thrunite TN12 with 35mm bezel diameter & driven hard to 750 odd lumens for 230 meters of throw.
6) Thrunite TN11 with bigger 41mm bezel diameter & driven hard to 750 lumens OTF for 271 meters of throw.
The budget PC25 and the Thrunites have head twist for adjustment...

I took a look at Thrunite flashligts and came across the Scorpion. I've heard of the light, but haven't researched it at all. How is it?

peterharvey73

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Scorpion is a great performer, but bit plain, and personally not keen on two-handed head twists.
The TN12 & slightly bigger 11 is the new model, and has better looks & slightly better features...

SpydieGuy2

Newly Enlightened
The Scorpion is a great performer, but bit plain, and personally not keen on two-handed head twists.
The TN12 & slightly bigger 11 is the new model, and has better looks & slightly better features...

I like the TN11 best, but am having touble finding any place that sells it. Is the light that new to where retailers don't have them in stock yet?

peterharvey73

Flashlight Enthusiast
The RRT-2 in either old XP-G R5 for 300 lumens & 190 meters of throw, or the newer XM-L version for 460 lumens & 155 meters of throw - both are good looking, with nice magnetic ring user interface, however neither throw very far.

TN10 has 34mm bezel like RRT's.
TN11 has 41mm big bezel!
TN's throws 230 to 270+ meters!
Coz their XM-L driven much harder, with copper heat sink for cooling.
However, TN's may look bit plainer, and have inconvenient two-handed head twist.

Only you can decide. TN does have the edge.
Nb, TN in XM-L T6 more powerful than TN in XM-L T5...

SpydieGuy2

Newly Enlightened
The RRT-2 in either old XP-G R5 for 300 lumens & 190 meters of throw, or the newer XM-L version for 460 lumens & 155 meters of throw - both are good looking, with nice magnetic ring user interface, however neither throw very far.

TN10 has 34mm bezel like RRT's.
TN11 has 41mm big bezel!
TN's throws 230 to 270+ meters!
Coz their XM-L driven much harder, with copper heat sink for cooling.
However, TN's may look bit plainer, and have inconvenient two-handed head twist.

Only you can decide. TN does have the edge.
Nb, TN in XM-L T6 more powerful than TN in XM-L T5...

Thank for all the help! I guess I'll have to research them both some more and see which I like better. Just one more question. My current primary flashligh is a Fenix LD20 which I'm sure you know all about. Considering the RRT-2 is supposed to have less throw out of the lights I'm looking to buy, would I still see a significant increase in throw compared to my LD20?

peterharvey73

Flashlight Enthusiast
Your old LD20 XP-G R5 is only 2xAA's, only 180 lumens, and only some 110 meters of throw, handicapped by a thin 21.5mm bezel diameter.
The RRT-2 in new XM-L has 460 lumens of flood, and 155 meters of throw.
The RRT-2 in old run out XP-G R5 has 300 lumens of flood, and some 190 meters of throw!
The Thrunites are generally much better performance, coz driven harder, thanks to copper cooling...

SpydieGuy2

Newly Enlightened
Your old LD20 XP-G R5 is only 2xAA's, only 180 lumens, and only some 110 meters of throw, handicapped by a thin 21.5mm bezel diameter.
The RRT-2 in new XM-L has 460 lumens of flood, and 155 meters of throw.
The RRT-2 in old run out XP-G R5 has 300 lumens of flood, and some 190 meters of throw!
The Thrunites are generally much better performance, coz driven harder, thanks to copper cooling...

Hmm, guess I could have figured that out myself with the info you supplied me earlier. Anyways, thanks for all of the fast replies and great info! You have helped me out greatly in my search for a new flashlight.

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm thinking about buying myself a new Jetbeam RRT-21 with the XML LED and was just wondering if there were any know problems with Jetbeam flashlights or the company itself? ...

I had a problem with a Jetbeam BK135 I purchased. After 5 minutes on high, the light fried itself and from then on the LED would barely glow. I returned it to the vendor for service. The vendor sent it to Jetbeam USA who then shipped it to China.

3 months later I finally got the light back. It worked... but unfortunately it now sucked. The BK135 was nice because it came with Jetbeam's programmable IBS which let you set the modes. What I got back was a light with the driver from a PA01... 4 fixed modes with a strobe. No programmability. Very lame.

On the upside, the vendor I purchased it from, True North Knives, was great. When it was determined that what I got back wasn't what I paid for and Jetbeam wasn't able to repair it to like new condition, True North Knives refunded my purchase price, so I effectively got the light for free.

The BK135 has a pretty camo color scheme and a nice small size. However, it's rather dim and due to concerns over how the original one failed I'd never run it for more than a couple minutes at a time even on medium brightness much less high. I don't consider it suitable for EDC.

On the other hand, I do also have a Jetbeam PA01 that works fine. However, its greenish tint is much less attractive than the BK135's pure-white tint.