Malkoff M61WL Color Comparison?

lithium

Newly Enlightened
Does anyone know of beam-shots comparing the 4000K and 3700K Malkoff M61WL (or the higher or lower output version)? I spent an hour combing through the extensive Malkoff posts, but could not find one.

If no beam-shots exist, a recommendation between the two would be appreciated. I have been using a G2 with a P60 to illuminate statues, landmarks and the like on nighttime tours of historic sites that I give. These places have very little ambient light. All of the LED lights I've tried have had a very blue tint. Everyone in the tour group agrees that these "cool" tint lights are very harsh and don't show detail very well. The P60 does a much better job in these respects, but is not at all ideal. Other than the very poor battery life, I would like something a little less yellow and with a smoother transition between spot and spill. I don't need more than about 100 feet of effective throw. On a personal note, I can't stand an LED that shows even a trace of green tint. I have a very nice first generation L4 with a slightly warm tint that would be almost perfect if it had the throw and didn't eat batteries (and roast my hand).

I don't imagine there will be much of a difference, but if anyone thinks the 4000K version would be worth trying to find, I'll look into it. Thanks!

Last edited:

jimmy1970

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can't vouch for the M61WL but the current crop of 3700K M61Ws are a very nice, very warm tint drop in. They are very consistent with tint too. After looking at 4 different drop ins, they all look identical.

The tint is almost comparible with your P60. Not quite as yellow with a whiter hotspot, nice round hotspot (not oval), and a much smoother hotspot to spill transition. Good runtime too!!!

The old M61Ws look 'neutral' in comparison - still a nice tint somewhere between the newer M61Ws and the regular M61s.

I EDC my trusty 6P/3700K M61W 200 lumen combo everyday!!

James...:thumbsup:

Last edited:

GeoBruin

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the warmer m61w and the "neutral" m31w.

I had the warmer drop on first and I loved it. When I got the other, I thought it was relatively too cool. After using it a while though, and then switching back to the m61w, I found it to be to yellow/pink.

In the end, I discovered that it just depends what you're used to. Now, switching back to anything that is actually cool is completely unacceptable and I sold all my cool lights.

If I had to speak objectively, I would say that the warmer color temp does render colors better, but that the more neutral tint does appear ever so slightly brighter.

If i had to pick one to keep as my only light, I would take the warmer one. In fact, I'm gearing up to buy a m91w and I'm looking for the newer/warmer one.

Cheers!

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

lithium

Newly Enlightened
Thanks, James, for the reply! If I had a 6P or other metal host, I would consider the M61W. Unfortunately, my G2 is my only choice right right now and I need to run it for over ten minutes at a time. I would also like the longer run-time of the M61WL.

Perhaps things have changed over the years that I've not kept up with the new LEDs, but it used to be that under-driven white LEDs showed a pronounced color shift, often for the worse. This make me worry that the 3700K version of the M61WL may be too warm and the 4000K version may look green or otherwise undesirable.

I've noticed that the "standard" M61 and M61L often show a good bit of green on my monitor. I am wondering if this represents real life or is just an artifact of the camera and/or my monitor.

Years ago, I would have just bought one of each and a host to go with them, but with the economy... Perhaps someone would like to trade - I imagine there are still some people that would like some "antiques" like an Arc 4, 'AA', assorted color 'AAA's and others.

thaugen

Enlightened
I would recommend the Malkoff M61LHCRI. Amazing color rendition, not pink like the M61W and it runs for a long time without getting too warm.

lithium

Newly Enlightened
Thanks, GeoBruin, for the reply. From what you say, IF it also applies to the "L" version, I would be happier with the warmer tint. I happen to really like that slight yellow/pink tint! (As a note, this is the color of the "white lead" paint that is still used by many artists because it is thought to be the most desirable of the "white" tints and impossible to duplicate with less "toxic" pigments.)

lithium

Newly Enlightened
Thanks, thaugen - I didn't know about the M61LHCRI! It sounds very interesting. With a 3000K tint, I just hope it's not too yellow. I'd rather have a touch of pink than a really yellow, incandescent-like color, high CRI or not.