Olight M20 Help

crazigee

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

Last year I bought an Olight M20 to use as my primary on-duty flashlight. It's been an amazing light, until yesterday.

For some reason yesterday, it stopped turning on. When I click the tail button, nothing happens. Every now an then it will turn on but will then turn off on its own after a minute or so. And each time I do manage to get it to turn on, it will do so in a different mode than what it was set to before. Most times I turn it on it is on the lowest setting. But sometime it will turn on directly to the strobe or highest setting.

When I do the light on I can't change the setting. When I rotate the head the light usually turns off. When the setting does finally change it will only swap between the lowest setting and strobe. I can't get it to go to the high setting.

Can anyone offer any suggestions on why this might be happening? I've tried new batteries and that hasn't helped.

As this is my primary duty flashlight, this is a real problem. I really need to get this solved ASAP.

Any help is very much appreciated.

Thanks,
CG

Last edited:

Nonprophet

Newly Enlightened
Sounds like maybe the tailcap switch assembly is loose and needs tightened. Small pair of needlenose pliers will fit in the two small holes used to tighten switch assembly.

NP

herosemblem

Enlightened
When I had this problem, I had to order a pair of long sharp pointy tweezers from ebay for a dolloar or so. Then I tightened the notches in the tailcap, as mentioned. Then, if I recall, I also tightened the heatsink assembly and related parts, using the tweezers, and the m20 worked.great after that.

crazigee

Newly Enlightened
I've tried tightening the tailcap as suggested. It didn't seem loose at all, unfortunately. It doesn't seem to have helped at all.

I'll contact Olight tomorrow. Hopefully they'll replace the light.

In the mean time if anyone has any other suggestions please let me know.

Thanks again,
CG

herosemblem

Enlightened
Did you take a look at the heatsink assembly (or whatever that brass-colored ring unit in the head is called)?

I forget which of the 2 solutions solved my problem: tightening the tailcap assembly with the special tweezers VS tightening all the things in the head with the special tweezers, but one of them should work.

Know this: Using your hands to tighten the pieces in the head won't do anything. I'm pretty sure I needed those special tweezers to make it work. Good luck!

snowkap

Newly Enlightened
clean the threads and contact area where the head and body make contact and the tailcap and body make contact, if you do all that plus all from above then........