If you could improve one thing about the E01, what would it be?

michman

Newly Enlightened
I've been playing with my E01 tonight, still trying to kill the same dead dead battery I have had in it for weeks, and realized that if I could improve any one thing regarding the E01, it would be to make it a two mode twist down light. 13 lm (sun) and 3 or 4 lm (moon). Basically the same it now has, just they would be accessible when desired. The standard moon mode would still occur once the battery drops below 1v.

I think that the moon should be first, then the sun mode. Just like the old EZ AA or LD15.

Any other thoughts?

Last edited:

yowzer

Enlightened
Swap out the LED for one of the warm white ones that calipsoii is using in his A2 rings (Nichia NSPL500DS at ~3300K). Alternatively, whatever 5mm LED Surefire sourced for the A2Z. Not quite a low enough color temperature to be neutral white, but still a very nice tint compared to the stock smurf white.

Forget two mode, a QTC pill it in would be great too. Fully adjustable brightness ftw!

Burgess

Flashaholic
It REALLY needs to have S-O-S mode ! ! !

(just kidding, just kidding) :)

I think Yowzer has hit the nail on the proverbial head, with his posting above.

Additionally, i'd love to see this in an AA-cell "big brother" version !

:thumbsup:

Last edited:

waddup

Flashlight Enthusiast
make it $7 shipped. i already gift it often, but id do a lot more if it was $7.

think2x

Flashlight Enthusiast
Swap the led to warm and call it DONE.

If you can show me where to get one like it(bomb proof) with a warm emitter I'm in.

michman

Newly Enlightened
So the consensus seems to be around the getting the Surefire A2Z 5mm LED put in, and adding a QTC pill. Under constant use though, how long can that QTC pill hold out before it needs to be replaced because it is too compressed?

davecroft

Enlightened
I was going to state the obvious and say change the LED, but mine isn't too purple and a LED upgrade would increase the price...

I wouldn't mind it being a bit shorter. Never could understand why it is longer than the E05.

twl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anything close to white would be an improvement.
Making it actually white would be great!

Either that, or tell people that it''s a purple and yellow LED, so that they aren't expecting to get white light!

JohnnyLunar

Newly Enlightened
Yes, a neutral LED, preferably frosted to provide a very soft floody beam. I ended up doing the steel wool job on my E01, and it improved the beam shape tremendously. But that angry blue tint is pretty hard to take.

If I could change 2 things, I'd want a firefly mode, something around .25 lumens. But these 2 changes would probably take the price to at least around the $20 mark.

Actually, the E05 is even smaller than the E01, and has the diffuser lens, and a pretty neutral tint. So maybe just make a 2-mode E05 - 27 lumens and .25 lumens. That would be the perfect keychain light.

Matchstyx

Newly Enlightened
I would love a clicky tailcap for it. There really isn't a AAA clicky smaller than the LED Lenser, at least not that I could find.

And a better color temp would also be awesome, as everyone else has said.

michman

Newly Enlightened
Two stage and warm/neutral sounds like the ticket.

Geoff

Change the LED. I'm with that.

I am going to assume that most are happy with the 10-13 lumens that it tosses out on fresh batteries. So where should the second level be? I think 1.5 lm - 2 lm would be good.

What would be an acceptable price point for the light be then if these mods were made? An extra $3 - $5 perhaps? If so, we inch up to E05 territory (although I think this newly modified E01 would be more versatile).

Should the beam be floody like the Preon ReVo? or is the current balance of spot + spill ok?

Last edited:

NightKids

Enlightened
It's near perfect the way it is and pretty much everyone should have one!

As people have mentioned maybe a lil warmer tint. Apart from that, it's built like a tank!

michman

Newly Enlightened
I have been playing around with my E01 tonight, still trying to kill the battery. It still somehow produces enough light for indoor or nearby use. I have tried to use the battery to power up an E05, which it barely does. Good for it. I put it in my small FM radio (Sony SRF-S83), light static, but no signal. This radio was once my ultimate test for batter power remaining. In the ReVo. Nothing. In the bed side alarm clock. Barely. There is no way that I would depend on it to power the alarm in the morning....

I had wanted to toss out this battery and put in something new, but I now feel bad for it. This light just sucks these batteries dry. The E01 truly is a fantastic light. :thumbsup:

Now do I pick up an LD01 to go with it now?