Fraen Optic for Arc LSHF Info Needed

lithium

Newly Enlightened
I'm trying to find a replacement optic for my beloved Arc LSHF. I ordered what I thought was the correct Fraen model, but what arrived was way too large. Does anyone know what the model number for the original optic that came with the light is and/or where I could get one? Suggestions for a possible upgrade would not be unwelcome. Thanks!

lithium

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the reply, louie. I had almost forgotten about the Sandwich Shoppe - I've not been keeping up with this stuff over the last several years.

I don't remember where I ordered the optic from; it was about six months ago. It looked like the right one (they didn't give the dimensions) and was only a few bucks, so I gave it a shot. What I got looked about right, but was much larger - about 30mm wide, as I recall.

Yes, the light is "ancient," but it has proved to be reliable (except for the optics) and, in spite of owning some fifty flashlights, nothing else has been able to take it's place. This includes an unmodified LSH, Arc4 and a few newer lights.

I already upgraded the LED and did try the IMS reflector, but it cracked after I dropped the light the first time. The Fraen has also now cracked, but it took a lot more to do it. Now that, with your help, I've "rediscovered" the Sandwich Shoppe, I'm thinking about trying the aluminum McR-18 reflector. It looks like it will work, but I need to do some research...

louie

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK, I never tried the McR18. IIRC, they are relatively expensive and harder to find. I discovered I have several used Fraens. After everyone saying how great they were, I found I didn't like them.

lithium

Newly Enlightened
The Sandwich Shoppe has 22 of the McR18 reflectors for $17 each. Not cheap, but I think worth it if it fits - I know it won't crack!

As for the used Fraens you have, if you're looking to part with them, send a PM. I didn't like them at first either, but a very light diffuser gives them enough spill and rounds out the square beam enough to make me happy with them. The NX05 is just too poor on throw.

THE_dAY

Flashlight Enthusiast
The LSH-F used to my favorite Arc. That optic now reminds me somewhat of Surefire's TIR optic where it has a big hotspot with little spill.

I wonder if they would work properly with other emitters?

lithium

Newly Enlightened
I tried one with a "bat-wing" Luxeon 1 watt some time ago. It produced a larger hotspot with a bit of a "doughnut hole." I'm going to try one with a Cree XR-E when they arive.