Surefire E1B Backup problem?

FPSRelic

Enlightened
Hi

I purchased an E1B recently, which seems to have a feature where if I try to select modes too quickly, the light comes on again in the same mode as before. For example, if I switch the light on-off-on using the momentary feature quicky, the light mode goes high-off-high. Are there any other E1B owners out there who can verify if this is normal behavior?

afdk

Newly Enlightened
:wave: I have a Surefire E2DL. If I cycle it super fast, sometimes it goes (high off high), but not very much. With a normal clicky action it works just fine.

FPSRelic

Enlightened
Using the CPF-only Google search for 'E1B modes skipping', it seems like this is the most applicable thread: Surefire E1B/E2DL UI differences

It appears as though a number of folks have reported this behavior previously.

Apologies Kestrel. I did do a search on "E1B Mode issue" and "E1B Mode problem" but not on "modes skipping". Thanks both to you and also afdk for your responses.

Kestrel

Flashaholic
No worries at all. :) I only knew exactly what to search for because I recall reading about this issue a while back.

(Edit: In particular, I recalled that it wasn't so much of an issue/problem (i.e. some lights being defective) so much as a non-optimum UI coding that could result in skipping modes.)

Happy to help & best regards,

Last edited:

herosemblem

Enlightened
Same issue with my g2x pro. Also used to experience this occasionally with my e1b. Standard affair w surefire and it'll and thrunite and limintop.

FPSRelic

Enlightened
It makes me feel better to know that this is just a "feature" of my light. This is the first multi mode Surefire clicky I've owned. I would not have expected them to have a flaw in thier design. So much so, that I am wondering if this is by design?

When you arms get fatigued, and your hands start to shake, you could accidentally "double tap" a switch when you only want to press it once. I could see military types getting upset with lights coming on in the wrong mode in high fatigue high stress situations.

Or maybe I'm just making up excuses for my favorite light manufacturer. :)

Kestrel

Flashaholic
Same issue with my g2x pro. Also used to experience this occasionally with my e1b. Standard affair w surefire and it'll and thrunite and limintop.
I'm wondering if the g2x pro might be a different issue, there were a vast number of posts about its sensitivity to bumps etc, where the positive terminal of the cell would momentarily lose contact with the front of the light, interrupting the circuit and fooling the light into a mode change. :shrug:

It makes me feel better to know that this is just a "feature" of my light. This is the first multi mode Surefire clicky I've owned. I would not have expected them to have a flaw in thier design. So much so, that I am wondering if this is by design?
IMO it's unfortunate with regards to the specific E1B software, perhaps a slight adjustment to the mode change timing would have minimized this behavior.

When you arms get fatigued, and your hands start to shake, you could accidentally "double tap" a switch when you only want to press it once. I could see military types getting upset with lights coming on in the wrong mode in high fatigue high stress situations.
From what I can tell, this light is more along the lines of the non-tactical crowd, serious use = single mode lights, but again, that's just my opinion after what I've read on CPF. :)

Or maybe I'm just making up excuses for my favorite light manufacturer. :)
LOL, well we're in the same boat, I myself am a late-adopter so I just try to read a lot to see what SF's I'll like and which ones that I won't. :)

I was tempted by the E1B a few times but decided against it based on reports about its UI - I ended up in the L-series camp instead. The nice thing about SureFire having a wide range of products is that everyone has a good chance of finding what works for them. For me, the only multimode SureFires I like are the L1-series.

Best regards,

Last edited:

FPSRelic

Enlightened
I actually have an L1 that I bought from a fellow CPF'er just recently (Big :wave: to Tazambo if he's watching), and I have to admit over the past few days it's the light that I've been carrying. It's one of the original cree versions with slight diffusion in its lens. I was keen on using the e1b for work due to it's throw, but the HA and the reliable UI are starting to win me over. I'm liking it so much I'm tempted to buy another for a backup. :shakehead

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
I actually have an L1 that I bought from a fellow CPF'er just recently (Big :wave: to Tazambo if he's watching), and I have to admit over the past few days it's the light that I've been carrying. It's one of the original cree versions with slight diffusion in its lens. I was keen on using the e1b for work due to it's throw, but the HA and the reliable UI are starting to win me over. I'm liking it so much I'm tempted to buy another for a backup. :shakehead

Going out on a limb here, but, 90% of L1 owners have more than 1...including me. As far as yer E1B...slow yer fingers down...LOL!

FPSRelic

Enlightened
For what its worth, I had sent an email to Surefire asking the same question before posting here. This is their response:

Dear Customer,

This does indeed sound to be operating correctly. The light is programmed to stay on the same output level if instantly re-activated. This is to prevent un-intentional output mode change if you were to accidentally release and re-activate the unit.

Thank You

so it is intentional after all.

Last edited:

LGT

Enlightened
Going out on a limb here, but, 90% of L1 owners have more than 1...including me. As far as yer E1B...slow yer fingers down...LOL!
Must agree. A rapid finger with the e1b will not give it time to change modes. And that 110 lumens with the TIR lense seems to be an understatement. This baby throws beyond what I expected. Hope you enjoy yours FPSRelic as much as I do mine.