Crelant 7G5 Is Coming My Way

ILIKEFLASHLIGHTS

Enlightened
Figured I better get me a Crelant 7G5 before Christmas. The 7G5 is supposed to be one bad XM-L thrower with it wide and deep reflector. I have heard great things about this light from a guy that bought one. I'll have some good throwers to compare it with since I own a Thrunite Catapult V3 and Olight M3X Triton and a Olight SR51. I can't wait to get it.

my#1hobby

Enlightened
Can't wait to see the results with the 7G5, I've been on the fence about which thrower to get. That M3X is impressive in your other thread against the V3.

ILIKEFLASHLIGHTS

Enlightened
The 7G5 will win in the throw against all other production XM-L flashlights out there I believe. It's got a very wide reflector and it's got a deeper reflector than all the others. The reason why the M3X out throws the Catapult V3 is because the Catpult V3 has a 58mm head diameter and the M3X has a 63mm head diameter. If they would have made the reflector as deep on the M3X as they did on the Catapult V3, this baby would throw even better.

ILIKEFLASHLIGHTS

Enlightened
It's just hard to outhrow a reflector this wide and this deep.

7G5A1_09.jpg

yifu

Enlightened
Reflectors maybe but with aspherics its a totally different thing, i mean the new DEFT EDC LR has 4k more lux than the 7G5 but is much smaller, a similar sized 66m aspheric lens can acheive >100k lux with an XML :O

ILIKEFLASHLIGHTS

Enlightened
Yea but the aspherics are doing that with a lower amount of lumens that are a super concentrated beam. Works along the same lines as a laser. But for practical purpsose they are all throw and no show for me. I would rather have some useful spill.

Last edited:

Enlightened
Yea but the aspherics are doing that with a lower amount of lumens that are a super concentrated beam. Works along the same lines as a laser. But for practical purpsose they are all throw and no show for me. I would rather have some useful spill.

Technically that is not true, for really far distances. For short distances of 10m-30m, then perhaps so because you can still see a bit of the corona and spill.

Dereelight DBS aspheric XR-E R2 vs 7G5. Hotspot. Distance about 150m (so i wasn't maxing it out). A lot of ambient light but you get the idea. The hotspot of the 7G5 is like what...20% bigger?
If you ask Saabluster, i think he'd agree with me.

original.jpg

Last edited:

Enlightened
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Why is that so?

In a reflector setup, if you would do a ceiling bounce, quite a bit of the light is also "lost" in the spill as well as corona, and for the above the hotspot is actually a slight donut. The light is just "lost". The reflector also cuts a fair bit of the output, in the order of 15%. With a bad lens, it cuts another 7%.

In a aspheric, the light is just refocused. Not sure how much the lens cuts, but literally all of it is refocused.

ILIKEFLASHLIGHTS

Enlightened

I may be wrong then. But explain to me what kind of throw would you have with Dereelight DBS aspheric with an XM-L at say 700 lumens OTF.

Last edited:

Enlightened

I may be wrong then. But explain to me what kind of throw would you have with Dereelight DBS aspheric with an XM-L at say 700 lumens OTF.

Well in BLF you'd have seen all the figures and threads, by me or coolperl and guys like James for the STL-V2 or V6. The DBS aspheric with EZ900 die XR-E pill (must be WD tint, not WH tint which is a bit green) would be about twice of that in candelas of the XM-L. The DBS aspheric has a 53mm external diameter head. At the same distance where i got 740 lux for the 7G5, i got nearly 1300 lux for the Dereelight. The Dereelight would have very good visiblity up till 300 metres, and the XM-Ls mentioned above would work from 200m to 230m. <<- assuming target gets 1 lux of illumination.

Well after reading other posts here and there it seemed the crelant had more lux than the m3x. I received the crelant today. I have compared it with my m3x and the m3x has a brighter hotspot for sure. No doubt about it. Both are powered by 3 x surefire cr123's. The crelant is a nice flashlight but I have wasted my money........

GBC

Newly Enlightened
Figured I better get me a Crelant 7G5 before Christmas. The 7G5 is supposed to be one bad XM-L thrower with it wide and deep reflector. I have heard great things about this light from a guy that bought one. I'll have some good throwers to compare it with since I own a Thrunite Catapult V3 and Olight M3X Triton and a Olight SR51. I can't wait to get it.
Im looking for one myself, were is the best place to get one? How much?, and shipping time. Thanks Im new to this, its my first post, CPF virgin,lol.

dudu84

Enlightened
Im looking for one myself, were is the best place to get one? How much?, and shipping time. Thanks Im new to this, its my first post, CPF virgin,lol.

If you live outside the US like me, try google International Outdoor. They have free shipping worldwide which is great :)

easilyled

Flashaholic
Aspheric beams are very specialized in their uses due to such a narrow field being lit up. They are not necessarily the beam of choice for the majority of flashlight users.

The Crelant 7G5 throws far enough for most applications and also has a much broader field of view than equivalent Aspherics flashlights (with considerably more spill for foreground illumination). I would contend that 95% of users will find this more useful than the beam cast from an Aspheric light.

BTW, I plucked this figure out of thin air and have no evidence to back it up other than my own experience and gut feeling. :nana:

Last edited:
Aspheric beams are very specialized in their uses due to such a narrow field being lit up. They are not necessarily the beam of choice for the majority of flashlight users. The Crelant 7G5 throws far enough for most applications and also has a much broader field of view than equivalent Aspherics flashlights (with considerably more spill for foreground illumination). I would contend that 95% of users will find this more useful than the beam cast from an Aspheric light.BTW, I plucked this figure out of thin air and have no evidence to back it up other than my own experience and gut feeling. :nana:
I agree, but it does of course depend on what you are using the flashlight for.

mohanjude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Aspheric beams are very specialized in their uses due to such a narrow field being lit up. They are not necessarily the beam of choice for the majority of flashlight users.

The Crelant 7G5 throws far enough for most applications and also has a much broader field of view than equivalent Aspherics flashlights (with considerably more spill for foreground illumination). I would contend that 95% of users will find this more useful than the beam cast from an Aspheric light.

BTW, I plucked this figure out of thin air and have no evidence to back it up other than my own experience and gut feeling. :nana:

Don't get me wrong... I would love to blast the neighbourhoods at night up and down the estates with 2000 lumens - when I first bought the TM11 it was amazing. I soon found out that everybody started to turn their lights on at 2 am to see what the fuss was about. It is still quite amazing to see the amount of light such a small torch produces. Now I am using the Asperic as I can now harmlessly shine the beam to the front door, wheelie bins or even down long drives to see if we are in the right area. The DBS V3 fits that bill perfectly for me. This is the one time I feel I can actually justify the money spent on torches apart from the £550 that Keeler ripped me off for a incandescent rechargable opthalmoscope that I use to do my job.

Now if I decided to carry the Polarion around that would get me arrested - quite certain of that. Throw plus flood...

GBC

Newly Enlightened
If you live outside the US like me, try google International Outdoor. They have free shipping worldwide which is great :)
Thank you sir, I just found out thats were selfbuilt got his also, I will have one on the way soon! This was easy enough for my first time.