Quark X 123-2 with 18650 body

Claireandtim

Newly Enlightened
Hey everyone,

I have the X 123-2 now but am interested in the "lego-ing" aspect of the Quark series. Can you tell me if the 18650 body/setup on the "X" XM-L would work? It would seem to me that the 18650 could power the light to the same output as the 2 123's that I am using now.. however I'm not a battery guru so figured I'd be better off asking the experts.

Part two of my post really belongs in the Marketplace (which I will post) but since I haven't yet looked, any thoughts on how difficult it may/may not be to find an 18650 body?

Thanks in advance!

kreisler

Banned
i was looking into this subject too and there are already enough CPF threads on it, very long informative for that matter. a week ago the Polish 4sevens site offered their last copy of the 18650 body.

Last edited:

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
well, a few of the points are correct, but the main reason to run an 18650 is:
less cost, WAY more power in cells.
Unfortunately the Quark is not allowed to be run with 2 CR123a Li-Ions ...

direct to the points:
* no reverse protection --> does the original setup has one? :thinking:
* more screwing --> correct but not correct for changing battery (open at bezel, not at switch end) but the problem is the change between level 1 and 2 (with the tactical), because the additional threads of the 18650 body do loosen sometimes
* longer --> correct, adds just under 1 inch
* thinner tube --> :rolleyes: is that anything important considering a QUARK???? I mean thats the reason to purchase one of them
* expensive --> no clue to that. Yes one has to purchase one for using one
* awkward --> dunno what to type, but definitly the original 2*CR123 setup is way nicer (and smaller)

To be honest, I just removed my 18650 from the quark "X" and the original short setup is much nicer (+ the much more safe "operation" without the additional threads and use it as safety light with the CR batts. But if I would like the output of the XM-L and its tint more, I possibly still would use with with the 18650.
At least I am constantly switching forth and back ever few days and am not sure
;)

kadinh

Newly Enlightened
Can you tell me if the 18650 body/setup on the "X" XM-L would work?

any thoughts on how difficult it may/may not be to find an 18650 body?

Thanks in advance!

1. yes, you are correct. the 18650 will work with the turbo x and many people use them that way.

2. 4sevens isnt making the 18650 body anymore, so they are harder to come by.

Claireandtim

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for al of the advice/info... much good information and points of view and I appreciate it. One last follow up question on the "stock" Quark X 123-2 that I have now... can I run a 17670 AW in the light, in place of the 2 AW 16340's that I run right now? I read that the 17670 is maybe just a bit thicker around than the 16340's but on a different thread I was reading, it seemed that someone had successfully used the 17670 in a Quark body. Was a bit unclear when I read it, so figured I'd throw it on this thread and spell it out clearly. Thanks again for the help

Claireandtim

Newly Enlightened
Definitely seems to be accurate... I'm currently and have been running my Quark X 123-2 on AW RCR 123's for a few weeks without any issues. I am still curious about my last question; can the 123-2 use an AW 17670 in place of the 2 RCR 123's? thanks in advance if anyone can comment on this.

Lou Minescence

Flashlight Enthusiast
Definitely seems to be accurate... I'm currently and have been running my Quark X 123-2 on AW RCR 123's for a few weeks without any issues. I am still curious about my last question; can the 123-2 use an AW 17670 in place of the 2 RCR 123's? thanks in advance if anyone can comment on this.

I run my Quark X on an AW1760. Works fine. According to some of the reviews the Quark X will get brighter on 2 CR123 cells, but I can't tell the difference with my eyes. It's still very bright. I went 17670 for the longer runtime over the 2 RCR combination.