Malkoff tailcap question…

NotRegulated

Flashlight Enthusiast
I currently own an older Malkoff Wildcat with a MD4 body. It has the old tailcap design where the rubber boot sticks out of the end. I also recently bought a MD3 body for it. The MD3 body came with the new style tailcap that doesn't protrude past the tailcap allowing for tail standing.

I am looking to buy a MD2 and have a question about its tailcap. Is it removable like the MD3 and MD4? Is it interchangeable with the tailcaps on the MD3 and MD4? Are all the tailcaps the same size, dimensions, etc.?

I ask because I noticed on the Malkoffdevices website that they have replacement tailcaps for the MD3 and MD4, but not the MD2.

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
The md-2 has two versions, both with a tailcap (new one) , and with a clicky directly in the body (no tail cap,old one). The tailcap should work.

jcalvert

Enlightened
I currently own an older Malkoff Wildcat with a MD4 body. It has the old tailcap design where the rubber boot sticks out of the end. I also recently bought a MD3 body for it. That's the Judco/Kroll switch. The MD3 body came with the new style tailcap that doesn't protrude past the tailcap allowing for tail standing.

I am looking to buy a MD2 and have a question about its tailcap. Is it removable like the MD3 and MD4? Before you order, you should contact Malkoff Devices and confirm that you will be receiving the 2-pc body/tailcap with your MD2 order. Is it interchangeable with the tailcaps on the MD3 and MD4? Yes. Are all the tailcaps the same size, dimensions, etc.? Yes, they are the exact same tailcap & switch for all three MD bodies.

I ask because I noticed on the Malkoffdevices website that they have replacement tailcaps for the MD3 and MD4, but not the MD2. Also note, the latest iteration of the MD body/McClicky switch tailcap now has a removable, twist off shroud. Removing this shroud allows for easy access and replacement of the McClicky switch boot from the bottom. Open this link, and enlarge the photo of the tailcap and you should be able to note the removable shroud that surrounds the rubber switch boot.

Last edited:

NotRegulated

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you very much for a nice comprehensive answer! It sounds like I should make sure I will be getting the 2-pc body/tailcap AND a tailcap with a removable twist off shroud.

jcalvert

Enlightened
Thank you very much for a nice comprehensive answer! It sounds like I should make sure I will be getting the 2-pc body/tailcap AND a tailcap with a removable twist off shroud.

Hi NR,

Although the following is probably overkill, I feel I need to be certain my description is better understood for everyone, so I'll describe the latest MD series host in a breakdown.

The MD series host (no drop-in yet)
1. The head/bezel (same as always, afaik) When ordering, be sure the lens & sealing gasket are included.
b) Available Hi-Lo ring is an option, unless you order a "Turn-key MD2 w/ Hi-Lo ring package".

The MD2, MD3, MD4 body/battery tube

The 2-piece tailcap/switch housing (newest design)
a) tailcap body (houses the McClicky switch)
b) the tailcap's removable shroud

*So the newest MD series hosts includes 3 "main" components, but the tailcap component is actually a 2-piece design. So technically, it's now a 4-piece host*

The previous generation was also a 3-piece design, but the tailcap didn't have the removable shroud. However, it had a McClicky switch, so the light could still tailstand.

Before that, it was again a 3-piece design, but the tailcap housed a Judco/Kroll switch (the style that had a protruding, cone-shaped, rubber boot.

Afaik, the first generation was a 2 piece design with just the head/bezel and then a 1-piece battery tube/switch housing (no separate tailcap), using the Judco/Kroll switch.

I think that's it, if anyone has anything more to add for clarification, please do so. I hope this was helpful!

All the best,
John

slumber

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can the newer tail cap be carried without the removable shroud, essentially being a raised tail cap? The lack of a raised tail cap is what has held me back from an MD2

jcalvert

Enlightened
Can the newer tail cap be carried without the removable shroud, essentially being a raised tail cap? The lack of a raised tail cap is what has held me back from an MD2

Hello SP,

I think I know what your asking, but the terminology is just a little off. OK, in the current design of the tailcap, the shroud protrudes further than the rubber switch boot, which allows the light to tailstand. What I believe you want to know, is if you remove the shroud, thus exposing the switch covered by the rubber boot (to provide easier access to the switch), can the light still be used? If this is your question, then no, at least not as Gene Malkoff intended for this design, the shroud actually holds the switch boot in place.

If you prefer a protruding switch (aka the Judco/Kroll switch) with the MD2, you would have 2 potential options that I can think of at the moment. One is to contact Malkoffdevices and see if they have available a tailcap w/ the Judco switch, and the other is to place a WTB ad (Want To Buy) in the CPF Marketplace. Again, I believe the Judco switch was available on the 1st generation 1-piece body and then the 2nd generation 2-piece body that had a separate tailcap.

I hope that was what you wanted to know.

All the best,
John

Edit: If you prefer having easier access to the switch as I do, I use a Moddoo Triad tailcap w/ McClicky switch on all my Malkoff MD series bodies, available from Oveready. This makes switch operation easier for me with an overhand grip, as I prefer, but still provides tailstanding. However, it is a "relatively" expensive replacement for the Malkoff shrouded tailcap. But I really like using my Malkoffs with this tailcap/switch combo.

Last edited:

slumber

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you jcalvert, thats the exact info I was after. I did try an MD2 once, but found it very forward heavy, like a hammer. It wouldn't have been a problem for me though if it had a protruding switch like the older MD2. I guess my grip on it made it awkward to activate the light. I like to use the middle of my thumb to activate the light. I did not know the tail cap had a shroud so I never tried to remove it. I ended up returning it, but I would like to venture into the world of Malkoff again.

jcalvert

Enlightened
Thank you jcalvert, thats the exact info I was after. I did try an MD2 once, but found it very forward heavy, like a hammer. It wouldn't have been a problem for me though if it had a protruding switch like the older MD2. I guess my grip on it made it awkward to activate the light. I like to use the middle of my thumb to activate the light. I did not know the tail cap had a shroud so I never tried to remove it. I ended up returning it, but I would like to venture into the world of Malkoff again.

You may not have had the version with removable shroud, both versions look virtually identical. But if the Malkoffs have a tailcap w/ Judco available to offer you, that would be a great option, as that switch offers wonderful tactile feedback. If I wasn't using the Triad tailcap, I would prefer the Judco.

And you are welcome, I'm just extending a little of the famous Malkoff kindness that I've received many times!