XM-L T5 worth $24 more than XP-G R4?

retiredguns

Newly Enlightened
I just ordered a light with the XP-G R4 and while I thought it might be nice to have the newer XM-L, the price difference was $24 so I held off.....for now. I am upgrading from a Maglite mini with LED conversion that is weak so I don't think I'll be disappointed. I see that I can get an XM-L and do my own mod down the road if desired or of course I could get addicted like my other hobbies and just buy a few lights!

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
The XML produces a wider hotspot than the XPG, not necessary a brighter hotspot.

The XML can take twice the power increasing total brightness, but it also means your battery(ies) only lasts 1/2 as long.

tolkaze

Enlightened
While the LED isn't worth $24, the fact that it is newer, takes a different driver and possibly has a different reflector to help with the beam may factor in most of the cost difference. If it is literally just an LED swap, and not the driver, reflector or anything else, it may not be worth the hassle, and would be easier to do as a DIY later on. If it is a different driver, it would really depend on the light, and its configuration

MichaelW

Flashlight Enthusiast
$2.40 is an appropriate upgrade cost from xp-g to xm-l.
You do get more lumens, but give up throw.

retiredguns

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the replies. The light will be used at close range mainly so I'm not too concerned about 1 specific attribute but am now intrigued by these modern lights! The light in question is the Lumapower Incendio V3U with XP-G R4 as compared to the special edition Same light with the XM-L. From what I read I believe all else stayed the same.

FlashKat

Flashlight Enthusiast
The incendio V3 is too small of a light to take advantage of the XML. You made the right choice. The XML requires a larger and deeper reflector to appreciate the full potential.
Thanks for the replies. The light will be used at close range mainly so I'm not too concerned about 1 specific attribute but am now intrigued by these modern lights! The light in question is the Lumapower Incendio V3U with XP-G R4 as compared to the special edition Same light with the XM-L. From what I read I believe all else stayed the same.

retiredguns

Newly Enlightened
Thanks. I figure it's a starting point...

The Wife saw me lay out the flashlights I found in my dresser "junk" drawer and they numbered 11. She asked me why the heck I need more. I showed and (tried to reason) that these were old, junkie freebies and wore out Mags. She thinks those free ones that come in the mail with multiple christmas light LEDs are great so there isn't any hope of her sharing my hobby but she knows I like good stuff so we'll see how far I get before the Kabosh!

To be fair to the sweety she also puts up with guitars, knives & fountain pens.

Colonel Sanders

Flashlight Enthusiast
"The incendio V3 is too small of a light to take advantage of the XML. You made the right choice. The XML requires a larger and deeper reflector to appreciate the full potential."

UNLESS you install the "turbo" head....then it works quite well with the XM-L (in fact it EASILY out throws my SC600 for example and it's not close...I mean, not at all close!) A sweet little light indeed and quite the pocket thrower when used with the turbo head. :cool:

P.S. If running 16340s with the XM-L version I highly recommend IMRs.

Latest posts