Chief Wiggum vs. Inova X5T - Round 3

onelight

Enlightened
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif Wow I like that, Chief the bezel did turn out great. Inova should make one just like it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

jtice

Flashaholic
WOW, this turned out REALLY well Chief. !!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

I HAVE to make this one of my projects as soon as I get my lathe. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I really like the x5t's design, so this should be a great light after the upgrade.

Now,,, is the Inova x1 next for you Chief? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

koala

Flashlight Enthusiast
Beautiful, beautiful.. just right under the sheepskin. I second jtice question.. Inova X1 next? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Vince.

Atomic6

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cool /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif It is always great when projects yeild the desired results.

You just may be getting my XT5 to whittle on Chief....

Sonic

Newly Enlightened
Beautiful job! I don't see how it could have come out better than it did. Just like Inova would have done it!

How about a 5 watt w/McFlood next. Do you think the X5 has enough aluminum to handle a 5 watt? Maybe under-driven at 600 mAh.

Chief_Wiggum

Enlightened
Thanks guys! I really had a good time on this project.

I'm seriously considering the 5W next. Katokichi used a 3/4" Carley reflector in his McFlood with a 5W and it seemed to work well. I'm trying to get a hold of some now via Ginseng's group buy.

I don't think there's really enough surface area for the X5 to handle a 5W, but underdriven it may work for non-continuous duty.

Still, with the LP the 1W really is super bright and with the 2 cells gives excellent runtime. Plus I already have Q3Js...

B@rt

Flashaholic
Nice work Chief! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif
Isn't it possible to remove a little from the upper part of the body to make the lens a little less recessed so there is more sidespill? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

Chief_Wiggum

Enlightened
The problem is not that the body is too long, it's that the bezel needs at least 0.150" of flange to fit inside the tube. That plus 0.100" for the bezel's ring and you already have 0.250" just to seat the bezel properly.

If I could scheme up a way to fit the guts inside the inside diameter of the bezel I could move everything forward. But the diameter of the tube just isn't big enough for that. It'll barely accept optics as it is.

Regardless, the LP optics really don't have any sidespill for the bezel to block. Reviewing the beashots, I don't think there'd be much difference aside from aesthetics.

jtice

Flashaholic
Cheif,
From what I have seen, the LP optics has pretty much NO side spill to worry about.
I only see this being a problem with nx05 optics, or a mcflood.

Again, great work on this, I hate that you beat me to it, but at least you did a hell of a job on it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Keep up the good work.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Very nice job Chief!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I assume that you want to keep the "guts" of the mod under wrap? I respect that. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Could the bezel ring receive a chamfer or is it relieved with a groove inside for adhesion?

At anyrate, you took a nice looking light and made it much better, IMHO. Well done!

- Don

Chief_Wiggum

Enlightened
Thanks, Don. You can see the nasty bits in round 1 and 2 from my flashlight homepage.

No groove, although, I should do that on the next one. I thought about cleaning up the bezel and chamfering it, again, probably on the next one.

Latest posts