SureFire G2Z w/ P60 bulb need upgrade

adam38654

Newly Enlightened
My friend gave me an old SF g2z with two 123 batteries and P60 65 lumen incandescent bulb. I see on there website they offer a P61 with 120 lumens or P90/P91 120/200 lumen bulbs if I want to upgrade to 9v bulbs.

I was wondering what my best options are for upgrading the output . The factory LED conversions are too expensive but I have seen something about a D26 CREE LED bulb for pretty cheap but I don't know what brands are quality enough that I can depend on.

This is a polymer body light but I will only be using it for short burst and would like to have a decent run time also.

Last edited:

LightJaguar

Enlightened
:welcome:

That's a nice flashlight that your friend gave you. If you want long a run time then LED is the way to go. However being a polymer flashlight you might need to change the bezel to an aluminum one. There are a couple of choices as you will soon find out if you stick around. They depend on how much you are willing to spend and the looks of it. Solarforce are cheap and good quality and I've seen them matched up nicely to the G2Z.
Also Surefire sells the KX4 LED upgrade and they seem to go for around $50 in the marketplace and other places. One draw back is that the KX4 is not upgradable. A Malkoff M60L would probably be a good option if you want to keep the light with the stock bezel. The reason why you need a metal one is because the LED drop ins get hot and they need to the metal to cool off.

BIGLOU

Enlightened
Welcome to CPF. Since you are using it in short bursts I recommed getting your hands on a Surefire P60L 80 lumen light assembly. I use mine with 2 RCR123s (2x4.2V= 8.4V off the charger) it will work since the P60L was also made to be used with a 3 cell/9 volt (G3, 9P). When you get that metal bezel I recommend looking in getting a Nailbender LED drop-in ($45), which you will soon find out if you stick around like LightJaguar said.

Kestrel

Flashaholic
Hello Adam, welcome to CPF. :wave:

A quality host (SureFire) deserves a quality dropin. :)
  • Plastic head/bezel assembly: Malkoff M61L (lower output & less heat, extended runtime)
  • Metal head/bezel: Malkoff M61 (about the most powerful setup you'd want in a plastic-bodied host, heat from the LED will have only limited means of being conducted away from the dropin)
The Malkoff M61 has replaced the M60 for the most part; it has a more efficient emitter and a somewhat more useful beam IMO.

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the same G2Z.

i might be mistaken, but i think all G2Z come with the aluminium bezel.
the aluminium bezel is better at heat transfer than polymer.

anyways, someone in my family burnt out a custom LED drop-in in mine by leaving it on until the batteries died.
i replaced it with a Malkoff M61HCRI. its pretty damn bright...

i wish i got the "low" or "low low" malkoff drop-in instead because its still bright enough, while having much better runtimes, and heat management, since the drop-in isnt being pushed as hard.

check out the specs of the malkoff M61, M61L, and M61LL. neutral tint, and high CRI versions are also available.

adam38654

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the other options. I am going to try to get a discontinued p60l w/ 80 lumens for now until I get an aluminum bezel. I like the 12-15 hour run time for something that I might leave in my car.

I look forward to getting a g2, 6p,and others and upgrading them to those awesome bulbs with the stronger or rechargeable batteries in the future.

Who makes nice bezels for the g2z?

Kestrel

Flashaholic
I am going to try to get a discontinued p60l w/ 80 lumens for now until I get an aluminum bezel. I like the 12-15 hour run time for something that I might leave in my car.
That runtime number (oft-maligned here @ CPF) was unfortunately a bit off - that is the runtime down to ~1 lumen. The actual output of that module in a plastic host & bezel drops from ~80 initial lumens down to ~50 lumens after only 5-10 minutes, then drops off rapidly after about 2.5 hours down to minimal output. It actual runtime at any substantial output really can be only considered ~2.5 hours. This compares rather woefully to the ~18 hours of measured runtime (at max) that the legendary Malkoff M60LL does, while maintaining comparable output. Althought the Malkoff M60LL has been discontinued, the M61LL should be pretty comparable.

The posted output and runtime numbers for the SureFire P60LED dropin have had much discussion here @ CPF in past years. This is a rather unpopular unit for a number of reasons - it was a stopgap method that was thankfully discontinued.

Although I'm a big fan of SureFire products, the SF P60LED was unsatisfactory in many ways. I would very much recommend a different LED dropin for virtually any imaginable use.