What was your first?

Chidwack

Enlightened
Just what flashlight did you buy first that got you started into this flashlight frenzy?

Did you start off with a good one or did you buy one that you were not satisfied with and started you into searching for something better?

My first one was a pretty good one. Olight M20s.

BLUE LED

Flashlight Enthusiast
My first good torch was a Surefire D2, but my first good LED was a Surefire L4 Lumamax. I still have both :)

JimLob65

Newly Enlightened
My first quality LED flashlight was a Fenix TK12 S2 version if I remember correctly. I was amazed at the capabilities and how bright it was. Researching that purchase led me to this forum where i learned an awful lot!

Larbo

Enlightened
My first was a surefire L2 bought about 4 years ago. Still have it and it in almost 100% condition as I carried it in a surefire holster.

jak3All3n

Newly Enlightened
a new acquaintance at the time showed me his surefire g2 but i was adamant on using aa rechargeables so he introduced me to fenix, soon after that, i got a fenix l2d-ce

michman

Newly Enlightened
Pelican 2AA. Waterproof with a light bending attachment. It got me through many nights of camping, and has left me scrambling for batteries when I thought that I had some juice left for what I needed. Eventually the Photon II and III made their way into my possession, and then a CMG Infinity and Gerber Infinity. There was also some space ship shaped light (which can still be seen on the top right hand corner of "flashlighreviews.com") that I bought a long time ago... Sold it to my brother. Would not mind getting it back now that I think of it.

Anyways, that was where I started (mid 90s to early 2002).

Launch Mini

Flashlight Enthusiast
My first "real"flashlight was a SPY007.
I had seen a buddys Wee a year prior, asked him about it right before one of Dave's releases.
The rest is history.

1jono

Newly Enlightened
My first decent flashlight was a Gladius Night Ops.
I now have 2 Scorpion V2's which make the Gladius a little sad!

DaveKingman

Newly Enlightened
Purchased a Fenix E21 about 4 months ago. Already looking for the next couple to buy :)

Tommygun45

Enlightened
After seeing an E2DL in an NRA mag I was hooked. Couldn't afford it though so got a Quark Turbo 123x2 instead. Since then its been all Surefire's, Malkoff's and Moddoo's however. Now into this damn cerakoting and boring thing. Ugh. ;-)

roadkill1109

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just what flashlight did you buy first that got you started into this flashlight frenzy?

Did you start off with a good one or did you buy one that you were not satisfied with and started you into searching for something better?

My first one was a pretty good one. Olight M20s.

Cool 1st one! Mine was a Led Lenser K3, then P3, then P14. Then I found CPF and got "schooled" hahaha! My first really next gen light is the Quark AA2 Tac. :)

Mikeg23

Enlightened
Wow! I just thought of several things that I didn't even know I remembered...

I'm 27 now but I couldn't have much more than 5 when the electrician working on my Dads building gave me a flashlight to keep... I don't have any idea what it was, but I remember exactly what it looked like. It was very rectangular and had a side switch that was more of a toggle...

After that I also remember having several incandescent penlights as a child... I got a gold"ish" 2D maglight when I was in elementary school (I still have it) and later on a 2AA maglight that I actually carried for a while as a teen.

Once I turned 18 and got into handguns it didn't take long for the flashlight addiction to really kick in I got a dorcy LED to replace the Mini mag on my belt. About a year after that I wanted more power so after a lot of research (ar15.com) I got a Strion when they first came out. Then I got addicted to Surefire incans and have just in the last year started to sway from that.

Last edited:

dj:litestick

Newly Enlightened
:whistle:

You "youngsters" have it SO easy ! ! !

_

I'll stand beside you on that. :thumbsup:

My very first were the Duracell Durabeam and Rayovac Workhorse from the link you provided. For some reason I just loved flat rectangular flashlights back then, and think I still do with current lights. :nana: They were just so discretely carried. And then when I broke out into LED's in the early to mid 2000's, my first that I can remember was the Nuwaii Q3 single CR123. Carried that baby everyday right up til I went to bed.

kj2

Flashaholic
My first was a 5D Maglite, First led light was a Fenix TK11R2 -Still got both :) ,and using the Fenix a lot at the moment.

pichl

Newly Enlightened
My first (real) Flashlight was Fenix P3d Q5. I sold ist an bought a PD31 because i want to have the 18650er Choice.

At the moment i use a Modoo Triple with a Solarforce host!

Then for about one year a bought a wolf eyes super Storm II only fot the wow effect. Anyone who wants to buy?

Ishango

Enlightened
Well, to me it started at young age already :) I have always been into lights. When I was 12 I had lots of cheapo lights which I liked a lot, bought and saved for from my allowance. Then when I was about 16 and had some disposable money from working I bought my Maglite 2AA and later my Maglite 3D. For years I thought I had about the best of the best in the flashlight market and didn't look into it much anymore, little did I know :)

About 3,5 years ago or so I ordered a Fenix E20 and Fenix E01, after seeing a LED light in use by a guide during a tour through an old marlstone quarry and being astonished by its' amazing power (don't know what light it was, but it was a 1AA size light). This is what awakened my interest again and since then I can't stop looking for and reading about the latest and greatest on flashlight development.

As my first real light I think it's my Maglite 3D at younger age, but followed by my Fenix E20 that actually got me started in the hobby.

Sammy_boy

Newly Enlightened
Depends on your definition of a 'real' flashlight I guess! I got a metallic red MiniMag about 15 years ago (which I still have - albeit modified with a TerraLUX dropin), or about 10 years ago got one of those rechargeable '1 million candlepower' lanterns - both amazed me with their light output when I got them! Still got that lantern too, though it doesn't get any use apart from loft duty and the battery's about had it! I had quite a few cheap incan lights when younger too and was fascinated by them and loved using them.

First decent light I got recently was one of those 3AA 'Livarno Lux' Aldi special lights, got a Cree emitter of some sort and I was amazed by it's output and throw when I got it. That got me back into flashlights and then got a Fenix LD20 and E11. I've now just bought my first Surefire too (a secondhand E1B off the marketplace) which I can't wait to receive! :thumbsup:

Soerlys

Newly Enlightened
My first real light was the 4sevens 2aa tactical neutral from last years neutral run.