S/F LX2 or E2D Defender LED, read the reviews still can't make mind up, help!

Phil40000

Newly Enlightened
I first set my heart on the LX2 after reading glowing reports about it on this forum, then the E2D raises its head and it costs a little less and looks like a good self defence EDC light. I like the TIR lense but does one of these lights have a tighter beam as i like throwers? Do they use the same LED etc

Please chime in if you have an opinion on either light, i will be pulling the trigger tonight on one of them, at this time i am leaning towards the E2D.

chef4850

Enlightened
Hello Phil,

I have both lights and the beams are almost the same. VERY throwy. Both are great lights and If I had to choose between the two it would be a tough decission but the LX2 would win. I like the looks of the LX2 over the E2DL and the teeth (bezel) are very sharp and will in time wear holes in your pockets. I like the momentary switch versus the clicky in the E2DL. But all is personal preferance.

Overall both lights are great! So I would not hesitate with either one. Everyones opinions are subjective and what works for me might not work for you.

Chef

Phil40000

Newly Enlightened
I thought about the teeth on the Defender and if i bought this light i would get a Surefire holster to carry it in. Which ever light i choose i will end up with a good one. Is the switch on the LX2 an electronic one compared to the 2 stage clicky on the Defender?

enomosiki

Flashlight Enthusiast
They are both great lights and very similar in terms of performance. Both use the same TIR optics, and have roughly the same throw.

You will have to decide which UI and ergonomics is to your liking to choose between the two.

E2DL
UI: Forward-clicky. (Click once for high, turn off and click again for low.)
Pros
- Can tailstand.
- Has one of the most aggressive crenelations available on flashlights.
- Simple UI.
Cons
- Aggressive crenelation can rip into your clothes.
- No head-down carry with the available pocket-clip.

LX2
UI: Two-stage Lock-Out-TailCap. (Combines reliable twisty with momentary tailswitch.)
Pros
- Very reliable activation mechanism.
- Can be carried head-up or -down with two-way pocket-clip.
- Simple UI.
Cons
- Hard to twist the tailcap into constant-on position using only one hand.
- Pocket-clip has been reported to be brittle.
- Pocket-clip has been to scratch the tailcap when tailcap is rotated.

Quelalumieresoit

Newly Enlightened
Hi there, greetings from BELGIUM,
both lights are great.
You can easily deal with the Defender crenelations issue by using something like the "Mini Maglite anti-roll device/lens holder". It's easy to fit, easy to remove, gives the bezel a good protection, doesn't alter the beam, usable to help the torch tailstanding, etc...
Very useful little device...

NoFair

Flashlight Enthusiast
LX2; best 2 stage mechanism ever. Dislike the mode switching in the E2D

Echo63

Flashlight Enthusiast
+1
I have the older L2 - but the UI is the same - best switching mechanism for a 2 stage light.
Press for low, press further/harder for high, very simple, and works very well in high stress situations - no thinking about clicking through modes, remembering what it was set to last, just grab it and smash the button down and get max output.

If I was buying one, it would be the LX2 hands down

steveG

Enlightened
If you get an LX2 clip for your E2DL, you can carry it bezel down without problems. I've been carrying mine this way for months with no visible wear on my pant pockets. I also put the cap off my E1L on it... Carries better that way.

Phil40000

Newly Enlightened
Okay, many thanks for all the valued input. It is so much better listening to actual owners than looking at all the youtube reviews by people who cannot accept any critisicm of any product they have bought!

I crumbled and i have dipped my bread already.

I thought that i was going to pull the trigger on the E2Dl right up until i found myself pressing the button and buying the LX2! It is paid for and i will have it by Tuesday. It is too late to worry now, as i said in my opening post, the worst that will happen is that i will end up with a good light. Maybe i will buy the E2DL next month as well!

Thanks again, i just hope i made the right choice.

Kestrel

Flashaholic
+2, I totally agree. :)

I thought that i was going to pull the trigger on the E2Dl right up until i found myself pressing the button and buying the LX2! It is paid for and i will have it by Tuesday. It is too late to worry now, as i said in my opening post, the worst that will happen is that i will end up with a good light. Maybe i will buy the E2DL next month as well!

Thanks again, i just hope i made the right choice.
I think you will be very pleased with the LX2, particularly with respect to the UI.

Phil40000

Newly Enlightened
My LX2 arrived today and it is a fantastic piece of kit, it is everything that the other LX2 owners on here said it would be. I am very happy that i opted to go for this light. The UI is great and very intuitive, best of all though is that the switch feels like it wil last many years. The beam pattern suits my demands and needs perfectly with a nice, powerful and refined hot spot and enough spill to perform other tasks. Thanks again for the advice.

Regards,

Philip

slumber

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's great! That light really shines when you take outside. Also consider the F04 diffuser for up close tasks. I don't have one yet, but it's on my list.