To Be Seen: Illuminating the bike and the ground under it

acronym.esq

Newly Enlightened
What if a nighttime "be seen" strobe were directed down at the bike and ground below it rather than out the front, back, or side? It seems to me that illuminating the bike would make me more visible from all directions. I'm thinking of similar circumstances:
- a car with the ground fx, or
- signaling a search plane for help by using a blinky light on a shaded area rather than shining directly at a plane
- uplighting on a house

My nighttime "close calls" have occurred when a car is approaching at an angle near perpendicular to my direction of travel. They don't see me b/c they are off light/reflector angle.

It seems easier to achieve omnidirectional "be seen" visibility at night by illuminating myself rather than a carrying a mobile disco-tech.

Specific setup would be a cheap directional strobe on the handlebar and/or seat post shining back down on the bike.

Anyone tried this? Thoughts?
acronym 12/2/2011 9:20 AM

Last edited:

StuMorri

Newly Enlightened
My nighttime "close calls" have occurred when a car is approaching at an angle near perpendicular to my direction of travel. They don't see me b/c they are off light/reflector angle.

It seems easier to achieve omnidirectional "be seen" visibility at night by illuminating myself rather than a carrying a mobile disco-tech.

acronym 12/2/2011 9:20 AM

Can't quote a URL, but I saw, online, a device that addresses this. It was a single self-contained device that strapped to the seat tube and projected on either side a bank of eight white LEDs *FORWARD*, to light up the motion of a cyclist's legs. Designed to hi-light from the hip to the ankle. The idea is not to just alert drivers of a hazard, but allow them to ID a moving cyclist earlier.

It's on my to-do list to explore this with a couple of cheap rear blinkies; you know, the five to seven LEDs in a row that can be switched between steady and strobe.

Major concern is keeping the cyclist him/herself from being distracted, others are aiming, alternate mounting on the chain or seat stays, strobe rate vs. steady lit effectiveness, adaptability vs. cost.

BrianMc

Enlightened
I have seen the traffic data for Canada and the US, which indicate just under 70% of car-bike collisions are from the side (not head on or from the rear). The rear run over is rare in daylight and about 11 % overall, but has a higher fatality and severe injury associated with it. I assume the rest are the cyclist gong head long into the side of a vehicle.

This thread especially post 33 may interest you. There are also a laser "lane marking" device. I find that the two Red Zone 4's mounted on the seat post, have enough down light to wash the back of the bike and ground with red light. SInce the videos seem to have gone AWOL, there I will link the one which shows the side marker head and helmet lights, the Red Zones, and the spoke lights here: http://imageshack.us/clip/my-videos/402/5cd.mp4/

Can you see me now? :)

BrianMc

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic

just under 70% of car-bike collisions are from the side (not head on or from the rear).

Locally, I've seen riders wearing headlamps, pointing the light at approaching cars until they slow/stop. I came up with this for side visibility. The frame glows the identifiable shape, reinforced by the spinning wheels/cranks:

DAY
10wpn3b.jpg

NIGHT/LIT
wi6mip.jpg

Last edited:

jdp298

Newly Enlightened
With your sister, somewhere you wouldn't like
I just got some Christmas lights for our tree. 40 LEDs, white in colour, shade under 4 quid. When I read the box, I discovered the power draw, and bear in mind this is for 40 LEDs. 3v, 1.2W total. I have two 1W LEDs as front lights, 2 normal red LEDs aft and a 3W hub dynamo.

Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?

swhs

Newly Enlightened
What is it, and can you see it when it applied to the bike or is it clear?

Black 3M Scotchlite or no-name copies (it reflects white, which is cool). This stuff is fairly expensive btw. I read on another forum a few year ago about someone who had painted his entire bike in reflective paint, and his bike got totalled by someone in a car who "didn't see him".

Ah, that reminds me of a recent thread on mtbr.com about 2 cyclists getting run into by a motorist claiming not to have seen them. This is of course BS. He did see them but he made a mistake in his driving, clipping them. And then you get people claiming you need even more light, brighter taillamps/headlamps because motorists don't see you. This is of course nonsense, they do see you but are inept. I would like to see anyone making such a claim of not seeing anyone with a bunch of taillamps and when it's a side collision with a bike with lots of reflection 1. lose their driving licence, 2. get evaluated for being blind, 3. taking a psychological test and/or prosecuted for lying about his/her mistake causing an accident.

Edit: You might be able to interpret "I didn't see the cyclist" as "I was not aware enough of the cyclist", which could be true, which then gets back to what I think is necessary: Better driver education.

Last edited:

JacobJones

Enlightened
I just got some Christmas lights for our tree. 40 LEDs, white in colour, shade under 4 quid. When I read the box, I discovered the power draw, and bear in mind this is for 40 LEDs. 3v, 1.2W total. I have two 1W LEDs as front lights, 2 normal red LEDs aft and a 3W hub dynamo.

Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?

Seems like a good idea to me, what could possibly be more noticeable than technicolour flashing lights moving down the road. But how are you going to get the right voltage? Carrying an inverter on a bicycle isn't really practical.

1 what

Enlightened
Electron Guru.
I love your highly reflectorized bike - especially the wheels. The black 3M tape works well...I've got it in stripes over my black helmet but use silver 3M tape on the frame.
Do I see a GloTube used as a tail light?
Welcome to the club. As far as I know the first person to do that was a chap known as "GreenLed" some years ago.
Have you had any problems with it changing modes or turning on and off if you go over bumps?
There's an old post about that issue that might have survived the great CPF meltdown.
As for light under the bike....It seems like a good idea but I've not explored it.

EDIT:
Found the thread on GloTubes failing when used on bikes:
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?239576-Glo-Toob-switch-failure&highlight=
It starts off a bit slow but gets to bike use after a few posts.

Last edited:

Savvas

Enlightened
jdp298 - it's the current required that counts rather than the voltage per se. Arranged properly, I believe a good hub dynamo should be able to fire up around 45 - 60 standard leds. Maybe 3 equal series of parallel groups. However I do think that single, properly directed power leds plus reflectives such as the example above are the way to go. Simpler, less technical challenge and lots of passive safety.

Responding to swhs - I agree - it's highly likely that the 'I didn't see you' argument is specious! However the real point is that the driver is in control (or otherwise) of an object that can easily kill a bicycle user. So whether the driver says 'I saw you/didn't see you' after the event, the hazard is still there and the potential result the same. And most frequently, it will not be simply the inattentive driver who causes the hazard. It is the 'exception' that does the damage. There will be other circumstances involved - intoxication, excessive speed, exhaustion, teens joy riding with mates and sometimes external hazards such as lighting, driving into the sun (common in Australia!) etc. Personally I find all of this an excellent argument for super-powerful front and rear warning lights such as the RZ4/WZ5, the Design Shines and Dinottes, the AftaBlaasta and even the MS rear light and various home-made designs such as 1 what's. To my mind they are more likely to 'cut through' whatever sensory, perceptual or cognitive 'haze' a driver may be experiencing and trigger a suitable avoidance response - which is what we want surely! Granted, the only evidence I have of this is from my own experience of drivers slowing down, waiting, swinging wider etc as they encounter me on the way to and from work when I use these sorts of lights or ride with my front dynamo light on all the time. And the problem is that - as we know - it is not necessarily the ordinary driver who is alerted by your lights and appears to take extra care who is the problem! Logically, it is the driver who engages in an exceptionally hazardous combination of behaviours who is most likely to hit a bicycle user. That's why I believe the 'cutting through' principal is likely to be important. It's sort of like taking 'affirmative social action' to support a disadvantaged minority - there's no scientific proof (that I know of) but the principal seems right!
Savvas.

swhs

Newly Enlightened
Responding to swhs - I agree - it's highly likely that the 'I didn't see you' argument is specious! However the real point is that the driver is in control (or otherwise) of an object that can easily kill a bicycle user. So whether the driver says 'I saw you/didn't see you' after the event, the hazard is still there and the potential result the same. And most frequently, it will not be simply the inattentive driver who causes the hazard. It is the 'exception' that does the damage. There will be other circumstances involved - intoxication, excessive speed, exhaustion, teens joy riding with mates and sometimes external hazards such as lighting, driving into the sun (common in Australia!) etc. Personally I find all of this an excellent argument for super-powerful front and rear warning lights such as the RZ4/WZ5, the Design Shines and Dinottes, the AftaBlaasta and even the MS rear light and various home-made designs such as 1 what's. To my mind they are more likely to 'cut through' whatever sensory, perceptual or cognitive 'haze' a driver may be experiencing and trigger a suitable avoidance response - which is what we want surely! Granted, the only evidence I have of this is from my own experience of drivers slowing down, waiting, swinging wider etc as they encounter me on the way to and from work when I use these sorts of lights or ride with my front dynamo light on all the time. And the problem is that - as we know - it is not necessarily the ordinary driver who is alerted by your lights and appears to take extra care who is the problem! Logically, it is the driver who engages in an exceptionally hazardous combination of behaviours who is most likely to hit a bicycle user. That's why I believe the 'cutting through' principal is likely to be important. It's sort of like taking 'affirmative social action' to support a disadvantaged minority - there's no scientific proof (that I know of) but the principal seems right!
Savvas.

Well, my point is that it doesn't matter how much light you have with these inattentive drivers. The example on mtbr.com were riders with multiple taillamps, I think one of them had 5, with taillamps that I consider insanely bright (light in a cone, which are fooking annoying for riders behind your). So that motorist either was blind, or did see them but just didn't estimate distances/speed correctly and clipped them. The latter is almost certainly the case.

With too-bright lights you make the road a less safe place, in several situations: E.g. very bright circular headlamp: Opposing traffic can't see anything any more in some situations, not even the road. This means that actually, your very bright lights becomes as I explained in another post a while back, a target to which opposing traffic MUST ride, hoping they won't go into a ditch, or similar.

In city traffic I also consider too bright cone shaped lightbeams dangerous, as they can seriously blind tailing/oncoming cyclists in particular. Perhaps they might be useful in places where there are almost only cars...

BrianMc

Enlightened
Drivers have to expect to see cyclists, be prepared to see cyclists, or they will look right through us. They miss big yellow and black school buses with 4-Way flashers top and middle going. We have all looked for a missing item and not seen it because it was partially covered and we were looking for the entire item, not just a part. So if you are in a hurry and scan for cars, you see only cars, not the scene. Cell phones make this worse. I have gotten the "I didn't see you" with driver's passenger screaming "Look out for the bike!" She forced an oncoming car off the road and parked 50 feet ahead of where she passed me. We had a talk. :) I aim to avoid incidents, bit if I survive an encounter, and it goes to court, my bike should say clearly "The driver, was blind, inattentive, or just plain reckless."

I have done some ride by videos with lots of reflective tape and a reflective vest. The vest beats everything in daylight, even some overcast. These show up decently at short distances in my trucks headlights according to the video riding away. But even on the tops, the front of the vest is nowhere as good as the headlights at night. The video sensitivity is lower that the human eye, even adjusting for that, given I am moving 20-25 feet per second, they do not show well riding across in front of my truck. Sort of "You are about to run over a cyclist" warning. Too little, too late. It is the nature of angle of incidence equalling angle of incidence. The prismatic reflective material is supposed to get around this but I haven't tried any. My vest was mostly above the low beams in the videos filmed at driver eye height. Pumping legs hide the frame reflective stuff.

More on reflective stuff. Check out Mechbgon first page.

BrianMc

swhs

Newly Enlightened
I have done some ride by videos with lots of reflective tape and a reflective vest. The vest beats everything in daylight, even some overcast. These show up decently at short distances in my trucks headlights according to the video riding away. But even on the tops, the front of the vest is nowhere as good as the headlights at night. The video sensitivity is lower that the human eye, even adjusting for that, given I am moving 20-25 feet per second, they do not show well riding across in front of my truck. Sort of "You are about to run over a cyclist" warning. Too little, too late. It is the nature of angle of incidence equalling angle of incidence. The prismatic reflective material is supposed to get around this but I haven't tried any. My vest was mostly above the low beams in the videos filmed at driver eye height. Pumping legs hide the frame reflective stuff.

Regarding reflection, one problem is indeed reflectors not getting lit up by a low beam. But reflective tape on the entire frame should work, and in Europe almost all tyres can be bought in versions with reflective material, so side visibility then isn't a problem.

For visbility from behind or the front, actually pedal reflectors work extremely well... Low enough to be lit up by low beams and they give a up-down moving light that very effectively shows motorists that there's a cyclist.

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
What is it, and can you see it when it applied to the bike or is it clear?

Thats not a before/after image, the bike and camera are the same, the bottom image just adds a flashlight aimed to simulate car headlights. I've added labels to post 4. Its about 30 feet of 2" wide 3M 680-85 Scotchlite Black (+ a few inches of red):

http://www.identi-tape.com/eng-sr2.html

Not a lot of $, but many hours for the complete application. The tape also protects the frame from damage and makes the bike easier to find/identify if stolen.

The glo toob didn't work out, not bright enough.

Last edited:

BrianMc

Enlightened
Regarding reflection, one problem is indeed reflectors not getting lit up by a low beam. But reflective tape on the entire frame should work, and in Europe almost all tyres can be bought in versions with reflective material, so side visibility then isn't a problem.

I have Michelins with reflective stripes on the errand bike. On the other, I have spoke lights and very reflective brass fenders. I still wear the reflective vest at night. My point is not that reflectors don't work. They do and quite well. More is better. The only issue is that they don't come to the party until you are well in the car's headlights, and only from the height of the bars down. For acute angled approaches they show up in headlights in a good amount of time. For right angle cross traffic? Maybe a half second before you are square in front and about to be run over. Alerting the driver that late is not much better than never, as it takes 2 seconds to hit the brakes. They help the "What is that?" question that bike lights can raise. They won't hurt. I just don't bet my life on them. They are a 'defense in depth' type of thing. Fortunately at night, my lights actually work to get people here to actually stop and look at stop signs. Amazing! (Talk about your need for driver re-training!) Reflectors? No way they'd get me that respect. They are looking for lights at night even if not looking for bikes. My twin headlamps plus helmet light look like nothing they know. So they freeze. That works. The green spinning wheel lights look UFOish. Made 'em look!

The link to the Side Visibility thread I gave in Post 3 includes a post about a reflective tape for Deep Vee rims and the like. Velocity makes a titanium gray/bright reflector rim (only twice as much money as the plain version). I am thinking of asking Santa for those as I like my Panaracer TGs (sans reflective stripes). A neat synchronized wheel light that provides a forward white on the front and red light facing rearward on the rear is in another post. A dynamo driven wheel light with brake light feature but wear-prone slip disc contacts is also in a post in that thread. So neat active solutions are being developed. A dyno with power output inside the spokes would be interesting in combo with the wheel lights.

BrianMc

swhs

Newly Enlightened
I have Michelins with reflective stripes on the errand bike. On the other, I have spoke lights and very reflective brass fenders. I still wear the reflective vest at night. My point is not that reflectors don't work. They do and quite well. More is better. The only issue is that they don't come to the party until you are well in the car's headlights, and only from the height of the bars down. For acute angled approaches they show up in headlights in a good amount of time. For right angle cross traffic? Maybe a half second before you are square in front and about to be run over. Alerting the driver that late is not much better than never, as it takes 2 seconds to hit the brakes.

Anyone who takes 2 seconds to brake should lose his licence...

My point is that for low beam to really hit the reflector at large distance you need them mounted low. Not handlebar, far lower. Like pedal reflectors. Like reflectors on tyres. These reflect to nearly 90 degrees so any tiny angle and the reflecting stripe on the tyre will show so they are not just for cross traffic. Rim mounted reflectors won't work so well as the tyres are usually a lot wider. Pedal reflectors are very effective at showing there's a bicycle ahead.

The green spinning wheel lights look UFOish. Made 'em look!

I think that gets into the category "way too distracting therefore making the road as a whole a less safe place"...

BrianMc

Enlightened
Apologies to the OP if he thinks otherwise, but I think the general concept of side visibility pertains and isn't taking over the thread.

Anyone who takes 2 seconds to brake should lose his licence...

Two seconds is the minimum safe following distance because it allows for the recognition of need to brake, the movement of the foot from accelerator to brake pedal and the application of the brake with margin of error for older folks with slower reaction times. With over 1.5 million km of driving in numerous types of vehicles, under a wide range of driving conditions, I have found that to be a bit longer than I need on good dry roads in daylight, but a great rule of thumb. It assumes the car can be braked at least as fast as the vehicle in front. that the driver is attentive and not loading a CD in the player. Longer distances are needed for trucks that brake slower, or in wet roads in case the car ahead has better wet traction, or slides and you need the evasive room.

Since we are talking seeing and braking immediately after launch, drivers aren't going fast unless they are drag racing off the stop sign, then you are 'SOL' anyway. ;( So the actual stopping is very quick, and within the 2 seconds from recognition of the need to stop for most cases. A cyclists we also aren't trying to show up at the last possible instant like some sort of Ninja 'flasher'. Rain and other factors enter in. So I respectfully disagree that the 2 seconds is too long a lead time, as do the authors of every driving safety book I have read. Even if drivers can brake faster, in my environment, they are not expecting a cyclist so there is likely a bigger time lag to recognize and initiate action. So if I am riding at 25-33 kph, side reflectors don't come into play soon enough to be a big enough help with cross traffic unless overhead lighting makes them show sooner than the car's headlights do. I stand by the idea that unless you are riding very slowly, side reflectors don't contribute enough visibility soon enough for me to bet my life on them alone. You are free to do so, but good lights are required there, whereas a weak flashlight and a rear reflector, suffice here. I ride as I would love other cyclists to ride. I do *not* want or need that kind of mistake on my conscience, I trust other drivers don't either, so i hap all I can and don't expect too much of them, whether they are supposed to give it or no..

My point is that for low beam to really hit the reflector at large distance you need them mounted low. Not handlebar, far lower.

I believe you misunderstood my meaning. They don't show up above handle bar height very well. So the implication is that they must be below that maximum to have much chance. So we in fact agree on that. I don't speak or read Dutch at all, so understand I am not being critical of your language skills, just clarifying what I was trying to say, (maybe not very well). :)

Like pedal reflectors. Like reflectors on tyres. These reflect to nearly 90 degrees so any tiny angle and the reflecting stripe on the tyre will show so they are not just for cross traffic. Rim mounted reflectors won't work so well as the tyres are usually a lot wider. Pedal reflectors are very effective at showing there's a bicycle ahead.

First, i said at low angles they work. They are part of a full visibility package. There is enough time. I didn't say my lights beat my reflectors hands down at angles too, so I will now, because they do.

I just tested my tire sidewalls and pedals in a dark room. Yes there is a small return from a light at angles other the the incidence reflectance ideal. It is so small as to be inconsequential for the edge of a car's headlights when it is at a cross street. Elderly drivers with less night vision but enough to still drive, would not see them at all IMHO because the video camera didn't. In my ride by videos of my truck lights on high or low beam, the front tire reflective stripe was so weak on first entering the trucks headlights as to be useless and it was within the 2 seconds of being in front of the vehicle, what I would at least call 'cutting it to close for comfort'. As to rims, it depends on the rim My classic 30 year old Gentleman 27" shallow rims would show little, you are right. They are retired as in 'no longer used' not with new rubber. :) The Deep Vees have a 22 mm band inside of the brake surface, and if I had disc brakes, the braking surface would also be available for reflective material. The tire stripes are about 5-6 mm in comparison. So in the case of rims it depends. There are even deeper rims than the Deep Vees.

As to *any* reflector whether on a pedal or not, being lit from a light shining straight on it, they work great. Pedal one are especially useful for bike identification as you point out. In fact the effectiveness is a function of that direct light so bike reflectors in the US have three sections with the side ones tilted back a bit to catch light from a vehicle in the lane on either side. But pedal reflectors don't show for all intents and purposes in the beams of a car at a cross street.

This side visibility is complicated. I was appalled at how little most reflectors showed in video in a cross street scenario. Even allowing for more sensitive human eyes, i had to give them an 'F' grade.

I think that gets into the category "way too distracting therefore making the road as a whole a less safe place"...

I am sorry. Distracting? You make that sound like a negative. :) I am often the only vehicle in the vicinity other than the one at the cross street. What does the driver have to be doing *other* than seeing me and avoiding a collision with me? So I am not distracting him or her from driving, but on the contrary am bringing them out of a stupor to pay attention. Too many here are distracted on their cell phones or by their overloud stereos, or even texting. I *need* to distract them back to the job at hand: driving safely. It is a visual 'dumb slap'. Fortunately these bad drivers are so common that the good ones know exactly what I am about. Actually they fear for my life, to tell you the truth, so I get a lot of slack, not flack.. That you have better behaved and careful attentive drivers, is great for you. I can only wish, and learn to play the cards that I am dealt here.

Wheel reflectors that are at least as bright as my wheel lights when headlights shine on them are not only legal, but required on all new bikes here (federal law) although they are not required in the vehicle code (state law). So what is the difference between my spoke light active system and those reflectors? Mine show up at a greater distance and in plenty of time to let the driver make a safe decision. The spoke reflectors don't for cross traffic, the very thing they are intended for.

Unless we move to like environs, we will likely have to agree to disagree, on some of this. People on this forum are not idiots, they will know whether their riding situation calls for a high level of 'distraction' or not. I am not imposing my will on anyone. I am not even recruiting members to my club. I am merely reporting what my evaluations have told me.

I once rode with a small to be seen light (incandescent flashlight, so take 'to be seen' lightly, more to be legal) and a rear reflector only. The streets were very well lit. The drivers were very aware of cyclists. The drivers obeyed stop, yield, and traffic lights.On campus here were some bike lanes avoiding some bad spots. There were no cell phones then. No texting. Though 8 tracks and cassettes could jamb up. It was a whole different urban riding experience. I was able to keep up with traffic then, too. Unless there is a good tailwind, those days are gone. ;(

No rancor intended. I hope this clarifies things.

BrianMc

jtr1962

Flashaholic
I had purchased some of those spoke lights (most likely a different make/model than BrianMc) but took it off after testing it. Why? The thing causes horrible wheel imbalance (I avoid wheel reflectors for the same reason), even at a fairly sedate 20 mph. I suppose you could mount a pair on opposite sides of the wheel to counteract this, but the point is the manufacturer didn't even consider this factor, perhaps by also including counterweights. I won't even get into what it does for the aerodynamics of the wheel by sticking out past the spokes, and churning up air. I suppose these things are OK for people who rarely ride more than 10, perhaps 15 mph. All I know is they would have shaken me to death on a fast descent. Best thing if you ask me might be to put a bunch of lights all over the sides of the bike frame. Functionally this would attract attention the way spoke lights or wheel reflectors might, but without the imbalance issues.

On another note, I tend to ride in such a way that my safety isn't dependent upon others seeing me. It's a good idea, for example, to look both ways and cover the brake at every intersection, even if you legally have the right-of-way. A red light or stop sign isn't a magical force field which will stop cross traffic.

neal71

Newly Enlightened
If someone hits me, whether they saw me or "didn't see me", they are going to be buying me a new bike. I always obey traffic laws and signal all of my turns. Bicycles have the same rights as an automobile. Ridiculous that most drivers are not even remotely aware of this fact.